I have a custom taylor t5... it's spruce top and i'm playin through a ibanez troubador for acoustic stuff and i'm tryin to get up money for a new electric amp (which i could use suggestions).. i've been playin acoustic since last october and i'm new to the whole electric guitar thing... i'm wantin to play some hendrix, SRV, and some john mayer... i'm tryin to work on how to get john mayer's tone and what effects i should use... i need help.. i'm learnin gravity right now and i dunno i just don't have the tone... help
Well, all three of them use Strats, which produce that quacky tone.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Well, if I was in your position, I'd look for a tube amp, preferably a Fender (don't be afraid to look at used stuff), but if not a Fender, something with that vintage clean voicing, so Traynor, Crate Palomino, Peavey Classic 30, something along those lines.
Hi, I'm Peter
You'll probably want a Tubescreamer or some overdrive pedal. Other than that, it's hard to piece together all the effects that Mayer uses. He's got an infinite number of amps to draw from as well as effects.
Hi, I'm Peter
Check out on these forums: www.mystupidmouth.com
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i agree with dirk, something like a blues junior and a strat is probably your best option- though your best bet is to try your current guitar through that amp- with any luck, that might get you close enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?