Page 1 of 3
Hey,

I've been playing now for like almost 3 years and realised i dont actually know how good i am. I mean ive watched other guys and all that but i dont know what i should be able to play by this stage. so i figured now would be a good oppertunity to help people measure their progress against what other people could do at the similar stage. This isnt an excuse to gloat or chat rubbish but an honest attempt to try and work out how good you are. If people can just post how long they've been playing and what they can play as like their technical max then maybe it would help a few people work otu where they're at.

My personal high points are:

Guns n roses - sweet child of mine
Rhcp - higher ground
Rhcp - pretty little ditty
Anti flag - this is the end

thanks and hope it helps others as well
well ive been playing for 2 years and my high points are
damage inc-metallica
get up and jump-rhcp
aces high by iron maiden

P.S

you shouldn't worry about how good you are, i guess i beat all the hardcores but its not a competetion as im sure you will hear MANY times along this thread.
And there are many people who dispise these kinds of threads because alot of people may jsut be like your lieing, they want videos

but jsut incase ill lend you my flame proof suit

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
guitar experience helps

i could play blackeyed blonde and slap triplets at 160bpm after like 6 months of owning a bass

but yea, flameshield ftw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
If u can play Sweet Child O Mine, ur pretty good. I can play some of it, but not the solo. The best thing i can play is probably the solo in No One Knows, and the run in Heart in a Cage. But i kno alot of songs actually. Not too many of em are that hard tho. To my high points, ill add Master of Puppets. But not all of it. Im no where close on the solo. And im pretty close to where u are as far as playing time goes.
Quote by qotsa1998
If u can play Sweet Child O Mine, ur pretty good. I can play some of it, but not the solo. The best thing i can play is probably the solo in No One Knows, and the run in Heart in a Cage. But i kno alot of songs actually. Not too many of em are that hard tho. To my high points, ill add Master of Puppets. But not all of it. Im no where close on the solo. And im pretty close to where u are as far as playing time goes.

are you talking guitar?

cause if your talking bass that doesn't make alot of sence

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Quote by qotsa1998

solo?
High point? I don't know, probably learning how to tonicize properly with diminished, V, V7, and bII7 (tritone subs), using smooth chord voicings. That last is still on the rocks, but I'm coming close.

By the way, the whole premise behind this thread is foolish. The only measure of how good you are is by comparison. Someone could do something impressive that I can't but maybe I can do something better than someone else in another area. Also, the whole idea of comparing yourself to others, period, is foolish. Just play to the best of your ability and improve at your pace. That is what music is about.
How good am I? Never as good as I would like to be.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I suck after 6 years, but what i lack in my bass skills I like to think I make up in creativeness.
hmm, id say im not too good.

ive been playing for about 4 years now I think
my high points would be:
Zepplin:
Dazed & Confused,
Immigrant Song,
Good Times Bad Times

Anti-Flag: Press Corpse

Deep Purple:
Highway Star,
Black Night,
Smoke on the Water (If you're not an idiot and don't just play roots and learn it properly!)
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by sinan90

Or better than I was yesterday, worse than tomorrow.

A new teacher has pushed me dramatically forward in my playing, and I've learned to really use bass chords effectively in solo jazz, and my tone has improved greatly. But on any average day I feel I am still light years where I want or need to be.
Quote by destroy_techno
solo?

I think he means the bit under the guitar solo, the bass is up and somewhat syncopated around the 12th fret...I hope he doesn't mean the octave part following it.

Quote by sinan90

+1...I always say: "Okay, I'll learn x and then I'll never call myself a bad bassist again."

Never works.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Even if you are extremely good you will always feel that you need to be better. Don't compare yourself to others there's always someone who's better and it'll make you feel like a bad bassist.

EDIT:
Quote by sammcl-15
I think he means the bit under the guitar solo, the bass is up and somewhat syncopated around the 12th fret...I hope he doesn't mean the octave part following

Nah, I checked his profile he's a guitarist, I think he's talking about guitar
Last edited by destroy_techno at Oct 31, 2007,
All of my greatest musical accomplishments happened between September and now and they have very little to do with my actual bass playing proficiency.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Comparing yourself to others makes you want to get better, that is why it's good to find out how well other people play. No one wants to be below average, so compete as much as you can. One must also remember that it's not the amount of years you've been playing, but more so the amount of hours that you play.
I'm the best I've ever been, but hopefully not the best I'll ever be.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
1 month high points would be RATM - Killing in the Name, Greenday - Longview, and i havent learned the whole thing yet but i have down about half of Anesthesia and Hysteria

i think learning theory and techniques would be a way to go once familiar with strings and pace so that i can be a bit more creative on my own.
I can play the Enzyte song.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
My personal high points would be a song I wrote, YYZ by Rush and Silence Calls The Storm by Quo Vadis, I was incredibly pleased when I found that I could actually play the 32nd notes in SCTS.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
ive played for 2 months...

paralell universe-rhcp
santeria-sublime
intro to sweet child o mine-guns n roses
enter sandman-metallica

i think thats perty good...but i have played piano for like ever...and am a beast at it...and that helps
Quote by thefitz
All of my greatest musical accomplishments happened between September and now and they have very little to do with my actual bass playing proficiency.

what have you done?

