Such as Led Zep- lemon song and robert johnsons travelling riverside blues

Elmore James - rollin and tumblin and Robert Johnson Milkcow's Calf blues

Milkcow blues and robert johnsons milkcow's calf blues

Thats it off the top of my head. When is it ok to copy a line or two? Do you need permission? Lets say I wanted to take, for instance "Way way down inside, honey you need it" (from led zeppelin's Whole lotta love) and use it in my own song without mentioning that it came from Whole Lotta Love. Is that ok?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
yeah i totally wouldn't do it. first and foremost there are millions of words, there is most definately a different way to say what you want to without repeating what everyone else has already said a million times (really, have many bands have multiples songs that use the same word or phrases, its make the idea cliche) and if you put a little forethought into it maybe you can say it better than everyone else.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
led zeppelin got sued for that man

Indeed.

I lack a definitive answer now, but I'm researching copyright laws for a paper in the next few weeks, so I might know by then. Unfortunately, you probably don't want to wait several weeks
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Indeed.

I lack a definitive answer now, but I'm researching copyright laws for a paper in the next few weeks, so I might know by then. Unfortunately, you probably don't want to wait several weeks

Ha ha, im in no hurry. Any info you could give me would be great, I will do some research of my own too. I was just wondering, because i hear so many blues artists "borrowing" each others lines and such almost like tribute or something. I just wasnt sure how much of a song you could "borrow" until you get into trouble for it. If anyone knows, please pass the info on to me. If i find out, i too will post it here. Thanks!

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by 812many
Ha ha, im in no hurry. Any info you could give me would be great, I will do some research of my own too. I was just wondering, because i hear so many blues artists "borrowing" each others lines and such almost like tribute or something. I just wasnt sure how much of a song you could "borrow" until you get into trouble for it. If anyone knows, please pass the info on to me. If i find out, i too will post it here. Thanks!

hm, but...

Blues artist's just copy a couple of blues licks of each other. I'm not a lawyer, but I know people only notice a song is similiar to another song if the lyrics are similar or if both the melody and the rhythym are the same.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I was in a band that once I had written an exorcist themed song with doing the tubular bells theme on guitar for an intro and basing some of the riffs on th same melodic idea...And tried to go for a copyright....I was hoping for a slight chance of getting picked for the Excorcist prequel sound track a few years ago.
Both DENIED!
LOL
But that is a little different...

But rappers do it all the time...Many times they have to buy the rights to use any part of the song they rape....
Quote by deathmask666
But rappers do it all the time...Many times they have to buy the rights to use any part of the song they rape....
Tell me that pun was intended, please oh please.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Right I'll clear this up....

There are 2 sides to copyright... music and lyrics (including vocal melody)
You cannot copyright a chord progression or guitar lick UNLESS it is a hook to the song...
For example I couldn't put the intro to "sweet child of mine" over my chords and say I wrote it.
You cannot use the same lyrics or vocal melody as someone else, as this is more obvious that you have used it.
As for sampling (rap, hip hop etc) you have to pay a sampling fee to the original copyright owner, and most of the time they claim a percentage of profit from that track too.

For a famous example, Coolio got sued by Stevie Wonder for not getting clearence for "Gangsters Paradise"
Quote by Lcollins1
You cannot use the same lyrics or vocal melody as someone else, as this is more obvious that you have used it.
But vocal melodies are copied completely and blatantly all the time. Most people hardly ever notice. Honestly, listen to the radio and its pop songs for a few minutes and I gurantee you'll find a song with a similar melody to another song, most probably a really old song.

Although, you'd seldom find a song that has copied both (unless it was a cover)...
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Nov 2, 2007,
About coppying chord progs - How does that work, im sure that theres a tonne of songs that have an C-F-G songs?

EDIT: Uhh incase that sounded like an attack on you its not..Just wondering
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by demonofthenight
But vocal melodies are copied completely and blatantly all the time. Most people hardly ever notice. Honestly, listen to the radio and its pop songs for a few minutes and I gurantee you'll find a song with a similar melody to another song, most probably a really old song.

Although, you'd seldom find a song that has copied both (unless it was a cover)...

Sorry, I meant to say lyrics AND melody, if both are the same, it's lawasuit time

Quote by Zen5887
About coppying chord progs - How does that work, im sure that theres a tonne of songs that have an C-F-G songs?

EDIT: Uhh incase that sounded like an attack on you its not..Just wondering

Thats exactly the point i was making, you cannot copyright a chord progression (that and C-F-G Is a I-IV-V so one of the most (if not THE most) common chord progressions
Last edited by Lcollins1 at Nov 4, 2007,
I think it mostly depends on the discretion of the copyright holder. If they find out and are offended or are just looking for some cash, you could be in trouble, but if they're flattered, you'll be fine.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?