Well, I'm considering on buying an Epiphone SG. Why Epiphone? Because I don't have the money to buy a Gibson. But I've heard so many complaints and jokes about Epiphone, and their SG's. Why? Maybe It's because I've only been playing for about 10 months, but still. I played one at my local store and thought it was great. I've heard rumors about tuning problems but I'm not that much of a lazy ass to complain about that.

Now, I don't play in a band, or to show off in front of people. I play just to play, is an Epiphone SG really that bad? And if you'd be so kind, and are a die hard anti-Epiphone/SG then recommend another guitar that isnt Fender or Ibanez, just because my local guitar store doesnt have them. Or a LP, because I just plain don't like them.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and im very pleased with it. I havnt played the Epiphone Sg but if I was to get one id look and get a standard. I think it would probably have Grover tuners on it, my LP does and I dont have any tuning problems. In my opinion my Epi LP is of better quality than the Mexican Fenders.
it depend if its a lower end epiphone or a higher end personally i have a 600$ epiphone les paul and i love it but the 160$ les paul really sucks
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
If u play metal, nothing is better for metal shape-wise as an ESP Viper. I dont think that an Epi G-400 Faded or Deluxe isnt too bad, and all u need to fix the tuning issues is a new set of tuners, a relatively inexpensive fix.
See, one of my questions. What do you define as "suck". I have a screwed up sense of hearing, so I can almost never tell the difference. D:
Quote by 2Kind
See, one of my questions. What do you define as "suck". I have a screwed up sense of hearing, so I can almost never tell the difference. D:

Even if you cant hear it, you could definatley feel the difference.

Its kindve like this cheaper one
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

Versus this better one
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
Here is the deal with Epiphone guitars. I have bought and played many of them, mostly les pauls and sg's. Well they sound and play great forever, but they fall apart after 7 months. I purchased a les paul ultra a year ago and the wiring is all ****ed to ****. In other words, the pickups are cutting in an out. Reccomending a decent guitar to you is hard as well because if your store doesn't carry Fender or Ibanez then it wont cary anything decent that is cheap.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
If you know how to properly set up a guitar, then you'll be fine. Because you will need to set it up a lot. I have an SG Special and i have to set it up about every month because all of the adjustments keep coming undone. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but if you do it the guitar doesn't sound all too bad.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer (white)
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender SuperSonic 112
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
EHX No.1 Echo
Ibanez Weeping Demon
as long as you get a higher end Epi there fine, and unless they have Gibson pickups in them, some do, do a pickup change
my friend has a epi les paul and plays like a beast i wouldnt worry
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
If you get one get the G-400. Mine has no issues, tuning is perfect never goes out. Sounds great. Great feel and a decent price.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
If you can, stretch your budget for the SG with the tremolo

EDIT oh, it appears they don't do that any more. Oops
Quote by Spalmer2
If you like it, buy it. Do what makes you happy.

seriously.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I recommend trying the Epi Tony Iommi signature SG, it's quite similar, except u gt grover tuners and gibson humbuckers.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
My first guitar was a G400, and it was alright. Nothing special, pretty poor electronics and pickups, but the neck was comfortable enough.

I'd suggest getting a Samick TR1 or TR2 instead.

Better guitar pretty much across the board; even has a better weight distribution and balance so the headstock doesn't tip.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.