mmmkay, so i bought a Dean ML body.
about a week later, i bought a Jackson replacement neck for it, with a locking nut and some crappy tuners to go along with it.
just been doing a little research. turns out that the neck i bought is for a 25.5" scale guitar, but the Dean body i have takes around a 24.75" neck or something around that. the neck i have is longer than the one needed.
what i wanna know is, if the scale length is longer than whats needed, how will this affect the guitar? examples, will intonation be affected, will it stay in tune correctly, will it HOLD tuning right etc.
any information will help out.
thanks in advance
Quote by thatguy333
mmmkay, so i bought a Dean ML body.
about a week later, i bought a Jackson replacement neck for it, with a locking nut and some crappy tuners to go along with it.
just been doing a little research. turns out that the neck i bought is for a 25.5" scale guitar, but the Dean body i have takes around a 24.75" neck or something around that. the neck i have is longer than the one needed.
what i wanna know is, if the scale length is longer than whats needed, how will this affect the guitar? examples, will intonation be affected, will it stay in tune correctly, will it HOLD tuning right etc.
any information will help out.
thanks in advance
The neck you bought requires that the bridge be 25 1/5 " away from the nut. If it isn't your intonation will be stuffed.

Staying in tune, or holding tuning is a different matter entirely.

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The neck you bought requires that the bridge be 25 1/5 " away from the nut. If it isn't your intonation will be stuffed.

Staying in tune, or holding tuning is a different matter entirely.

/thread.

but will it still play right or anything? like, if i play a certain fret or chord will it sound the same as a guitar with the right scale lengths?
no it won't, as the other guy said, it'll stay in tune like any other guitar, but it'll just be out of tune on all the frets.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Pete Griffin
no it won't, as the other guy said, it'll stay in tune like any other guitar, but it'll just be out of tune on all the frets.

mmmkay.
what if i was to move the bridge a little closer or further away, depending on what is needed? would that fix it if it was the right scale?
also, from the bridge, on a tune-o-matic, gibson type bridge, where would you measure the scale length from? like the end of the fine tuners??
yes you could move the bridge further away from the neck, so that the scale measures 25.5 then you would be ok. The scale length is from the nut to the saddles, the part in the middle of this pic http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/gibsonbrg.jpg

The pickups wouldn't be in the correct position, but i'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Pete Griffin
yes you could move the bridge further away from the neck, so that the scale measures 25.5 then you would be ok. The scale length is from the nut to the saddles, the part in the middle of this pic http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/gibsonbrg.jpg

The pickups wouldn't be in the correct position, but i'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

alright. thanks a lot man. just one more thing.
under the tune-o-matic bridge... theres 2 thingies that go INTO the body. how do i get those out? brute force? or is there a specific way to get those out?
You are beating a dead horse in my opinion. I'd rather have a cheap-o strat copy than have to put up with what you are going to get out of this guitar. If you decide to go ahead, good luck to you.

Chris
Quote by thatguy333
alright. thanks a lot man. just one more thing.
under the tune-o-matic bridge... theres 2 thingies that go INTO the body. how do i get those out? brute force? or is there a specific way to get those out?

I'm assuming you're talking about the things that the pegs screw into for the bridge? When I bought a floyd rose for my guitar, which was gold (original was chrome), the new pegs were a different thread than the plastic things in the guitar. I talked to someone and they said you have to pry them out with a threaded rod that will fit it and soapy water. You could also crack the guitar getting these things out. Needless to say I left the old threads in and used the chrome pegs.