So, I'm a bassist and I've got ska bass down already (yano, with the walking basslines and everything :>

So uh, my question is can I get some pointers for guitar playing? I got the playing chords reapatedly down, but I was wondering for some other guitar techniques that apply in ska too.

And since I'm not a trumpetist or saxophonist, I was wondering what would be a good idea to replace those with.

I try to play non-punk ska btw.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
You don't need a horn section. You can just go without it, or if you're looking for more of a 2-Tone sound you can use a Tonewheel Organ. (there is software that emulates a tonewheel which you can play with a cheap MIDI controller if you're not into buying a big ol' organ)
yeah, organs are a huge need, not really a horn section, thats more 3rd-wave crap.

but for guitar, theres really not too much you do, its not much of a guitar-central music, which i like, it puts more focus on the band as a whole.
Quote by original=punk
yeah, organs are a huge need, not really a horn section, thats more 3rd-wave crap.

but for guitar, theres really not too much you do, its not much of a guitar-central music, which i like, it puts more focus on the band as a whole.

Horns are in most first wave I've heard. Never heard organs in first wave, mostly just second and occasionally in third.