I just bought an Epiphone Sheraton guitar off ebay and am going to pick it up in person.
I am really pleased that i bought it but when i go pick it up i am going to check it out before handing over the money. It is an early 80's japanese made custom edition (quite rare as well) so is there anything i really need to look out for?? how do i check to see if the trussword is fine etc?? Obiously i can tell certain things like electronic by playing it and stuff so what do i need to look out for???
Look at the condition of the hardware. Make sure the tuners are working and not back lashing, which can be a sign of worn gears. Make sure the neck is straight. Also look over for stress cracks on the neck and headstock joint. Another thing to consider is how worn the frets are, and the condition of the electronics, two things that can be hard to replace, especially the electronics on that. Listen for crackly pots and loud or sticking switch. Also look out for screws with worn heads, especially philips head, as if you ever need to take them off, it can be hard or even impossible.
Feel the headstock for little lumps/dents/high-low points to see if it's be repaired before, same goes for the neck.
It'll have binding, check none of it is hanging off or uneven, it'll cost a bit to get it redone.
Raised/lifting frets, play the 7th on the G & the 17th on the B checking for buzz or unfrettable areas.
Check itonation, ect.
Body cracks, ect.
Neck Bow is the truss rod part, check it doesn't have any bow and make sure you get it set up when changing the strings for your first time to make sure it's in perfect condition.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Check for fretwear, make sure there's no big ass grooves in the frets. Other than that, these other dudes pretty much covered it

\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Chances are, it will be sweet. Just check the obvious signs, rusting hardware or anything like that is a no no buy. Any cracks in the wood is also a sign of a no sale. Make sure no repairs have been made to the neck, headstock and also check the neck joint.

For the truss rod, you can hold the guitar up, body facing you, and look down the neck, see if the neck is bent. Most guitars will have a slight dip in the middle/a banana shape.. Thats perfectly normal. What you don't want is a concave shape or an extremely dipped neck.

Then just play around a little, go up every fret making sure it sounds the notes etc etc.

I think that about covers it.. Just have a little strum, you should definately find out if you want to buy it then.

Nice guitar btw :-)
Cheers for the advice. Judging by the pics that WERE (should have saved them before buying) on ebay it looked in great condition though the camera can lie lol and i have never bought a guitar off ebay before. Obviously **** frets are a worry so if it does come with **** frets how much shall is a decent refret ie how much shall i bring the price down by?

EDIT: In the UK
make sure someone didnt take a dump inside of it. that would suck. and if you see something wrong ask him to see if he knows what hes talking about... for example you see an obvious repaired neck, cracked or broken, then ask him if he has had it broken and repaired before, and be like "yeah i dont see anything but i wanna make sure" and if he says no, hes a lying bastard and you cannot trust anything that he says, ive done this before because i deal locally ALOT
Ooh that things a beaut!
But the pickguard on that (T/S), I've only ever seen on the Natural & Ebony coloured models.
I've seen them in that colour but it had more of a pearl coloured P/G.

Edit:
The logo & headstock looks different too compared to my 88 LP, but obv. thats a different age really.

Re-Edit:
How much did you or are you going to pay for this?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Oct 31, 2007,
i payed slightly more than a new one. It comes with a good case though and is FAR superior in build quality as new ones are chinese sometimes korean and this is Japanese. I was also wandering about the pickguard too. The seller fortunately seemed to know what he was on about so i doubt i am getting ripped off and if that is the case i just wont hand over my cash!!!

EDIT: the headstock logo is only found like that on early to mid matsumoku built sheratons so i doubt you'll find a les paul with a similar headstock.
Last edited by bobeatsbob at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by bobeatsbob
i payed slightly more than a new one. It comes with a good case though and is FAR superior in build quality as new ones are chinese sometimes korean and this is Japanese. I was also wandering about the pickguard too. The seller fortunately seemed to know what he was on about so i doubt i am getting ripped off and if that is the case i just wont hand over my cash!!!

EDIT: the headstock logo is only found like that on early to mid matsumoku built sheratons so i doubt you'll find a les paul with a similar headstock.

Holy crap, thats an "Uncle Mat"? Sweet find!