Poll: Does not allowing crossdressing count as discrimination/sexism?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does not allowing crossdressing count as discrimination/sexism?
Yes, it does
85 74%
No, it doesn't
30 26%
Voters: 115.
So as most of you are aware. It's the season of black cats, jack-o-lanters, and candy. 'Tis Halloween tonight.

Anyways, I want UG's opinions and thoughts on this particular subject. Today, at my school, the students were allowed to wear their halloween costumes throughout the day, as long as they fit the dress-code. There were some other guidelines that were announced. No PIMP outfits, no sexy/seductive outfits (short skirted nurses and whatnot), no masks, no completely painted faces, no over-sized accesories, and no crossdressing.

Now, it's been my tradition to be a girl for Halloween. I've been doing it for years. I was very sad to see that if i came to school dressed as a girl, I would be sent home to change, or have to put a big sweater over my outfit or something.

My question to you guys: Should public schools not allow cross-dressing. Does this fall under the catergory of discrimination? I believe it does. Basically, they say that a certain group of students, based on gender, are allowed to wear these clothes, but another group of students (based on gender) are not allowed to. Also, do you believe this is a one way deal? I mean, do you believe that a girl who dressed as a guy would be sent home? I think that the cross-dressing only applies to guys. This is discrimination and sexism.

What do you guys believe? Post arguements to either side.
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
So as most of you are aware. It's the season of black cats, jack-o-lanters, and candy. 'Tis Halloween tonight.

Anyways, I want UG's opinions and thoughts on this particular subject. Today, at my school, the students were allowed to wear their halloween costumes throughout the day, as long as they fit the dress-code. There were some other guidelines that were announced. No PIMP outfits, no sexy/seductive outfits (short skirted nurses and whatnot), no masks, no completely painted faces, no over-sized accesories, and no crossdressing.

Now, it's been my tradition to be a girl for Halloween. I've been doing it for years. I was very sad to see that if i came to school dressed as a girl, I would be sent home to change, or have to put a big sweater over my outfit or something.

My question to you guys: Should public schools not allow cross-dressing. Does this fall under the catergory of discrimination? I believe it does. Basically, they say that a certain group of students, based on gender, are allowed to wear these clothes, but another group of students (based on gender) are not allowed to. Also, do you believe this is a one way deal? I mean, do you believe that a girl who dressed as a guy would be sent home? I think that the cross-dressing only applies to guys. This is discrimination and sexism.

I see nothing wrong with these.
Yes it does. It's gender discrimination to even label it crossdressing.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i would just laugh if someone cross-dressed, it wouldn't offend anyone in my school i don't think.... i dressed up as a jew today for halloween and i won second in the costume contest haha
my school allows crossdressing at school and its a public high school. you cant change who you are.
ive done it. the teachers get pissed but cant do anything about it
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
you know, thats really funny,

because im in a private high school and my friend came to school dressed as a girl and all the teachers laughed their asses off.
he had a wig, one of his moms shirts, a bra that he stuffed, and a pink dress.

personally, i think its perfectly fine.
people should be allowed to wear whatever they want, as long as its not too inappropriate.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
So you raise your hand when they call on you.........^
they can do it because its a school and they have certain rights.
is it right, no. It sure as hell aint hurting anybody, in fact at my school (i go to a private school) it is in our school rules that guys are allowed to wear skirts!!!
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
You're right.

I sense a Supreme Court case coming on...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by The*Music*Man
they can do it because its a school and they have certain rights.
is it right, no. It sure as hell aint hurting anybody, in fact at my school (i go to a private school) it is in our school rules that guys are allowed to wear skirts!!!

Good, as long as they shave their legs.........
I went to a Catholic High School and I used to see tons of people crossdressed for halloween, even pimps and playboy bunnies lol

Our religion teacher showed us a picture of him crossdressed when he was in university
It's discrimination, my school had a few cross dressers. do you go to public or private? if private there is pretty much nothing you can do.
Quote by burn the stars
It's discrimination, my school had a few cross dressers. do you go to public or private? if private there is pretty much nothing you can do.

read the thread title -.-
I go to a catholic school and one kid was dressed head to toe in pimp clothes..
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
yeah i ran into that problem trying to dress as ddoctor Fank-N-Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show,but i think it was more of me wearing girls underwer and pretty much nothin else so...yea it does
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
i see no problem with it, but i see no problem not allowing it either. as for not halloween and actually cross-dressing, i don't think that should be allowed.
My schools public and we weren't even allowed to wear costumes today.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Quote by MedicreDemon
So you raise your hand when they call on you.........^

No, like if you do something bad.

"Who was that?"

"I don't know never seen then before."
we weren't even allowed to dress up. they sent home the kids that did
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
NO SEXY NURSES!? There were a bunch of those at my school last year... this year there were some Catholic schoolgirls though

I love private schools...
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

Sue them or something lol, take it to the supreme court. My english teacher dressed as a dude. She wore baggy jeans (they were her son's), Quicksilver belt, hat with the front facing the back, some generic jacket, skater shoes etc. lol
Many people thought it was a new student :P
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
It really bothers me I'm not allowed to cross dress at school. It's my damn life and if I'm abiding by the same rules as the girls, I should be able to wear a damn skirt. If people think I'm going to corrupt their children, send them to some sheltered private school, but they'll run into people like me in the real world eventually.

That's not really my argument for the subject, just me venting some anger.
DOWN&OUT
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me...if the schools allowed crossdressing, all the guys who did it would just have gigantic fake titties and act like sluts which is gender discrimination in itself. You wouldn't think this would happen, but in my experience,it does.
and what pisses me off is that they won't even say what exactly is a "garment not in keeping with your gender." if they tell me they have a rule, they should at least tell me how to break it! the only thing i can understand is not okay is guys in skirts. it's a little bit discrimination, but i find it mostly just plain stupid. where is it written down what boys wear and what girls wear? nobody is getting hurt by having a guy in a skirt. i don't understand how they can have so many ridiculous rules if they require us to go to these places.
discrimination, yes....

unlawful, no....

The supreme court has made very clear that pretty much any dress code is fair game as long as it applies to everybody. They even upheld rules about length of men's hair.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I see where the teachers are coming from.
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
Claim that the skirt you wear is a kilt, and that's not cross-dressing, is it?
"The poor didn't want this one."
well, some of the reasons for dress codes are there for indecent exposure.

The only one I can think of though is guys not wearing way ****ing tight jeans, as the bulge will be pretty obvious. Actually, come to think of it, they might as well ban erections as well...

I don't see anything wrong with cross dressing though.
Quote by Musicman48858
discrimination, yes....

unlawful, no....

The supreme court has made very clear that pretty much any dress code is fair game as long as it applies to everybody. They even upheld rules about length of men's hair.

my point is that it doesn't apply to everybody. Girls can crossdress all they want. No one would send them home for it. They'd say she's just a tomboy.
Quote by HeavenlyVirus

I see no problem here, boys wear boys clothes and girls wear girls clothes.

dont make mountains out of molehills, you cant crossdress at school, not that i can understand why in the name of all that is maddox you would want to.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Yes, it does.

I feel pretty strongly about this one, I mean there's really no reason why I can wear trousers but my friends (who I'm sure some of whom would like to) can't wear skirts. I don't see gender, so I don't understand gender discrimination.

*tuts*
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Honestly, clothes are clothes. Personally, I think any set of clothing, be they skirt, pants, dresses, shorts, whatever, should be worn by whomever, male or female, it doesn't matter.

The fact that it's a big deal at all is stupid. Seriously, girls "crossdress" all the time. All the time. A guy in a skirt should be as little of a deal as that.