When people say that the easiest way to learn a scale is to memorize its "shape", what exactly do they mean?
well as u probaly know scales can be moved every where u play the same thnig every where the pattern of which u move is the shape
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
They mean there are certain ways to learn scales across the fretboard, and are easy on the fingers.

But you're much better learning the note of the fretboard, and learning the notes of the scale rather than being limited to shapes.
Quote by J.A.M
They mean there are certain ways to learn scales across the fretboard, and are easy on the fingers.

But you're much better learning the note of the fretboard, and learning the notes of the scale rather than being limited to shapes.

+1
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by Hammy
+1

+2
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
and if you already know those notes, learn to recognize the sound, not the shape, it's your head that's supposed to make music, not your hands, they're merely tools ..

although learning patterns does do wonders for your technique..

and whatever you do, make sure you learn a scale from every position, with every tonic,
with all amounts of notes per string (including all notes, playing a scale on but one string can be an excellent exercise, for knowing the instrument, for your technique, and even for your musical ear )
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by J.A.M

I'd say you're much better learning the fretboard and what notes are in a scale and learning the different shapes. People don't seem to grasp that they're not exclusive ideas.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
+1

+2
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
I've been trying to break out of the shape mentality, and think intervals and of the fretboard as a whole, though I guess when it comes down to it I'm connecting various little shapes.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
learning the shapes gets you stuck in that box which limits you a lot

(im guilty of this)
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^ i disagree, but i do definately think learning the notes instead of shapes is better. i started off just by learning the shapes and i didn't really ever get stuck in a box pattern (except for in the very very beginning when all i knew was the box pattern)
Quote by z4twenny
^ i disagree, but i do definately think learning the notes instead of shapes is better. i started off just by learning the shapes and i didn't really ever get stuck in a box pattern (except for in the very very beginning when all i knew was the box pattern)

Yar. Box patterns helped my learning of intervals an extreme amount, because it gave me a visual reference until I finally had it all memorized.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
There is nothing wrong with learning the shapes. They dont limit you in any way.

The suggestions to learn the "sound" and to know the notes and intervals within the shapes are right on, however the idea that learning the shapes are in anyway limiting is just plain wrong.

The limitations dont come from the shapes but rather from individual approaches that arent balanced.

Eventually you want to know the shapes AND know what they sound like, AND know what notes are within them, AND know the intervals within them.

Intervals, scales, and chords are ALL shapes. Knowing them can only benefit you.
Quote by Spamwise
I'd say you're much better learning the fretboard and what notes are in a scale and learning the different shapes. People don't seem to grasp that they're not exclusive ideas.
i completly agree here it wasteful to learn shapes to me just learn the notes
Quote by natedapunk
i completly agree here it wasteful to learn shapes to me just learn the notes

I don't think you understood his post, he's saying it's not wasteful to learn shapes and he's right. Learning the notes and learning shapes are not mutually exclusive ideas.
Quote by Stash Jam
I don't think you understood his post, he's saying it's not wasteful to learn shapes and he's right. Learning the notes and learning shapes are not mutually exclusive ideas.

indeed..lol

Also, a much easier alternative to memorizing note for note every scale is memorizing the key signatures. When you know what sharps/flats a scale has, you automatically know what notes the scale has. For example, I know without thinking that the D major scale is D E F# G A B C# D, because I know it has two sharps.
not sure if someone has said this...

but i usually think of "shapes" as the boxes. the hand movement that actually occurs when you play that scale type..

hope that means something
I learn the boxes or shape and try to figure out at least where is the root, third, fifth and seventh.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS