If you've heard John Lennon sing Twist and Shout, I'd like to know if anyone of you guys know how I can get that sound. I keep thinking about singing closer to the mic, and maybe with more push from my diaphragm, but I my brother took my mic off to college and he won't be back till Christmas break. Am i thinking correctly with my theory of singing closer to the mic or using more push? or is it just a vocal trick that one must learn?
i think its a sound trick. If u listen to Main Offender by the Hives, i think ur trying to go for that. I think it might be a torn speaker thing. But dont mess with ur speakers. try to find a vocal effects pedal or something u can use on vocals.
It's like he's shouting, I think it's to do with delivery and just his style of singing. He has an amazing voice and it's hard to imitate. Also, the vocals are quite far forwards in the mix, so try that when you're mixing down. It depends on what you're recording with as to what you can do though. If you haven't already, it's probably worth getting a condensor mic.
Lennon is screaming his head off in that song. Another good example would be Happiness is a Warm Gun off the white album. I think it was a combination of him yelling and with possibly the mic overloading.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
i want my recordings to be analong. i'm not too into the digital sound. so i guess that limits what i can do. i mean i have the ability to get rasp in my vocals..but it doesn;'t sustain for very long. I do it properly by the way so my chords don't get destroyed..but if it's all abot the singer then i guess it's back to the workshop
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Lennon is screaming his head off in that song. Another good example would be Happiness is a Warm Gun off the white album. I think it was a combination of him yelling and with possibly the mic overloading.

True. It's also in the upper reaches of his range so he has to really fight the get there while laying into it with all he's go. This is why they played Twist and shout last on almost on all occasions it was performed, Lennon's voice was generally shot after they'd done it.