When you record a cover of a song by another band, or from tunes from all sorts of different media, besides giving credit to the original writers of the song, do you still have to pay royalties to the band/writer who wrote the song?

I was never sure of this, so I ask for the Pit's assistance.

"Yo momma!" jokes are tolerated.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
if you make any money off of a song you did not write you have to pay royalties to the original songwriter.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
If u play it live, then u dont have to do anything. But if u plan on selling it, im pretty sure u have to get written consent from the original authors, as well as give credit and pay royalties.
Quote by qotsa1998
If u play it live, then u dont have to do anything. But if u plan on selling it, im pretty sure u have to get written consent from the original authors, as well as give credit and pay royalties.

you don't need consent.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
you don't need consent.

Good, because I was about to ask how I might go about contacting the band in that case.

Also, what percentage of the money made from selling the track would constitute as enough to pay the writer(s)?
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Reject_666_6
Good, because I was about to ask how I might go about contacting the band in that case.

Also, what percentage of the money made from selling the track would constitute as enough to pay the writer(s)?

whatever their royalty deal with the publishing company is.

Here's the moral of the story, if you record covers, and don't have a record company to figure this stuff out, give the cds away for free.
Quote by civildp1
whatever their royalty deal with the publishing company is.

Here's the moral of the story, if you record covers, and don't have a record company to figure this stuff out, give the cds away for free.

It was just hypothetical anyway...
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO