Hey UG, so im trying to find a good amp that I can use for gigs, and after looking through several first hand models, I've decided that the Tone blaster X 150 watt model sounds ideal for my needs, and it is a cheap 150 watt amp too. Its packed with lots of great features, you can buy a foot switch for it and all the reviews say awesome things about it, especially from people who play hard rock and metal.

Does anyone own or have played any tone blaster x amps? and what were they like? Ive found one that is $680 first hand and im thinking of getting it sometime in the near future when i get enough cash. Would it be loud enough to be used at gigs without using a microphone or outputting it to the PA system?
it'd definitely be loud enough, but as a lot of other people are gonna say, you don't really need a high wattage SS half-stack.

if You really really want I half-stack I recommend the Randall RH150DG3 -- 150 Watts hybrid (SS with a tube in the preamp).

or, if your into the sound of the marshall JCM800 amps, you could try out a peavey windsor -- great sounding tube halfstack IMO, at a pretty low price, with a lot of wattage. You could prolly gig at any size venue with an amp this loud.

anyway, you don't really need a half-stack, a combo will work fine for gigging. gigging wattages vary. A small-medium gig should be covered by 30-50 tube watts, or 75-100 SS watts. 100 tube watts is outrageously loud.

I assume your playing hard-rock and metal, if so, your probably wanting some high-gain distortion, and I'd say the randall can do it well at a low price.

btw, all these amps are beyond loud enough for the need of a mic. Hell, They might be too loud for you. I'm pretty sure the windsor can handle any sized gig.

You could save up more and go for a used 5150 or 6505 from peavey.

although if you accept that you DON'T need a half stack you might be able to get away with a tube or SS combo. SS wise, I recommend one of the randall combos, or a peavey bandit -- tube wise, you can get a randall 50 watt tube combo for around your price range,a peavey windsor studio, or crate palomino

tube amp wattage is equivalent to about double itself (or more) as compared to solid state volume, so a 30 watt tube is more than good enough for a gig. Hell, my 30 watt tube combo gets the walls shaking at around volume 4 (out of 11)

I'd say avoid getting any vintage voiced amps (like my classic 30) because even with a peddle you'll have a hard time getting good high gain tones, since your into hard rock and metal.

all my recommendations should fit well in your price range ($650) -- although if I said used, I meant it, you can save half the amp price (or more sometimes) by going used.

check a site like http://www.musiciansfriend.com or http://www.zzounds.com to check out the stuff I mentioned here. Im tired, its 3:30 AM, and I have homework to do, so I didnt list out links individually, sorry.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Nov 1, 2007,
I use the tbx 65, it's very versatile, and the parametric mid control makes it sound really awesome. It can give it such a cool bass response, either fat and chunky or smooth and flowing. I've often lent it to the Jazz band, and they can get a pretty groovy clean sound out of it.
I played my first gig on ours a couple weeks ago, and it was loud enough. Although that was just me by myself.

As for the 150, which one is it? the combo or halfstack?

And alot of people here are likely to mention tube combos, and the fact that it's a solid state amp, but for what they are, I think they're pretty sweet sounding.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Quote by 8footsativaist
I use the tbx 65, it's very versatile, and the parametric mid control makes it sound really awesome. It can give it such a cool bass response, either fat and chunky or smooth and flowing. I've often lent it to the Jazz band, and they can get a pretty groovy clean sound out of it.
I played my first gig on ours a couple weeks ago, and it was loud enough. Although that was just me by myself.

As for the 150, which one is it? the combo or halfstack?

And alot of people here are likely to mention tube combos, and the fact that it's a solid state amp, but for what they are, I think they're pretty sweet sounding.

I actually like the sound/feel of solid state for some things.

I just mentioned a bunch of stuff in his price range (both SS and tube) for him to try.

I also think you should try some of the crate amps -- I rather like some of their SS amps, but SS wise, I'd say randall is better, especially for metal.

but again, half-stacks really don't sound any better, they just look cool, and add stage presence. They are heavy as hell, hard to move, and usually you can get a better sounding combo for a lot less (with output so you can plug into a speaker cab and make it a stack later)

but bear in mind Im prolly gonna buy a stack (probably the randall RH150G3) when i get some cash just because I need a high-gain amp, and I want to look cool on stage.

really its your money, and its up to you.

also, you should search sound samples on youtube, just type in the name of the amp, and if anything comes up, listen to it. That way you can get some idea whats do-able with it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
I've never seen any crate stuff here in new zealand.
I'd upload some sound clips, if we had any recording gear set up at school... which we don't... and we've got dialup quality broadband too, and youtube and the like sites have been blocked.

But anyway, back on topic.
Since he's in Australia, like us here in NZ, he's pretty much stuffed - eg a spider 3 stack is more than 1.2k over there, and probably more than 1.5k over here.

I think for what it is, and where it is, the tone blaster would be a good choice.

But as I asked before, which one is it, the halfstack or the combo?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_australia.html
Check it out on the main page, there's a link to tonblaster x sound clips from various models from the series.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Last edited by 8footsativaist at Nov 1, 2007,
Yeah, sorry guys i should have mentioned im looking at the 150 watt combo amp =P
Alrighty. Now, if amps like peaveys, randalls, etc are out o fyour price range like they generally are over here, it would be a good idea to look into the tbx. As i mentioned above, there's sound clips on the ibanez website (ibanez.com)
Check out the ones from all the amps though, since alot of them have the same sounds, so they can all do similar stuff.
I have to say, i really love the ibanez 65.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo