I have been intending (and busting my ass at work) for the Marshall JVM combo because it seems to suit my needs. For what I do now and the styles I want to develop in the future. But having just realized it doesn’t have any sort of power reductions (I have a small room and no one needs 100W of valve anyway) I think I’m going to have to leave it.

I chose it because; it has a very nice clean channel, important right now for my band (funk) and my own influences which are mainly rock, jazz and ska. But also great overdrive so I can develop my solo tone (Satriani ect.) and not be isolated from heavy rock, even metal, of which I hope to explore a lot more soon, probably when I’m off to Uni in two years time.

I can’t seem to find another amp that fits the bill in quite the same way. So I was thinking, maybe I should just get a Fender Deluxe now for my cleans and look at getting a second amp with decent overdrives later when I really need them. My wallet would certainly thank me.

I have a really horrible Carlsbro GLX50 (which I’m guessing you’ve never even heard of before) which volume wise copes fine at most, if not all, our gigs. Is a 40W valve equally powerful as a 50W solid state? Or is it more?

Oh - and I’m currently recording with my funk band, would the 40W Deluxe be too much for that or would it be just right? I’m new to recording and valve amps, so I have no idea.
The Deluxe would be magnificent for the funk band. And it'll even push into some nice blues and rock crunch tones. But not any further.

Personally I hate the JVMs. I think outside the Plexis, JCM800/800 and maybe JTM, Marshalls just aren't worth it. But that's a personal thing and perhaps a nostalgia thing. Their new amps just sound too damn pokey and angry for me.

It might be worth looking into something like a Vox AC30 CC1 (single speaker) or the twin if you have the cashola. The cleans are beautiful and it'll do some pretty serious overdriving if you push it hard enough and have some nice pedals. Worth a look
Quote by Tomaz24
...would the 40W Deluxe...

Fender Deluxe = 22W

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe = 40W

These amps are ENTIRELY different animals.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah. He's right. I'd get a deluxe reverb, and push it much harder.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Sorry, I meant the Hot Rod Deluxe. 22 Watt wouldn't really be enough for gigs.

So what do you guys think?
The Hot Rod would serve you well in your funk band. You probably won't have the master above 3 or 4 at band practice. The gain on the Fender leaves a little to be desired, IMHO.

The Deluxe Reverb is an awesome sounding amp, but quiet for 22W. I think my son's 15W Palomino is louder.

Other amps to try/consider: Peavey Classic 30/Delta Blues, Traynor YCV 40, Rivera Pub-/Chub-/Club-ster, used Mesa F series (the Riveras and Mesas have great cleans, and could probably handle your metal desires, too).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Depends on the speaker as well. I mean, 22w should be enough for gigging, albeit no clean headroom.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Depends on the speaker as well. I mean, 22w should be enough for gigging, albeit no clean headroom.

The DRRI stays clean at least 3/4 up the dial. I don't think it's a speaker issue, I think it's the design of the amp -maybe the 12AT7 in the preamp- but it's just not as loud as your average 15W combo for whatever reason.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The DRRI stays clean at least 3/4 up the dial. I don't think it's a speaker issue, I think it's the design of the amp -maybe the 12AT7 in the preamp- but it's just not as loud as your average 15W combo for whatever reason.

Might be that the 6v6's are just quieter tubes than most? I'm not well versed in 6v6 amps though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I think I'll probably go for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe then. I don't really have any immediate needs for more gain/distortion, so I think I'll probably just invest in another amp in a couple of years when I do.

Thanks for the help everyone,
Tomaz

Edit; So how loud is 40 watt? Louder than a solid state 50 watt?
Last edited by Tomaz24 at Nov 1, 2007,
It arrived an hour or two ago and I have to say - I'm absolutely in love with this delicate beast.

I've not touched the drive channel, but the clean is SOOOOO incredible I don't care. The reverb is amazing too. I FLIPPING LOVE THIS AMP.

And thank god I never got a 50w or even 100w vavle amp. I don't think I'll ever need to go above 4 with this 40w monster. :P
That's because the HRD's and the Blues deluxe's volume controls are done with logarithmic pots, you get pretty much full volume at 4.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12