After purchasing my Fireball with the knowledge it was only really good for two sounds I'm in the market for something a bit different. I need an amp head that is good for blues, light overdrive, classic rock, 80s sounds and decent cleans.
I ONLY need a head (and a head is preferred)
My cab is 120W with 16/8ohm inputs, so bare this in mind.
Upwards budget of £650 (although I'd prefer it to be less than £600)

I've been looking at a JCM800, either the single or dual channel ones on Ebay, but I'm not sure.
What can you guys recommend me?

Jorge
well this goes totally against what you said you want, but the fender hot rod deville is an amazing choice for that kind of sound. Its about that price too. I got one for 650USD a few years ago...
I have the sullotion!

Orange Rocker 30.

I play blues and classic rock (with some occainsional 80's rock thrown in there) and having own clsoe to all Marshall tube amps this amps blows them out of the water (some at least). Basically it sounds like a cranked Plexi or JCM800 on steroids.

Have a listen to the clips in my sig. That's how it sounds.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If you want clean blues the JCM-800 probably isnt your best choice.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Gabel
I have the sullotion!

Orange Rocker 30.

I play blues and classic rock (with some occainsional 80's rock thrown in there) and having own clsoe to all Marshall tube amps this amps blows them out of the water (some at least). Basically it sounds like a cranked Plexi or JCM800 on steroids.

Have a listen to the clips in my sig. That's how it sounds.

A bit out of my price range

I'd love one though, smexy tone

EDIT: Maybe not. Thomann is nearly £200 more expensive
What would the Rocker 30 sounds like through V30s though? Would it sound too dark?
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
A bit out of my price range

the rocker is 560 pounds, less if u buy from ebay
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Keep in mind the GH-50L is bit more high gain and the Classic 30 much more expensive in Europe.

Rocker 30s comes stock with V30s, so it's a good combo!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Classic 30 is around £400ish, is the Rocker really worth the extra £150? I desire good tone but I'm not going to be using this amp for any more time than a few hours a month. Same with the Laney as that is also around £400. What's my best bet?
Rocker 30, Classic 30... The Rocker 30 IS that much better than the Classic. But the Classic can be obtained as a head and is perfect for your needs and well under budget.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
You should be able to get an AC30 for that price since you're in England, it would absolutely nail all of those sounds for you.
EDIT: In fact it's well within your price range http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/shop/cart_view.asp?mode=added
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Last edited by Bossman123 at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
You can get Rocker 30 heads too

I just don't know if the price hump between the two amps are justified for my needs.

Yeah you can get R30 heads, but they're equally as expensive as the combo really.

The Orange is easily better than the Peavey. Especially as the Peavey is overpriced outside the US - check musiciansfriend to see how much the going rate is in the US. I'd never halt to take a R30 over a Classic. But, it's if you can justify it. Orange has British tone, Peavey has sort of Half-British-Half-American tone leaning towards British. Both will handle similar styles.... But as I said, I prefer the Rocker 30. The C30 has better cleans though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah you can get R30 heads, but they're equally as expensive as the combo really.

The Orange is easily better than the Peavey. Especially as the Peavey is overpriced outside the US - check musiciansfriend to see how much the going rate is in the US. I'd never halt to take a R30 over a Classic. But, it's if you can justify it. Orange has British tone, Peavey has sort of Half-British-Half-American tone leaning towards British. Both will handle similar styles.... But as I said, I prefer the Rocker 30. The C30 has better cleans though.

Call me insane, but that £150 could go to upgrading other things really, so I think I'm going to have to side with the Peavey or Laney. I'd love the Orange but I'm not totally convinced that I could justify the money I'd be spending on it.
Well I'll call you crazy.

The Rocker 30 is to be honest in a completely different ballpark than the Classic 30 (being a Rocker 30 owner). You have not tried either I guess. The Classic is good, but the Rocker 30 just beats in every way. It's WORTH that money (try it and you'll get it).

Don't believe me?
Listen to my clips in my profile!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Well I'll call you crazy.

The Rocker 30 is to be honest in a completely different ballpark than the Classic 30 (being a Rocker 30 owner). You have not tried either I guess. The Classic is good, but the Rocker 30 just beats in every way. It's WORTH that money (try it and you'll get it).

Don't believe me?
Listen to my clips in my profile!

Yeah, I love the sound. But nearly £600 for an amp I'll be using a few hours a week seems a little excessive to me when I can get something cheaper that still sounds good. Get where I'm coming from?
Yah I see.

Then I would get the Tiny Terror. It's £298 on GAK and it's a head. It sounds very similar to a Rocker 30, but with slightly less gain and lacking a clean channel. But it has the same kind of tone and overdrive. Basically it's a Rocker 30 that's a bit less agressive.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/tiny-terror/70787
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I completely forgot about that!

Enjoy my memory jogger award.

EDIT:
What about 2 Valve Juniors running in stereo through my cab? Would that even work?
I already have one for messing around with, so would purchasing another be a good plan? Would a single one be loud enough for gigs?

(I don't want to risk playing a gig without amp micing and not having an amp loud enough)
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde001 at Nov 2, 2007,
Don't get the Tiny Terror if you're looking for cleans at gigging volumes. That's a 50-50 shot at best with that amp. The Classic 30 is a very nice amp (despite what these Orange snobs tell you! ) and will do everything what you want to do.

I have higher end amps, and vintage amps, but the C30's been serving as my workhorse since I got it. I love Gabe and all, but he's making it sound like your comparing an MG to a Cornford. That's just not the case. I'd love an Orange, too, but that doesn't make the C30 a bad amp by any stretch.

All that said... I'm a proponent of getting the best amp you can, when you can. The Rocker 30 head is best, within your budget, and you're unlikely to ever need another amp again should you choose to go that route. But I'd definitely do the C30 over the TT. In fact, I did! For the same reasons - I wanted good cleans at gig levels.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

I have higher end amps, and vintage amps, but the C30's been serving as my workhorse since I got it. I love Gabe and all, but he's making it sound like your comparing an MG to a Cornford. That's just not the case. I'd love an Orange, too, but that doesn't make the C30 a bad amp by any stretch.

Agreed, I mean I respect you guys, but the Peavey isn't a bad amp at all, and for the price I'd say it's really good. You'd save a lot of money buying that amp, so you can save the rest towards something else. If you're willing to spend the whole ammount of money, then it's up to you then...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by slatsmania
Don't get the Tiny Terror if you're looking for cleans at gigging volumes. That's a 50-50 shot at best with that amp. The Classic 30 is a very nice amp (despite what these Orange snobs tell you! ) and will do everything what you want to do.

All that said... I'm a proponent of getting the best amp you can, when you can. The Rocker 30 head is best, within your budget, and you're unlikely to ever need another amp again should you choose to go that route. But I'd definitely do the C30 over the TT. In fact, I did! For the same reasons - I wanted good cleans at gig levels.

That's what I was thinking. I'm all for getting the best amp you can, when you can too, but the best amp is always the one with the best tone or the most expensive. Sometimes it's the one that will favour me most on all acounts such as price and tone etc. Because of this I think I will side for the Classic 30.

Thank you

Sorry I know.

The Rocker 30 is IMO superior, but the Classic 30 is a fantastic amp, espeically for the price. One of the better tube amps out there.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band