looking at getting a new guitar for chistmas and just see what you guys think the pros and cons are of each guitar are. i play mailny chilipeppers and that sort of stuff
thanx
for john frusciante, obviously a strat. SGs sound too fat with the humbuckers.

i want a guitar for christmas... i hope i can get my MIJ strat this winter...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You could go with an HSS American Strat. Sorta the best of both worlds...although the SG will always be the best!
Quote by dazman
You could go with an HSS American Strat. Sorta the best of both worlds...although the SG will always be the best!

what the ****? do u know the word "biased"???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
for john frusciante, obviously a strat. SGs sound too fat with the humbuckers.

i want a guitar for christmas... i hope i can get my MIJ strat this winter...

not necessarily, he used a custom sg on the added tracks on the greatest hits album, such as fortune faded.
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
dude sg is f ucking better
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Quote by shift3448
dude sg is f ucking better

ehem.
Quote by zapatista89
not necessarily, he used a custom sg on the added tracks on the greatest hits album, such as fortune faded.

well, how often does he pull out his SG now? compared to his vintage Strats from the 60s?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
nice amp. Id get the Strat if u play Chilis. Theres no way to get a Chilis sound with an SG. Unless ur playing only One Hot Minute stuff. then u can. But everything else, you need a Strat.
You must play something besides RHCP? RIGHT?

I like strats, but the SG standard is a much much better guitar.

I've played many of the newer american strats, and personally, they're just lame, they've got no soul, they feel and sound only slightly better than MIM (rolled fretboard my ass).

Either get an SG, or find an older (70s 80s) strat.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
They're both great guitars. They also very different IMO. Don't listen to the bit about one being far superior to the other, that's just ridiculous. They just tend to excellent in different areas.
Carvin Bolt-T > American Strat

....and like half the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
They're both great guitars. They also very different IMO. Don't listen to the bit about one being far superior to the other, that's just ridiculous. They just tend to excellent in different areas.

I'm not saying SGs are a lot better than strats, but comparing these two different models, the SG is definitely superior.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
I'm not saying SGs are a lot better than strats, but comparing these two different models, the SG is definitely superior.

Is it really? I dunno, an SG Standard is a great instrument but those MIA Strats are very nice too. Apples to oranges of course but I don't think there's much of a difference between the two in terms of build quality. You're paying more for sure but I don't think I would say the SG Standard is better or worse than a MIA Strat.
Keep in mind that SG Standards are a good 300-400 dollars more expensive than American standards, so he might not be referring to the american standards. There are those ohsonice deluxes and the pretty little vintage series strats around the price of the SG standard, so..
depends what music you play. SG's are fine for metal and heavy rock, but then again a good strat will handle this as well. if you are into blues and softer rock then the strat wins hands down.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by hamish5178

i have to seriously disagree with this, i have played a lot of gibsons at stores, and SG's just feel cheap compared to an american strat IMO

but go to the store, play both, see which one gives you a closer tone and whiche one you liek better, then buy it
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by dr_john
depends what music you play. SG's are fine for metal and heavy rock, but then again a good strat will handle this as well. if you are into blues and softer rock then the strat wins hands down.

yea, and the highway one series can actually handle heavier rock too, they have double wound the pups and put in higher power magnets, i watched a video with one and it got pretty deathly distortion
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by dr_john

you can get some absolutely awesome blues tones on an SG.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
These are both excellent guitars (generally)
They're both light-weight, and feel good in the hands and to the fingers.

Problems with the strat will be the thin sound from the single-coils and of course the buzz if you don't get the noiseless pups. The sg will sound fatter but it only has 2 pups (you can get an sg-3 though)

Gibson's guitars don't seem to be as quality controlled as Fenders from my experience. If you're going to buy a Gibson make sure you've played it first (which really should go for the Fender too)
I find it easier to personalize a fender. For instance you can get 3 different kinds of necks (V, C, and U). You can get a maple or rosewood fretboard. You can put a humbucker in the bridge and fatten the sound. American strats also stay in tune very well.

The SG also has a problem when it gets old. The neck of the SG isn't very sturdy at the base (where it meets the body) and later they have a tendency to have huge cracks.

The SGs are IMO prettier guitars. As stated earlier they have a fuller sound.

Again both are wonderful guitars, but if I were you I'd just go play both on the same amp and see which one you like better.
Some strats are very heavy!

Also, SGs don't just "get old and break", they are more fragile than strats, but they'll only break IF YOU BREAK THEM, not if you treat them with respect.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

The MIA strats are not worth the price. It's wallet rape, compared to the SG. The SG is a little overpriced as well, but a really nice guitar and a lot of fun. Strats wont stay in tune, they only have one sound and they are overused. The SG is waaaay better.

Yeah I said it!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
The MIA strats are not worth the price. It's wallet rape, compared to the SG. The SG is a little overpriced as well, but a really nice guitar and a lot of fun. Strats wont stay in tune, they only have one sound and they are overused. The SG is waaaay better.

Yeah I said it!

my strat stays in tune, even with a liberal amount of whammy bar use. also, i can get a whole range of tones by a combination of pickup selection, amp settings, and a little distortion box. i have to admit that the tone conrols on the strat do very little.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
And so begins another thread of the classic Fender vs Gibson war.

Half of UG is going to recommend the Strat, the other half the SG.

I suggest you try both out and see what YOU like best, as this is like trying to compare a JTM45 to a Dual Rectifier.

These are two totally different animals.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
because of the music you play I'd say a strat even though I personally like the SG better.
I think we need a broader range of bands/styles that the TS plays. As hamish said, you MUST play more than just RHCP
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
(To TS)

I think you should decide which of the two you like the feel and sound of best. Just cos the Froosh has a "Fender-y" sound, doesn't mean you can't interpret his guitar playing in your own way with a Gibson. Although the SG is my favourite kind of guitar, I think the two are both excellent guitars that you will cherish for a lifetime.
Perhaps the '61 Reissue SG would be better than the standard SG for RHCP.
Dean Razorback two-tone
Ibanez RG1570 MMR
Gibson SG '61 reissue
Godin SD
Ibanez SR506
Ibanez SR300DX
Gibson Dove
Peavey Valveking 100 Half-stack
Crate GT212
Marshall MG 50