Page 1 of 2
There is a speech tournament coming up in December, and in this tournament we are to write a speech that focuses on an aspect of the constitution that emphasizes citizens' responsibilities and obligations to the government.

I've come up with a lot of ideas initially, but not much else, and I'm afraid I may not be seeing other angles, and other sides that I should be seeing.

So far I'm leaning towards writing about how our guaranteed rights from the Bill of Rights, make us have a responsibility to protect ourselves and our government from corruption by exercising our rights. It is our responsibility to "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" as it says in the Preamble. Wakka Wakka Wakka. (on a side note, the whole thing is sort of funny because we all expect our rights to a speedy trial by jury but everyone tries to get out of jury duty).

I don't want anyone doing my work for me, but I do want to sort of open the discussion so I can see things from other angles, and maybe use that to strengthen my own points, etc, whatever.

So...what obligations do we, as citizens, have to our government?
Follow laws, vote, pay taxes, ect. I dunno. I'm tired. :\
666 BRO
You could go with the whole Conscription, and obligation to fight for freedom topic, but most people disagree with that and I'm not sure it fits the topic,

Ehh, I'm not very good at thinking right now so I probably won't be much help
Our main obligation to the government is to....

over throw it and create a new one whenever we find it oppressive.

Of course it doesn't have to be through violent revolution, a revolutionary election is pretty much all you really need.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
SPEECH TOURNAMENT? The only thing better than each of those two words is when they are combined.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by Alex The Red
Our main obligation to the government is to....

over throw it and create a new one whenever we find it oppressive.

Of course it doesn't have to be through violent revolution, a revolutionary election is pretty much all you really need.

this is true, but completely ****ed up in a contemporary sense. there are so many restrictions on the government that it would be impossible that it could actually become oppresive. there'd be somebody smart enough to point out something unconstituional and bring that up, there always is.
I totally believe that military service should be mandatory...and this whole bull**** about Gay's not being able to be in the service.....i don't understand any reasoning for it..but that's besides the point. Definitely military service...as for the governments responsibility? It shouldn't be a broken corrupt system that it is today. It should be just.....Blindfolded lady with scales etc.... their are alot of crooks on Capitol Hill....HOWEVER, We the People need to ****ing change. We shouldn't expect alot of ****ing handouts, and get our asses working.
Super-serial list of equipment: guitar, amp, some picks, and a cable.

I know i can be an A55hole, however i try to mean well most of the time..
We have no obligations to our government. We owe nothing to the government. The government owes us. People consent to being govern. If the government gets out of control like it is now it is the responsibility of the people to get rid of it.
Turn Off Your Mind, Relax And Float Downstream

...and if you don't know where your going, any road will take you there
^ Military service mandatory? No, I don't think I'll be picking up an M4 any time soon.
666 BRO
Quote by Kankuro
^ Military service mandatory? No, I don't think I'll be picking up an M4 any time soon.

Well that's the price for freedom.

"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our country and all who serve it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Quote by sobeisbull
this is true, but completely ****ed up in a contemporary sense. there are so many restrictions on the government that it would be impossible that it could actually become oppresive. there'd be somebody smart enough to point out something unconstituional and bring that up, there always is.

Are you saying our government is not oppressive? Our government that tortures people. Illegally starts wars. Takes away our civil liberties with unconstitutional legislation like the Patriot Act. The founding fathers are turning over in their graves. Today we face much more oppression then the founding fathers faced.

^ Oh please.

Edit: DeadDerykk88
666 BRO
Last edited by Kankuro at Nov 1, 2007,
The president has implemented everything necessary to declare martial law and become a dictator. If there is ever another terrorist attack or environmental disaster he can declare martial law.

Dude we're not being oppressed...we live in the best damn country in the world. Try moving to god damn China where if you were to see this site, and have an open discussion about freedom and government you'd be killed.

Last edited by DeadDerykk88 at Nov 1, 2007,
I'll agree with you on that one... >_< Although were probably not the best country in the world.
666 BRO
It's our obligation to pay attention and keep them in check.

American revolutionists were the biggest rebels of all time and founded this country on the concept that too much power in the government restricts man's natural rights.

If anything, our obligation is to keep them in line.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Absolutely...but we can't pay attention with all our god damn fast food and Guitar Hero.....
I was eating McDonalds earlier

^ ... i'll be off to finish off the devil in GH, maybe in 10 minutes. :\
666 BRO
Oppressed might be too strong of a word but our freedoms are slowly being taken away. Our government is way too big and nearly everyone in Washington DC is corrupt. The system is broken and needs to be fixed before its too late.

I read the first post...American Legion Competition, right? I came in first for my region and decided not to try to win any more than that, Iw as also working on going to Nationals in my debate league and was sick of giving speeches.

I don't feel like finding the file on the computer I did the work on, and I don't have it here. I believe I focused on the fact that constitutionallyspeaking we don't owe the government anything but that we need to be involved in government--we the people make a government for the people. So we need to protect the Constitution. It doesn't require anything of us, but we owe it everything, as without it we would probably be very oppressed and have no rights. So we need to get involved by voting, by exercising our rights, and by paying attention when people try to take them away. I think I concluded by calling for us to register to vote or something.

The extemperanous speech....find out what the options are, and go ahead and sketch out an outline for each. Try to find a really good quote that can work with any of them, and maybe a good fact that can too. Memorize the outline (simple three points) and your quote, so when they give you your topic, you can use the 5 minutes to recall your outline and quote and make a great speech.

Also, do you know anything about the "speech walk"? Imagine a triangle. Start at the top for your intro. For your first point, move either right or left, to one of the corner points. Second point, move to the opposite corner. Third point, be in the middle, in between your first and second point points, closer to your audience than your introduction. For your conclusion, take another step or two forwards, closer to the audience. Make sure to look all of them, including and definitely the judges, in the eyes as you talk, otherwise they feel like it's memorized. Psych out your opponents by bringing some wierd thing to the prep room with you, like your guitar and a mini amp, walk around before the actual event starts playing nonsense songs. When they tell you time has started they'll probably make you put the guitar up, but basically you want to make your opponents think you are going to give an amazing speech. They'll never hear it, so even if you bomb they'll never know, so it's ok to be a little arrogant. Of course, you all find out who wins, so don't be too arrogant unless you know you are going to win.
Quote by chaz man
Oppressed might be too strong of a word but our freedoms are slowly being taken away. Our government is way too big and nearly everyone in Washington DC is corrupt. The system is broken and needs to be fixed before its too late.

Explain how our freedom is being taken away or stop posting in this thread please.
Our obligation to the government is to follow any laws that aren't immoral, to vote, to protest and make sure the government damn well knows who put them there.
Quote by JahJahwarrior
I read the first post...American Legion Competition, right? I came in first for my region and decided not to try to win any more than that, Iw as also working on going to Nationals in my debate league and was sick of giving speeches.

I don't feel like finding the file on the computer I did the work on, and I don't have it here. I believe I focused on the fact that constitutionallyspeaking we don't owe the government anything but that we need to be involved in government--we the people make a government for the people. So we need to protect the Constitution. It doesn't require anything of us, but we owe it everything, as without it we would probably be very oppressed and have no rights. So we need to get involved by voting, by exercising our rights, and by paying attention when people try to take them away. I think I concluded by calling for us to register to vote or something.

The extemperanous speech....find out what the options are, and go ahead and sketch out an outline for each. Try to find a really good quote that can work with any of them, and maybe a good fact that can too. Memorize the outline (simple three points) and your quote, so when they give you your topic, you can use the 5 minutes to recall your outline and quote and make a great speech.

Also, do you know anything about the "speech walk"? Imagine a triangle. Start at the top for your intro. For your first point, move either right or left, to one of the corner points. Second point, move to the opposite corner. Third point, be in the middle, in between your first and second point points, closer to your audience than your introduction. For your conclusion, take another step or two forwards, closer to the audience. Make sure to look all of them, including and definitely the judges, in the eyes as you talk, otherwise they feel like it's memorized. Psych out your opponents by bringing some wierd thing to the prep room with you, like your guitar and a mini amp, walk around before the actual event starts playing nonsense songs. When they tell you time has started they'll probably make you put the guitar up, but basically you want to make your opponents think you are going to give an amazing speech. They'll never hear it, so even if you bomb they'll never know, so it's ok to be a little arrogant. Of course, you all find out who wins, so don't be too arrogant unless you know you are going to win.
Haha, yeah it is the American Legion one. I haven't gone to this tournament before, but I've been to a few.

I know all about the "speech walk." I am my school's speech and debate president.

