hey guys. my band has just recorded demos, we've only done two gigs before and we've decided were gonna take off and try to get as many pre-christmas gigs as we can, as it is usually a great time to be giging in tthe november/december period of time. anywho, we hace about 14 or 15 songs not including covers and all the equipment we need to put on a perfectly good live show. so just a few questions. 1. with 15 songs plus covers, how long a set should we be doing? 2. what covers (if we should play covers at all) would be good for the average pub, without breaking into the cliche ac/dc cover or whatever. 3. how the hell do i develop stage presence and 4. what clothes should i wear (and no, im not gay)

(this is my bands site)
www.myspace.com/emersontheband
I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I listened to some of your stuff. I love your music man...
When The band and I am in and I Play live.. we play around 15 songs and that takes about 1 hour-1 hour and 30 mins depending on a lot of stuff.. sometimes one of the instruments break or strings flush and we have to get a new guitar/bass or little drum for that matter on stage..

Have no idea how long your songs are..

Stage presence?! Just give it all you got, that is if I understand correctly Drag the crowd into the show.. what kind of music do you even play?! I mean.. Rock would be hard on getting everyone exciting, and jazz might be people to listen quite carefully I dunno about jazz :P hehe...

Clothes.. your own?! again depends on music and concept.. If ya have a concept show you could all wear a suit in different colors or something like that.. Be creative and dont be shy
Quote by Gtar-o-mania
When The band and I am in and I Play live.. we play around 15 songs and that takes about 1 hour-1 hour and 30 mins depending on a lot of stuff.. sometimes one of the instruments break or strings flush and we have to get a new guitar/bass or little drum for that matter on stage..

Have no idea how long your songs are..

Stage presence?! Just give it all you got, that is if I understand correctly Drag the crowd into the show.. what kind of music do you even play?! I mean.. Rock would be hard on getting everyone exciting, and jazz might be people to listen quite carefully I dunno about jazz :P hehe...

Clothes.. your own?! again depends on music and concept.. If ya have a concept show you could all wear a suit in different colors or something like that.. Be creative and dont be shy

we are all 15 and we play blues punk rock (think white stripes). theres three of us and the guitarist can rip a fair decent solo. our songs and usually quite short....2- 4 minutes usually. if you want to listen to us to get the idea go on our page (i put the link in my first post)
You have a female singer.. NOW thats awesome! really cool..

Solos are great for live performance.. gives a nice show, and get people interested.. Our songs aint longer then that either.. For this kind of music, I would say just rock out and shout and get the crowd excited if thats your goal.. If there is Energy on the stage, people feel it and get it
And remember always to mix your songs.. so they you dont start out massive and end really bad.. cause the opening and Closing is the thing people remember the best.. You should always start with a bang and close with one that way people will remember you..
In my experience most pub gigs only last 30-45 minutes per band, depending on how many acts are on that night. So you might want to pick the best songs for the occasion really. Covers are great for getting the crowd going but too many kind of comes off as amateurish. Put thought in to the order you're are going to play the songs in too, make sure it flows.

The best advice for any performer is just to relax and enjoy yourself. Act confident, even if you aren't.

And by the way, I checked out your myspace and I'm loving your sound. This is the kind of music I'd like to make. : )
Oh damn I just realised you said you are all only 15, is that serious? You are sounding amazing for a band so young.
It depends on the set length and the length of your songs. My band usually plays 7-9 song sets in a half hour-45 minute set list. play covers people will know, or covers that are extremely bitchin' and powerful. Stage presence is what you want it to be, the main idea is drawing the crowd into the music, so my advice firstly is to either talk to them a lot or not talk at all and just play your music. And just enjoy playing your music whatever your natural reaction is, whether its bobbing your head or running all over the place like a mad man. As far as clothes, if you have a definitive character trait, dress like it. (if you're mean dress to kill). If not, just wear clothes you like and wear anyday.
Quote by Lastlarf
Oh damn I just realised you said you are all only 15, is that serious? You are sounding amazing for a band so young.

yeah........ actually the guitarist is only 14. she played taste of chaos when she was 11. lol.
yeah the Flow is important as well.. when we play we have the 3 first songs linked together, and they flow.. it did take some experimentation to get down to those 3 songs and then it almost break down with the last song, and then there is "Crowd Break" as we call it, where you talk to the crowd and get them even more excited for the next song.. and then we have our highest energy track.. Then it again go down hill for like 5 songs and then suddenly bang up again.. people really like it that way, it brings diversity into the show and make it Dynamic in a strange way, they say so we have kept it that way ever since.. Our most "remember able" song is also one of our final.. And boy does that song make people come see our gigs again :P hehe
Quote by Gtar-o-mania
yeah the Flow is important as well.. when we play we have the 3 first songs linked together, and they flow.. it did take some experimentation to get down to those 3 songs and then it almost break down with the last song, and then there is "Crowd Break" as we call it, where you talk to the crowd and get them even more excited for the next song.. and then we have our highest energy track.. Then it again go down hill for like 5 songs and then suddenly bang up again.. people really like it that way, it brings diversity into the show and make it Dynamic in a strange way, they say so we have kept it that way ever since.. Our most "remember able" song is also one of our final.. And boy does that song make people come see our gigs again :P hehe

great advice! i might steal that 3 song intro idea from you
Quote by spiderfizz
great advice! i might steal that 3 song intro idea from you

Fine with me :P we stole it from Tim Christensen :P haha.. I bet a lot of other bands have done it as well its a nice starter..
in the past weve been using a remdition of voodoo child by hendrix as an opener (we kinda changed the rhythym, but we managed not to butcher the song)
for clothes just wear normal **** lol...matt pryor played on the late show and wore a dirtbag sweater lol
Quote by Connor6c
I sucked on my mom's nipples
Are you opening for other bands, or headlining? That will matter in how many songs to play.

Try and play covers that fit in with your sound, and play songs that the audience will know and can sing along to.

Wear normal clothes, whatever you'd go to a show in.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
practice your set list in front of a mirror to get a feel of what you'll be doing on stage, dont go onstage and playing froex still. play it and put on a real show, watch some KISS live or Alice Cooper etc..
Damn. You guys sound awesome, especially for your age.

But yeah, just try to be tight, but cool, if you know what I mean...you don't want to be completely uncaring, but you don't want to be completely uptight either. Just act natural, with a little bit of bravado and a lot jumping around.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I just listened to your band, very good. You'll kick ass live.

The only problem I have with it, is that the drums get alittle repetative. Just mix it up some. I sent a friend request
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Nov 5, 2007,
get some interesting props; come up with a gimmic; tell jokes; play short, funny tunes during breaks; be profesional but dont take your selves too seriously. Basically just be creative, im sure you can come up with loads of ways to get people talking about you. Cool music btw

Check out my band band if you've got time

www.myspace.com/fusionforever