Note: I know nothing about valves.

I use a JCM900 4100, and it has 5881's , and I believe you can use those or another valve, EL something or other, not sure. Just wondering specifically if I can use those two, and if so, what exactly is the difference.
That's not fair...you don't know notin bout tubes and you have a JCM900.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
If you want to put el34's in it, take it to an amp tech. It takes more than just swapping them out.

Edit: being a valve n00b myself, I have no idea what the difference in tone would be. I am aware that the el34 will make it more marshally.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by i(ncubus)play
That's not fair...you don't know notin bout tubes and you have a JCM900.

Haha sorry, don't blame me, my dad collects guitars and so forth.

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Edit: being a valve n00b myself, I have no idea what the difference in tone would be. I am aware that the el34 will make it more marshally.That's not fair...you don't know notin bout tubes and you have a JCM900.

I'm waiting a while before I change valves, i'll probably wait until it needs to be serviced, and when i have some moolah too. All's I know is i think on this model it comes with 5881's, so in my uneducated opinion, i imagine the el34's would probably be slightly better clean with more gain capabilities. correct me if i'm wrong.
Or if theres a huge difference, what would they be?

thanks
5881 tubes are almost the same as 6L6 tubes. Alot different than EL34s. The 5881 was made as a longer life 6L6. The way it works is a 6L6 can be put in place of a EL34 but not the other way around. And yea EL34 is what gives marshall their sound. You would have to modify the amp to use EL34s.
6L6: Fenders
EL34: Marshall
EL84: Vox
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I prefer the 5881's to EL-84s, but that's just me.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
tubes are part of what makes a Marshall sound like a Marshall, but it's only part of the equation. You aren't going to make a Marshall sound like a Fender by putting in 6L6, or vice versa. Like Tackleberry mentioned, 5881 are in the 6L6 family.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids