so Theorically, in music Theory 1 Ive been taught that there is no such thing as 8/8 time

but if you think about isnt coldplay's clocks in 8/8 time

Right?
No. There is no 8/8 hybrid meter. There are many songs with the 3+3+2 syncopation, but that's just what it is, syncopation.

It seems like there should be an 8/8 but for some reason it's not accepted. If you want to write an 8/8 time signature just put:

3+3+2
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
All 4/4 music could be said to be 8/8 as well, or 4/8. It's all the same. Does it matter?
I'm a communist. Really.
3/8 + 3/8 + 2/8

Quote by Muphin
It seems like there should be an 8/8 but for some reason it's not accepted. If you want to write an 8/8 time signature just put:

3+3+2

Yeah, that.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
yeah it matters because of the pulse and generally it would be a faster tempo then 4/4

and that kinda an odd way to write time but hell they'll get it
Quote by NightEmbers
yeah it matters because of the pulse and generally it would be a faster tempo then 4/4

and that kinda an odd way to write time but hell they'll get it

It's common practise in the music community.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
8/8 doesn't necessarily go faster than 4/4. 8/8 in 60 is slower than 4/4 in 160. You might argue that it's not nice to write 4/4 with a tempo of 440 so you should use 8/8 instead, but who the hell writes music at that kind of tempos anyways?
I'm a communist. Really.
same thing as 4/4 lol

cant see why "not exist"

edit: and a change of time signature in the middle of a song does NOT changes its speed
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Last edited by the_extremist00 at Oct 31, 2007,
well composers can decide to write in 8/8 if their passages are incredibly complex and would be easier to read if it was in a time signature that could allow all eth note values to be written as double the intended meaning. So it'll look different on teh page, but what's being played is still the same thing.

Plenty of times, I've seen composers switch time signatures just for hte sake of saving musicians from black note fever. Like, 2/2 then changing to 6/8 for more complex rhythms.

In the end anything is possible.
Quote by kaplac
well composers can decide to write in 8/8 if their passages are incredibly complex and would be easier to read if it was in a time signature that could allow all eth note values to be written as double the intended meaning. So it'll look different on teh page, but what's being played is still the same thing.

Plenty of times, I've seen composers switch time signatures just for hte sake of saving musicians from black note fever. Like, 2/2 then changing to 6/8 for more complex rhythms.

In the end anything is possible.

Switching from 2/2 to 6/8 is a completely different matter. Cut time is simple meter and is longer than the compound 6/8. This change would actually be necessary, where-as using 8/8 over 4/4 is not necessary.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i don't agree with that. i've seen tabs where the meter changes from 4/4 to 5/8 or 6/8 and they write 4/4 as 8/8 so the player can count eighth notes all the way through.
8/8

8 beats a measure
eighth note is one beat

uhh. It would be handier in slower tempos, easier to read instead of a whole bunch of 16th/maybe 32nd notes. So basically 4/4 for slower pieces, I would think.
Quote by 6079 Smith W
One time I had this chick setting on my lap, sucking on my neck, unbuttoning my pants when one of my friends walked in and ruined the whole thing. To be fair though, she was his girlfriend.

Shoopin' that whoop since before you were born, son.
This thread is way too intelligent for the pit.

and i agree with Raziel2p
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.