As far as being a composer, I'm happy with my progress, but nowhere near what I think my potential is... and I want to shatter my potential and go beyond it.

I'm never truly happy with my bass playing. I'm always picking out stuff to improve. My current nag is getting up to 12nps (fingerstyle) by March.
Quote by Narcotics
what have you done?

Well, in my 4 gigs I've won studio time and a music video and I got an audition for Bodog's reality show, but that's neither here nor there.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
2 and a half months nearly

Gimme Ad - Parkway Drive
Romance Is Dead - Parkway Drive
Hysteria - Muse
&& Paint It Black - The Agony Scene

In the process of learning In Dying Days by As Blood Runs Black
Quote by thefitz
Well, in my 4 gigs I've won studio time and a music video and I got an audition for Bodog's reality show, but that's neither here nor there.

HOW?!!!

lmao
i wish i got that kind of **** in 4 gigs
ive had 2 (one of wich at the second biggest stage in the city) and i get $50 from a charity organization that we did it for and a call back (wich lead to the one at the big place)

Quote by Narcotics
HOW?!!!

lmao
i wish i got that kind of **** in 4 gigs
ive had 2 (one of wich at the second biggest stage in the city) and i get $50 from a charity organization that we did it for and a call back (wich lead to the one at the big place)

Toronto is still a happening city musically. Lucky for us, a lot of the bands suck. However I shouldn't really be talking because we didn't advance in the million dollar audition thing - and there were more bands that advanced than there were ones who didn't. Oh well, that was our 4th show ever. We've got time.

Anyway, sorry to hijack there. I'm just so depressed that epiphonesg41 'h8s me'.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
damn winnipeg....this place is tapped :p

haha its okay man im sure your jus t torn apart, its always kinda fun when drunks hate you

Last edited by Narcotics at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by peter_doughton
Hey,
I've been playing now for like almost 3 years and realised i dont actually know how good i am.
thanks and hope it helps others as well

personally, i suck less than i used to.
how long you been playin rick?

I don't really get this thread, I don't want to compare myself to people I've never seen play. Listing covers mean nothing, even the crappiest bassist can master a song if he puts his mind to it. It sounds really corny but its true, I'm pretty terrible but I've done Under the Bridge and Universally Speaking (look it up, its a great song and fun to play).
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
3 Years

When I learned the Master of Puppets album last year
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'N' Roses
Now You've Got Something To Die For - Lamb Of God
Prometherion - Behemoth
And when I first learned Right Now - Korn, because I used a lot of slap, thumb-pinky slap, and pop (overall I loved learning the Take A Look In The Mirror album).
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by In_This_Moment
2 and a half months nearly

Gimme Ad - Parkway Drive
Romance Is Dead - Parkway Drive
Hysteria - Muse
&& Paint It Black - The Agony Scene

In the process of learning In Dying Days by As Blood Runs Black

lawl i kid in my music class only just learned that (hysteria) and still struggles with it nd hes been going for like 2.5 years
I am me. Live with it.
I've been playing for 18 months and I can dooo

Master of puppets
Orion
War pigs (not note for note tho...I improv/make up the crazy parts)

There really the only super impressive stuff. Theres a fair bit more..just lazy lines really. I've done some originals and am learning walking lines/better theroy in general
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by DeAd-RiP
lawl i kid in my music class only just learned that (hysteria) and still struggles with it nd hes been going for like 2.5 years

People catch onto things alot easier than others. I havnt played it in a while so i wouldnt have it sounding mint but yeah. This kid would be a good all round player if hes been playing for 2 and a hlaf years.
Highpoints after 1 year of playing:
Opeth - Leper Affinity
Opeth - Drapery Falls
Death - Spirit Crusher
Porcupine Tree - Shallow

1 Live Performance playing:
2 own songs
Bloodbath - Like Fire
Sisters of no Mercy - No Time to Cry
Last edited by LitanY at Nov 1, 2007,
I've been playing for 1 year and 3 months. I can't provide proof for my progression in playing covers as that is not my focus. I am more pleased with how I am coping in a band situation: coming up with riffs for songs, improving my timing and playing gigs.

We've now got a pretty big gig in Exeter supporting a band that played at download: Panic Cell.
signature
I've been playing for 1.8 years:

Overture 1928 - Dream Theater
Infinite Dreams - Iron Maiden (Harris has a bloody fantastic right hand technique)
Hysteria - Muse

Well I know a lot of other songs, but I think these three songs are the hardest I know.
been playing about 1.3 years

I can play:
Hysteria-Muse
Get up and jump-RHCP
Stockholm Syndrome-Muse (at full speed )
3/4 of anesthesia (pulling teeth) - Cliff Burton
Coffee Shop-RHCP
Sweet Child O' mine-Guns N' Roses
most of Moonlight Sonata-Stu Hamm (only got 20 frets)

and a couple of others
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Nov 1, 2007,
ive been playing for about a year and a half

just learnt the first minute or so of moonlight sonata (tapping) stu hamm

metallica bass guitar doodle.

get up and jump. chillis

dancing in the moonlight thin lizzy (not the most technical but fun to play)

hysteria muse (just the intro)

intro to mr pink level 42 (mark king) (not good at it at all)
Page 1 of 3