I have a Fender Super Reverb which is 40 Watts all tube, I was just wondering, how big of a venue could you play with it before you would have to mic it?

Just curious bored at question of the day.
thats freaking awesome... i want ur amp!!!

is it a blackface? or a silverface?

ok so for ur question, i think it can definitely do a pretty big gig. 1000 people in a gym, always.
but then it always come down to this:
if your drummer can't handle the volume, he mics his drums and vocals gets to use his PA too. thus, it wouldn't be a problem since u can get a spot on the PA whenever the drummer can't do it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
thats freaking awesome... i want ur amp!!!

is it a blackface? or a silverface?

ok so for ur question, i think it can definitely do a pretty big gig. 1000 people in a gym, always.
but then it always come down to this:
if your drummer can't handle the volume, he mics his drums and vocals gets to use his PA too. thus, it wouldn't be a problem since u can get a spot on the PA whenever the drummer can't do it.

Thanks Buddy!

It is indeed a blackface, I was pretty lucky to get this, actually believe it or not its a hand me down. My Dad picked it up 25-30 years back for like 100 bucks and I fully restored it.

But, the reason I ask, is because its plenty loud, but it seems after about 5 or 6 it breaks up and kinda stay at the volume or doesnt cut through the sound as well as i would of thought, or maybe im just getting deaf
to threadstarter, or anyone else who owns/has played the amp extensively. does the super reverb have enough headroom to be played clean without breaking up, and still stand out over a band. i'm thinking of buying one, and i would set the volume for slight breakup and roll back my guitar volume for clean, but since i play a lot of reggae i need to make sure the amp can handle this, or i'll have to get a twin reverb.
Quote by freedumb
to threadstarter, or anyone else who owns/has played the amp extensively. does the super reverb have enough headroom to be played clean without breaking up, and still stand out over a band. i'm thinking of buying one, and i would set the volume for slight breakup and roll back my guitar volume for clean, but since i play a lot of reggae i need to make sure the amp can handle this, or i'll have to get a twin reverb.

I can play plenty loud with it clean, ive found mine breaks up around 6 or 7 and thats pretty loud. I believe it is plenty headroom to play clean without it breaking up. In my band I dont ever really play with my amp above a 4 - 5, with the help of assorted pedals for dirt and flavor.
when u crank it to 10, and turn down ur volume knob a little, it's freaking sparkle clean sound at enormous volume. if that's not enough clean headroom, go hunt for some 12AT7s or some 12AU7s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
alright awesome... i'll be buying a used reissue in the near future. i forgot i could swap out the preamp tubes for less gain, and i'd rather get one of these and swap the tubes than buy a twin.
Quote by ECistheBest
when u crank it to 10, and turn down ur volume knob a little, it's freaking sparkle clean sound at enormous volume. if that's not enough clean headroom, go hunt for some 12AT7s or some 12AU7s.

Ah I was wondering about that, I cant remember what tubes I have in my amp off the top of my head I think 12AT7s, but its possible to get more clean head room with different tubs?
^12AX7 is the standard preamp tubes for many tube amps. but some blackfaces (like yours) have 12AT7s.

i've never seen one coming stock with 12AU7s, but they give more headroom. also, running the amp hotter biased (i think) gives you better headroom. but it burns ur tubes faster.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^12AX7 is the standard preamp tubes for many tube amps. but some blackfaces (like yours) have 12AT7s.

i've never seen one coming stock with 12AU7s, but they give more headroom. also, running the amp hotter biased (i think) gives you better headroom. but it burns ur tubes faster.

Ahhh ok, any ideas as to why when I set my amp to say like 6 or 7 it breaks up, but just doesnt seem to get louder (or cut through as well), could it be just as im increasing the volume its just breaking up more?
because it's breaking up. lol. its easier to draw waves for you, but thats too much of a hassle. when it reaches a point of breaking up, it won't increase in volume that much. i bet it's ear crushing volume already anyways.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
because it's breaking up. lol. its easier to draw waves for you, but thats too much of a hassle. when it reaches a point of breaking up, it won't increase in volume that much. i bet it's ear crushing volume already anyways.

Yeah definitely, thats what I figured, but I just wanted someone to tell me.

Thanks for the insight man, I appreciate it.
40 watts tube is plenty , i have 40 watts and on lik 1.5 i can play over drums and sttuff ( only on dirty thouhg my clean is amazingly quiet). also having a hotter bias im pretty shure will make you have less headroom because you are pushing the tubes harder at lower volumes
hotter bias is giving more voltage onto the valves' plates. thus, it increases clean headroom.

when you load more signal, u get less headroom. but running the bias hot, i think it increases the clean headroom...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
To be honest, micing amps isn't ALWAYS about volume - you'll just have a better mix and overall sound if you do.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Yes, after a certain point, amps no longer get louder, they just start to saturate and break up more, a very sweet sound.

If you want some headroom, find a set of telefunkens.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Biasing hot decreases clean headroom.

Tube tangent:
Telefunkens do have lots of clean headroom...but mine are a bit too hi-fi for my liking. I've got an RCA and a mullard on the way to test, hopefully they'll be warmer.
^does Biasing hot = more voltage fed into the tubes??? i dont get this part...

from what i understand, feeding more voltage into tubes or transistors increase the clean headroom, ie. in effect pedals like fuzzes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Biasing adjusts current not voltage.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You should be able to play a massive venue with that. I only turn my Windsor up to 3 for band practices, and I have two of the power tubes pulled >.<
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs