I suppose it would help to give you the whole scenario, so here it goes.
I have a Epiphone quilt top les paul that I just bought EMG 81/85's for and had installed because the stock pickups were horrible. I had a local guitar shop install the EMG's because i knew the pots n everything needed changed so I didn't dare ruin my guitar

Anyways, I have my first electric guitar ever...some kind of epiphone SG, not sure which kind, but i wanted to make it a project guitar so i am going to put the old stock les paul pups in it because i know they will fit. I have never changed anything except strings and keys on a guitar so i'm a novice and need pointed in the right direction.

So, where do i start? what tools will i need? all that good stuff.

Thanks alot guys
Gear
Epiphone Quilt Top Les Paul w/ EMG 81-85
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace
Screwdriver, wrench/pliers, soldering iron, solder.
Wiring guitars is easy and fun, just practice soldering on scraps of wire if you've never done it before.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by FiveCentFailure
I suppose it would help to give you the whole scenario, so here it goes.
I have a Epiphone quilt top les paul that I just bought EMG 81/85's for and had installed because the stock pickups were horrible. I had a local guitar shop install the EMG's because i knew the pots n everything needed changed so I didn't dare ruin my guitar

Anyways, I have my first electric guitar ever...some kind of epiphone SG, not sure which kind, but i wanted to make it a project guitar so i am going to put the old stock les paul pups in it because i know they will fit. I have never changed anything except strings and keys on a guitar so i'm a novice and need pointed in the right direction.

So, where do i start? what tools will i need? all that good stuff.

Thanks alot guys
You start by getting some pickups that aren't horrible.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah man, even if those pups are terrible, go for it. It's a good way to learn about your guitar. If you're feeling particularly adventurous try switching things up a bit with the wiring scheme. add a treble retention circuit, change a cap value, see what happens. It's the best way to understand how it all works, IMO.
i didn't know the quilt top ones came with EMGs...

but going from EMGs to passive, u'd need a pot switch too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ EC, read the OP. TS replaced the stock LP pickups with EMGs

Quote by the.spine.surfs
^I dissaggree. It's worth practicing this kind of thing on a lousy guitar, for the sake of learning.
And it's worth MORE to get some inexpensive but decent pickups, so the end result is an improvement.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ EC, read the OP. TS replaced the stock LP pickups with EMGs

And it's worth MORE to get some inexpensive but decent pickups, so the end result is an improvement.

ahahaha u always tell me to read the OP. :P: my bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard