Page 1 of 3
Are there any. I love shred and instrumental rock but I also love catchy pop rock. Do you know of any bands in the genre through in more that just the expected four chords?
Bayside- The Walking Wounded

it's a pretty damn good solo for a pop-punk song
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Early Green Day has some good solos. and when i say early, i mean the very first LPs. Earlier than Dookie. Hes actually not bad.
Clean Sheets and 'Merican by The Descendents have awesome solos in them. Also, the Judge's Daughter by Green Day has an incredibly badass solo in it. Believe it or not, Billie Joe actually can solo quite well, he just chooses not to as of late.
Don't know if Green Day's pop-punk, but the "solo" to Wake Me Up When September Ends is pretty darn fitting.

And isn't this the wrong forum?
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Dude, the Brownsound's solos in Sum 41 kicked ASS.

Go listen to Reign In Pain, The Hell Song and Pain for Pleasure.
Misery Business - Paramore

Not really a solo, but it's bitching cool. Actually, the 'Riot!' album is cool.
NOPE.
I love the solo in "Worry Rock" by Green Day, from the album "Nimrod."

That's just a pretty good album. From before they sucked.
Can't stop the signal.
Quote by Sly Taco
good solo's in pop/punk!!
thats funny,

I get it, because pop-punk is supposedly crap.
Funny stuff.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
I like the solo in Let it happen off jimmy eat worlds latest album, hmm otherwise Sorrow by Bad Religion and the solo in the kids aren't alright are alright too, loads of great solos in pop punk.

Oh and I agree Sum 41 is not bad, listen to no brains I love that solo.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by denizenz
This is like asking for the most influential quote from an issue of Seventeen Magazine. Useless.

You read Seventeen magazine??
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
You read Seventeen magazine??

I have two younger sisters and I'm married. I know what's up, and even if I didn't, I could make a fairly accurate assumption as to content just by reading the title.
The Hell Song - Sum 41
Best Thing In Town - Green Day
My Generation - Green Day
Dead! - My Chemical Romance
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
Chain Me Free - The Matches
Sick Little Suicide - The Matches (more punk than pop-punk but whatever)
Shoot Me In the Smile - The Matches (although their second album is more alt really)
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Nothing Wrong - Jimmy Eat World
Just Tonight - Jimmy Eat World
(These three from Jimmy are incredibly easy, but sound cool. Still, on that basis, I suppose we could include more Green Day solos.)

I wouldn't class them as pop-punk, just mainstream rock, but some do so:
Everyday Combat, 4AM Forever, Heaven For the Weather, We Still Kill the Old Way, etc. - Lostprophets

EDIT: If we blur the lines between punk and pop-punk a bit, check out NOFX, Rancid, The Offspring, Dead Kennedys, Anti-Flag's latest work, and a little Rise Against. EDIT2: And some Bad Religion. They have some really good solos.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by denizenz
This is like asking for the most influential quote from an issue of Seventeen Magazine. Useless.

well there may not be that many but like most things theres probably something that stands out. The best of a bad bunch will do
Quote by denizenz
I have two younger sisters and I'm married. I know what's up, and even if I didn't, I could make a fairly accurate assumption as to content just by reading the title.

Man, you're only 25!?

I thought you were ancient like Jackal.
it makes me sad so few pop punk bands have been mentioned.

The Descendents have some damn good solos. The Buzzcocks bust it out too sometimes, if I'm not mistaken.
And seeing the Queer live, they ain't half bad.

EDIT: I may be. I lost my Buzzcocks album a while ago
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Oct 31, 2007,
NOFX

Or Motion City Soundtrack
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by Jett Diamond
it makes me sad so few pop punk bands have been mentioned

The Descendents have some damn good solos. The Buzzcocks bust it out too sometimes, if I'm not forgotten.
And seeing the Queer live, they ain't half bad.

Not particularly well...

Although I did forget the Descendents...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yet again people don't know what real pop punk is. There were only like 3 or 4 real pop punk bands named. That said The Judges Daughter has a pretty cool solo.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Pop-punk forum much? Green corn by Nofx is pretty good. Anyway, you should put this there.

EDIT:
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yet again people don't know what real pop punk is. The only pop punk bands mentioned so far are Descendents and Green Day. That said The Judges Daughter has a pretty cool solo.

I was just waiting for someone from the punk forum to show up and tell everyone their bands weren't real pop punk.

Nofx aren't really either, but what can ya do.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Last edited by Mr_Jubby_Jubs at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by Vermintide
Dude, the Brownsound's solos in Sum 41 kicked ASS.

Go listen to Reign In Pain, The Hell Song and Pain for Pleasure.

indeed. no brains is one of my fav solos
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Pop punk isn't about solos

It's about chewing bubble gum
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yet again people don't know what real pop punk is. The only pop punk bands mentioned so far are Descendents and Green Day. That said The Judges Daughter has a pretty cool solo.

Don't go all Genre-Nazi on us. In fact, because you said that, you have to give us genres to classify all the other bands with from now on, or we will continue to call them pop-punk, as they incorporate both pop vocal melody, ethics and production with punk style instrumentation.

Yeah that's right, I challenged your self-righteous ass.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
^ A challenger appears.

EDIT: I've been looking for more pop punk songs with solos for this thread, there's surprisingly few, even for pop punk.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Last edited by Mr_Jubby_Jubs at Oct 31, 2007,
Machine gun by SUM 41 is also pretty good. Actually pretty much all of their solos from "All Killer No Filler" and "Does This Look Infected" are pretty good. Especially No Brains and The Hell Song.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Quote by break-me-in
Don't go all Genre-Nazi on us. In fact, because you said that, you have to give us genres to classify all the other bands with from now on, or we will continue to call them pop-punk, as they incorporate both pop vocal melody, ethics and production with punk style instrumentation.

Most of the bands posted in here are pop rock bands. I don't hear anything pop punk about Paramore.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by break-me-in

Punk is about playing simple rock and roll fast and intensely. Not playing 3 power chords per song and whining about feelings.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yet again people don't know what real pop punk is. There were only like 3 or 4 real pop punk bands named. That said The Judges Daughter has a pretty cool solo.

Hey, guess what!

Nobody cares.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by rorythefaggot
Hey, guess what!

Nobody cares.

I care.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by rorythefaggot
Hey, guess what!

Nobody cares.
I care too.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 3