I've been learning some scales, but when reading up I sometimes find: "Learn ALL major scales".

My question is: "Isn't the major scale just a pattern?"

I've had the understanding that as long as I know, say the minor pentatonic, I can play it from the first or the 15th fret if I so please. It doesn't matter. The only difference is that on the first fret it's an F scale and on the 15th fret it's a G scale.

Am I wrong?

(I guess this is topic #2²³ but I couldn't find anything on the subject)
The answer to the question is probably yes. It may however be talking about modes...there are a number of variations of scales which can be major, minor or (I think locrian is) diminished...correct me if I'm wrong someone...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by riwa
I've been learning some scales, but when reading up I sometimes find: "Learn ALL major scales".

My question is: "Isn't the major scale just a pattern?"

I've had the understanding that as long as I know, say the minor pentatonic, I can play it from the first or the 15th fret if I so please. It doesn't matter. The only difference is that on the first fret it's an F scale and on the 15th fret it's a G scale.

Am I wrong?

(I guess this is topic #2²³ but I couldn't find anything on the subject)

Exactly, scales are just a pattern of intervals which can be applied to any key...therefore if you know your way around the fretboard if you learn a scale in one key you've learned it in all keys.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks. It's been haunting me for weeks. And now I finally have a good reason to learn the fretboard.