Hello

Our school music dept. has recently acquired a BRAND NEW Behringer GMX1200 head. It is run through a 4x12 Laney cabinet (model, wattage and impendance unknown)

Now, the head works, unless you turn on a reverb effect. All the other built in effects work, but put a reverb on and the amp makes a very loud hissing noise - kind of like a radio that's not tuned to anything. The hissing goes down as you turn down the effect level.
It occasionally disappears if you play for a minute or so, but it sometimes comes back.

It's not the guitar, or the cable. I tried several of each. The hissing is still there even when there's nothign plugged in.

What could it be? All I can think of is interference, as there are computers and fluorescent lights nearby.
Take it back to where they bought it and tell the shop owners. They should replace it if it's faulty when new.
Reverb does ocassionally make some amps hiss a little more than usual, but shouldn't be as bad as what your describing.
May be faulty, try getting it took back and replacing it.

Quote by drjimuk
One of the main reasons is probably the fact it's a Behringer. Cheap gear = cheap quality.

Behringer are quite good in my opinion.
The studio gear they sell is amazing and the effects aren't bad for a budget or beginners.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Reverb does ocassionally make some amps hiss a little more than usual, but shouldn't be as bad as what your describing.
May be faulty, try getting it took back and replacing it.

Behringer are quite good in my opinion.
The studio gear they sell is amazing and the effects aren't bad for a budget or beginners.

The effects suck hard considering the fact that you can get BOSS or Electro harmonix for 10 bucks more.
Quote by sashki
The effects suck hard considering the fact that you can get BOSS or Electro harmonix for 50 bucks more.

There, fixed it for you.
I'd guess Boss is cheaper in states or something? That or the good ol' stuff-is-more-expensive-in-Finland thing, but really. Behringer stuff is way cheaper. Worse, yes, but cheaper.
Quote by Fama
I'd guess Boss is cheaper in states or something? That or the good ol' stuff-is-more-expensive-in-Finland thing, but really. Behringer stuff is way cheaper. Worse, yes, but cheaper.

I'm in switzerland. Literally, everything sold here is twice the price as it is in America™.
Behringer stuff is cheap, but you get waht you pay for, and not in a good way.
You can get a used (ie brand new unwanted gift) boss pedal for the same price. And I've seen DS-1's on sale for the same price as any Behringer.
You can pick up Behringer pedals from £6.50/$13.00 to however much they are, they aren't expensive.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do