Okay, well, since this is a fairly newby question I decided to stick it here. I've been playing for about a year, and I ussually try to avoid songs that have power chords like these:

------
------
-10--
--x---
--8---
-------

Well, now I'm kind of sick of avoiding them. This seems like a simple chord, not really much different than your average power chord. But the problem is, whenever I do it, it sounds like CRAP. I mean, really, it sounds terrible. Almost as though the higher string just completely drowns out the lower one. In this example, it's as though your hearing the 4th string, 10th fret, only with a bassy sound to it, and throw in a muted string. It sounds nothing like a chord and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it possible that my guitar's pickups are not blending the notes as it should so I'm hearing terrible sound? My guitar is a Fender Squier Super Strat, an uncommon guitar made in the 80's. It has 2 single coil pickups and a humbluckler pickup near the bridge. I normally use the Humbuckler for distortion and playing chords like this. Or is there an actual way your supposed to play this that I'm just missing?
That's cause its not really much of a chord, is the same note an octave higher. As long as you are muting the middle string, it should sound like you are playing it.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
its humbucker, not humbuckler..... anyway, the way to do it, is to use your middle finger (m finger from PIMA) to mute it, so lay it on the strings but not push down
the easiest way to do it is to mute the D string with your index finger, since its your index finger that is playing the 8 on the A string, then you use your ring or pinky finger (depending on how u play power chords) and just play it like a power chord.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
That's normally what I've been doing. I've even used by thumb and index finger on my right had to pluck the 5th and 3rd string simultaneously, still, same terrible sound that sounds like something from Norma Jean. It's almost as though it doesn't sound in tune, yet it is O_o? Is it really possible that it's the guitar's fault?

Edit: I hit the 5th and 3rd string simultaneously to avoid any sort of interaction with the 4th string... still I get that terrible sound.
Are both strings tuned? Are they properly intonated? If they are, I guess you're looking for a change of pickups. I'm only guessing, though, as I don't recognize your problem at all.
I'm a communist. Really.
Yup, the strings are all properly tuned, everything is as it should be. The tuner seems to say it's tuned, and I have listened to it by ear, and it sounds tuned to me as well, but I figured out it's either the pickups or the strings themselves.

I managed to keep my index finger on the 8th fret A string, and stretch my pinky all the way to the 15th fret D string, and strummed. Normally it should sound like the chord in the original post, only it sounded much different, more like a power chord, and the 15th fret note on the D string didn't stand out as much as the 10 fret note on the G string.
What about intonation? Have you checked that? It's possible that it needs adjusting. Tune all strings to proper pitch open, EADGBE. Now compare each open string to 12th fret of the same string. It should be the EXACT same note, just an octave higher. Do this for all 6 strings. Sometimes when I capo at 7th fret, I'll have to retune a bit in order for chords to sound correct.
If you do need to reintonate, the bridge saddles on your Fender should be fully adjustable. Just tweak them a little bit forward or back(closer or farther away from the nut to either lengthen or shorten each string) until open vs. 12th fret are dead on to each other.
Also, here's another option for tuning. Start by tuning the high E to the electronic tuner. Get it dead on, neither flat nor sharp. Now put the tuner down, and tune the rest of the guitar to that note. Begin by fretting 2nd string at 5th fret and play that with the open high E. Should be same note, no wavering sounds at all. Then the 3rd string at 9th fret to open high E. Then 4th string at 14th fret to open hi E. Next is 5th string harmonic at 7th fret to open hi E, and lastly is the low E harmonic at 5th fret to open hi E. You are tuning the entire guitar to itself in this manner, eliminating small inconsistencies in tuning other ways, even with an electronic tuner. They are not all perfect, and even a slight bit of needle drift is enough to cause a guitar to sound out of tune when fretted.
See if these few things help the sound.
a lot of songs that have 'chords' similar to that have two guitars playing. find a friend that you play well with and have him play some rythym while you play that and i guarantee you that it will sound completely different.
they call og or nothing at all!!