im trying to get a sound of like nu metal or grunge music, i need to know what kind of guitar would be best, and what strings i should use
A schecter hell raiser would serve you well.
Its perfect for drop tuning (for the nu metal) and comes with great pickups for getting the sound you want.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
There is no specific guitar. Avoid Floyd Rose trems though, as they are hard to work with for down tuning. Otherwise, find something you like. Really though, in terms of the guitars they used, Nu-metal and grunge are apples and oranges. I would set my guitar up for nu-metal though: No trem, High output humbuckers, and 24 frets. The rest is wide open, but that setup gurantees you can do most nu-metal stuff. Better to buy a guitar that covers the extremes of what you're playing then one that does a limited amount and struggles with anything else.
Quote by skud47
im trying to get a sound of like nu metal or grunge music, i need to know what kind of guitar would be best, and what strings i should use

The first place you should be looking is the amp, not the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
For Nu-Metal put bass strings on your guitar, it gives the bass and low end you need for Nu-Metal.
Quote by budgetminded
For Nu-Metal put bass strings on your guitar, it gives the bass and low end you need for Nu-Metal.

uh no...bass strings are just too thick for a 6 string guitar unless he wants to severly drop tune. 12sand 13s are fine and 11s can cut it too.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
what kind of budget?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
...rough estimate of how much you can spend
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I can't think of what would put out a nu metal and grunge sound. Grunge is mostly a single-coil tone with overdrive and loud, boutique amps, and light strings. Nu Metal is humbucker tone with several distortions at once and compressed, modeling amps and heavy strings.

So gettin' it in one stone might be hard. Of course this is just my opinion.
Yet still no mention of tha amp

I can't think of what would put out a nu metal and grunge sound. Grunge is mostly a single-coil tone with overdrive and loud, boutique amps, and light strings. Nu Metal is humbucker tone with several distortions at once and compressed, modeling amps and heavy strings.

That's an incredibly inaccurate, incredibly specific generalisation...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You shoulda quoted the last part sentence as well. I know there's an exception to everything. I have more of a grungy sound and use 14s.
i say roland cube, heavy gauge strings (.012 0r .013) if you are going to use really low tunings (drop B or standard C)