Thanks a lot though, and thanks to everyone else too.
All the citizens really need to do is be an overall good person, obey laws, pay taxes, and vote for good people, in my opinion. And make sure that the government doesn't revolt against the will of the people.
As a citizen of California, you have the obligation to go with your Governor if you want to live.
Quote by Meths
I don't think we have any.

Gah! I wanted you to quote everyone and go on and on about this.

Um...I guess my view can be boiled down to this: We have an obligation to point out all the governments screw ups, hold them accountable for their actions.

Though, this is more of an obligation to ourselves, protecting us from our government, but whatever, it works.
Are these obligations purely to government, or to the state?
Im my view, our basic obligation to the government is to put up with them for the term they are in for, because we were stupid enough to vote for them.
I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of John Locke's Second Treatise on Government if you're interested in the Philosophy that our system of government is based upon. And as for the preamble, "in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general well-fare and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity" are the obligations that our leaders, the government, has to the citizens.

Strictly speaking, we have no obligations to our government. We do need to keep in mind though that as the government does things like provide roads for us to drive on and mint our money, the government does have the right to punish us if we do not follow laws enacted regarding such services.

The government in America has gotten quite out of hand, I believe, and has taken its powers far beyond what is allowed by the Constitution, which is why we need someone like Ron Paul as president.
Quote by LolPirates
I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of John Locke's Second Treatise on Government if you're interested in the Philosophy that our system of government is based upon. And as for the preamble, "in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general well-fare and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity" are the obligations that our leaders, the government, has to the citizens.

Strictly speaking, we have no obligations to our government. We do need to keep in mind though that as the government does things like provide roads for us to drive on and mint our money, the government does have the right to punish us if we do not follow laws enacted regarding such services.

The government in America has gotten quite out of hand, I believe, and has taken its powers far beyond what is allowed by the Constitution, which is why we need someone like Ron Paul as president.

That is a very narrow interpretation. Sure the government is there to do all of those things, but we have to hold the government accountable for its actions, and whether or not it is doing those things. And when they aren't doing these things, it is the people who have to exercise their rights to free speech etc, and make sure that the government changes and does what it is there to do.

Or else we have a John Locke situation on our hands. The people have a right to revolt and start over when the government is not protecting "Life, liberty, and property."
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Or else we have a John Locke situation on our hands. The people have a right to revolt and start over when the government is not protecting "Life, liberty, and property."

That was exactly my point. In Democracy (or any liberal form of government) the Government exists to serve the people. If we lived in a Monarchy or some sort of Authoritarian society then the obligation would be on our part. But the point of our constitution is to ensure that the government serves we, the people.
Quote by LolPirates
That was exactly my point. In Democracy (or any liberal form of government) the Government exists to serve the people. If we lived in a Monarchy or some sort of Authoritarian society then the obligation would be on our part. But the point of our constitution is to ensure that the government serves we, the people.
So when the government fucks up, we just say "Hey, constitution, do your thing."?

Of course not. We the people need to use our guaranteed rights (Bill of Rights, which is a part of the constitution) to be able to enforce our constitution. It is an obligation that we have to ourselves to protect our own rights, and an obligation to the government, because as we see over and over again, the government isn't perfect.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Haha, yeah it is the American Legion one. I haven't gone to this tournament before, but I've been to a few.

I know all about the "speech walk." I am my school's speech and debate president.

Thanks a lot though, and thanks to everyone else too.

I was the forensics team prez in high school too....good times. Congress was my thing though, I could give a good speech but I really loved debating in the more informal method that Congress uses, as compared to LD. LD puts my stomach in knots, so many rules,it's all procedural

And come on, you are the prez and you come to the pit for speech advice???
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
So when the government fucks up, we just say "Hey, constitution, do your thing."?

Of course not. We the people need to use our guaranteed rights (Bill of Rights, which is a part of the constitution) to be able to enforce our constitution. It is an obligation that we have to ourselves to protect our own rights, and an obligation to the government, because as we see over and over again, the government isn't perfect.

Right, but I don't see how using our guaranteed rights to enforce the constitution is an obligation to the government. (We might just be arguing semantics here.) If anything, it's an obligation to ourselves against the government just in case it becomes corrupt.
Procreation - Doing your duty to the Party.
Quote by soccermom
HELL YES!

tis some pretty intresting, I have nearly read (masturbated) to all the articles on Wiki.

Page 1 of 2