I want to do a music course in college next year and it is required that you are grade 5 on at least one instrument, I should be about grade 3 on the drums at that point since I am taking lessons but I want my grade 5 to be on bass. Im a self taught bassist and I probobly don't know as much of the theory as I should. Im going to look into getting a teacher but do you guys have any further advice?
the bass key would be a problem to you i guess
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
the bass key would be a problem to you i guess

If you mean reading music in the bass clef, I'm able to do that although I am slow at reading :P.
well.. i play trombone..(bass) for the 2nd year now... but i've been playing flute for a long time... (like 9 years of musical education) it took like 2 weeks for me to read sheets with a deacent speed

go for it i say... but practice a lot.. and i mean it.. a lot :P
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
www.musictheory.net

Study that, and play and practice like a beast.

Less worrying, more playing, that's what got me into music A Level from the same situation
Thanks for reading
at my school (penn state university) we have intro classes for people that have never picked up an instrument... check for that, it may be simple but it will probably help
Thanks for the advice, can anyone reccomend any good grade 5 books? You know the ones where you pick 2 peices and play them to a backing track on the CD?
I presume you're in the UK, so look out for a Rockschool grade 5 book, which looks like so:
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
I presume you're in the UK, so look out for a Rockschool grade 5 book, which looks like so:

I've seen that book somewhere, I look into picking it up.

Thanks
Quote by sinan90

Seriously, grade 5 on that thing is so bloody easy. It's watered down.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Dude, if you are capable of playing tab, and scales at 140bpm, just get Grade 8.

It's really not that hard.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
That grade 5 book is really easy. I was using it a few weeks ago and it was no harder than the grade 4 books imo. You shouldn't have any problem playing the songs, just learn the theory and scales.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
If your British, is it That Institute place in London you are talking about? I was thinking of going to that, but I'm a low level four, as far as I can tell atleast by looking through the Rock School books, not that I have tried anything higher.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
If your British, is it That Institute place in London you are talking about? I was thinking of going to that, but I'm a low level four, as far as I can tell atleast by looking through the Rock School books, not that I have tried anything higher.

Nah it's a college in Hull, I'll have to pick up both the grade 5 and 8 books and learn some peices from 'em hopefully it will be as easy as you guys say it is .
Well Music Theory isnt to hard.

Bass Clef will take a day to learn properbly. But you can get the Associate Board Of Music theory books that will help, or pastpapers
w00t someone else that knows where penn state is! Main, behrend, or beaver? But anyways, I strongly suggest getting a teacher. Having another person explain things is often times better than reading out of a book, and he or she can show you lots of things they have learned in their experience that you won't find in a book anywhere.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
If you're doing guitar grades, I assume you're British.

Check out the courses at the Academy of Contemporary Music at www.acm.ac.uk . You might be interested in that Diploma.

I'm hoping to do a degree in electric guitar there next year

-EDIT- Don't do Rockschool, it's a joke of a grade.

If you do your grades with the Registry Of Guitar Tutors (RGT) you don't need to audition at ACM(if you end up wanting to go there for college or whatever), just show proof of your grades with RGT.

Last edited by Steve The Plank at Oct 31, 2007,
i was wondering about this kind of thing too, as i've just started doing Music AS level at college and was looking into what stuff id need to be able to play for a performance, as i dont really have any idea on how hard/easy grade 5+ stuff is for guitar or bass. Hopefully it shouldnt be too bad though, although i don't really have anything to go by yet. is there anywhere on the internet you can find tabs for the grade pieces as i suck at sight reading, although i know for that question i might just get flamed. alot. =p
Quote by Steve The Plank
If you're doing guitar grades, I assume you're British.

Check out the courses at the Academy of Contemporary Music at www.acm.ac.uk . You might be interested in that Diploma.

If you do your grades with the Registry Of Guitar Tutors (RGT) you don't need to audition at ACM(if you end up wanting to go there for college or whatever), just show proof of your grades with RGT.

I live about 20 mins away from the ACM, their evening teaching courses I have found to be pretty hopeless, I'm not sure about their degrees though.

And TS, Grade 5 for the Rockschool grades really is easy, and I bought the grade 6 book and found that not much different, you don't need to be at any high level of reading, just know your scales/arepeggios and have basic theory knowledge and reading skill and you will be fine.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I picked up the Rock School Grade 5 book today, Im starting with "Bust Up" then I'm going to move to "D&A" then gonna do "All Funked Up" when my slap tech is down.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What is required for Grade 5 bass?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by chrisbeevor
www.musictheory.net

Study that, and play and practice like a beast.

Less worrying, more playing, that's what got me into music A Level from the same situation

Dude. That website is amazing.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS