Anyone have a business degree or is in the process of getting one? I am in college first year, and am trying to get a business degree i know there is a lot you can do with a business degree, but does anyone out there care to share their experiences post college or in college?
i do at glasgow colleg in scotland, but not got a job out of it
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Quote by PLUGINCHILD
i do at glasgow colleg in scotland, but not got a job out of it

why? or are you in the process of getting one? (frictional unemployment ) i learned something in economics
Well, I'm studying accounting and finance at the moment, working for the whole business thing. It's generally easy to get a job in a company as long as you have a business degree, but it doesn't mean you'll be making a lot of money unless you know how to do something not many can.
i'm getting one in finance. plenty you can do with business degrees, and they're not very hard (as opposed to engineering or pre med, etc). I'm interviewing with a financial consulting firm in a little bit, but I dont plan on going into a long term career in finance so I'm not much help
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by Archaon
Well, I'm studying accounting and finance at the moment, working for the whole business thing. It's generally easy to get a job in a company as long as you have a business degree, but it doesn't mean you'll be making a lot of money unless you know how to do something not many can.

I was thinking of like working in a bank for awhile getting enough money saved up then opening a guitar store
i did a business degree, total waste of time because a) the topics they teach dealt with more Macro economics, so unless you are bill gates they are not relevant b) its so general most people who are not entrepreuneurs end up in the call centres (unless you get a 1st class at a high end uni) and c) i shouldve dont music because it was soooo boring.
Quote by masterk1818
I was thinking of like working in a bank for awhile getting enough money saved up then opening a guitar store

you would be better working in a bank then you can buy the guitars at the weekend. kids think guitar stores rock but its still a small business very stressful and you could sell socks it wouldnt matter its profits that matter to you.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
i did a business degree, total waste of time because a) the topics they teach dealt with more Macro economics, so unless you are bill gates they are not relevant b) its so general most people who are not entrepreuneurs end up in the call centres (unless you get a 1st class at a high end uni) and c) i shouldve dont music because it was soooo boring.

Yeah, that's why it's not a very idea to simply study general business or business admin.
Best to stick with a specific entity of business.
i'm kind of interested in investment banking/some sort of thing like that, preferably in an international vein. i'm not quite sure though how hard it is to land a job like that.
I'm in a Computing and Business Co-op program at Brock University here in Canada.

It's kinda like doing a computer science/business double major, and with the co-op as well (it's a PAID co-op!) the jobs are pretty much endless.

University is the greatest thing I've ever done with my life and it's so much fun. People say I must be doing it because I think it will give me a comfortable life in the future but I honestly find it fun.

I'm a nerd, I know.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by jimmyjimjim
i'm kind of interested in investment banking/some sort of thing like that, preferably in an international vein. i'm not quite sure though how hard it is to land a job like that.

its not the getting of the job its the keeping. people i know in that field are so stressed and work 50 hours a week. one of the highest pressure jobs.
I'd like to take some sort of business classes for music. This would include anything that involves touring, playing gigs, selling such music, and/or owning a music business/store.

Any ideas?
wow.
Quote by thatoneday
I'd like to take some sort of business classes for music. This would include anything that involves touring, playing gigs, selling such music, and/or owning a music business/store.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of a guitar shop/stage for local bands to play/restaurant
I have a bunch of friends who want to go into business, but to get into good programs in Canada you need Advanced Functions and Calculus, the two hardest math courses available in high school so they're all going for BA's and are going to try and switch once they're in university.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by sg4eva
I'm in a Computing and Business Co-op program at Brock University here in Canada.

It's kinda like doing a computer science/business double major, and with the co-op as well (it's a PAID co-op!) the jobs are pretty much endless.

University is the greatest thing I've ever done with my life and it's so much fun. People say I must be doing it because I think it will give me a comfortable life in the future but I honestly find it fun.

I'm a nerd, I know.

I'll probably be the same way... I really don't care too much about my future, just because I don't really want to be rich. I could eek by on managing a fast food restaurant or something if I really needed to. But I'm still going to college for the experience.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by thatoneday

Any ideas?

I know several colleges offer degree plans for media & music management. If you can't find a school that does that, you might want to look at majoring in communications or public relations with a minor in marketing or management. That would equip you adequately for several facets of the music industry.

In regards to the topic, i would recommend that you stay far away from general bus. degrees. Plain and simple they are useless. Instead, focus on a specific field, ie marketing, management, finance, etc...
I finished my undergrad with a BA in marketing, and now i'm working on my masters which i'll have done in dec 08. I really love this field and will probably move into a consultiing position or a market research firm upon graduation.
---Epiphone Les Paul Studio---
---Roland Cube 30---
www.myspace.com/themusicofchris

~I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it. -- C.S. Lewis~
I'm a third year business student at University of Ottawa. My option is in e-business, and as a result I have a pretty sweet paying job (as a student) with the Government of Canada. Like a previous poster said, if you can acquire certain skills that not too many people know how to do you can advance fairly well in your career. For example I am working in the eServices department and I am poring over Excel data to come up with regular reports. It's easy for me, but no one else here knows how to do it including my boss, so I am in constant demand.. Other skills you can acquire to help benefit your career in business are hard work (but most people already have that), being able to sell, knowledge of computer systems, etc. If you need any more advice just ask, I'm sure there are lots of people here who can help you out with anything.
accounting major, first year college student

very poor
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal