Hey peoples.
In sections so skip ahead to whatever you wanna reply about. genres and such at the end of post.

PEDALS
So i am thinking of starting to buy some pedals to better my tone and ability to make up cool spacey sounding riffs.
I was thinking first off i would start with bettering my tone instead of getting a wah and delay straight away i would get a EQ and a clean boost pedal.
I was thinking something along the line of the following. *warning i am quite a noob at pedals and such so my list is sorta crappy*

MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff (only $150 so very very cheap in aus compared to other pedals)
Maybe a Behringer delay pedal (heard they were exact copys of boss delays and VERY cheap)
Boss dd-3 delay
MXR 10 band eq(do i really need a 10 band?)
ISP Decimator(****ing hate the hum i get from my tsl and im sure there will be more with pedals)
Crybaby wah(WILL be modding this)

Thats what i thought for pedals(again i havent really looked that far into pedals and the like).
so basically i want.
Boost.
EQ.
Delay.
Wah.
Noise suppresor.
Maybe overdrive pedal?(tube screamer? maxon? again i can and will be modding it if its crap)

I really wouldnt mind my sound being tighter. although it is fairly ok now.

now onto the pickups

PICKUPS

So i have two guitar that need new pups.
First one a Ibanez Rg Maple thru neck with rosewood fret board(should be a big factor in tone) and basswood body.
I was thinking of getting some seymour duncans for this guitar. maybe a jb(heard it is trebly and may not suit the basswood body of my rg) or a custom custom for the bridge. As of now i am only changing bridge pickups for these guitars as i dotn have the cash to change both pickups on each one.

Second one a J&D les paul copy mahogany body and neck.
For this i was thinking of a emg 81 in the bridge as i can get one for very very very cheap. people say it adds more gain aswell so thats a plus.

So recommend Pickups for these guitars if you can. styles of music etc will be listed at bottom of this giant post.

now
PREAMPS
So a small question here.
If i got a preamp say a engl e-350 or mesa boogie V-twin pedal preamp could i run it with my tsl? like through the effects loop bypassing the tsl's preamp and going straight to the power amp but still be able to use the tsl's pre?
Cause if so this would be awesome as i could have many tonal possibilities.
Or would it end up being to complex of a rig?
Im thinking if i use some sort of a/b box between the two it would work.

Now the style of music i play in my band is metalcore apparently(record label dude told us so. so we will stick with it).
Although that is not all I play. i like playing really everything.
I should just say opeth as they cover everything.
For the pickups and such i want REALLY good pinch harmonics. i can pull em off decently now but i wouldnt mind them being easier to pull of and maybe louder.

THANKS.

and so sorry about the huge post.
i really didnt intend for it to be so gigantic. i just thought it would be easier to doing everything in one hit instead of many small threads.

and sorry about spelling and grammar mistakes aswell as i am not to good at them.

Oh and things need to be farly cheap. i will buy the most necesarry(sp?) things soonest and work towards the rest latter.
And if you could maybe put the things you reccomend in a list you think would be best to buy them in?

Thanks very very much for any help given and for reading this.
(oh and if you cant understand any part of my post tell me)

EDIT: Oh shizz also add on a good pedal tuner to that list. like one that can also do intonation. so good.
Last edited by wongacaster at Nov 1, 2007,
Pedals - Do not get a behringer pedal. They're noisy and aren't really that well built. Invest in the Boss DD3

10 band EQ will allow better modelling but you don't necessarily need one. A 5 band EQ should work just aswell.

Check out this booster - http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_sfx01_pickupbooster.htm?partner_id=59917

You can get the Boss NS-2 noise gate for much less than the ISP Decimator.

If your metalcore you don't want an overdrive - and DEFINATELY not a tubescreamer. Look into the EHX Metal Muff.

EMG 81's are high gain pick-ups so theyre great for metal and classic rock.

The JB (Seymour Duncans) are really great.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Well for pedals i definitely suggest something like a tube screamer, ts9 or ts808 to give your tsl a little boost or a little more gain, just make sure you play both to see which is more suitable to you and maybe an mxr 6 band eq for a little more versatility. An ISP decimator is supposedly very good at reducing hum so that sounds like a good idea also.

As for pickups, as soon as i hear basswood i think of dimarzio. I say check dimarzios website for pickups most suitable to you. Considering you play metal you could try the d activators. But the Evos and tonezones are known for their harmonic pick-up too. And they are pretty high-output pickups also.

And as for preamps i have know idea ahha i hope i helped a little
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Thanks for quick responses dudes. mucho appreciated.
Hmm the seymour one is probably more expensive than the Boost 'N' Buff here in aus.
and ive heard the boost and buff is really good. and heard nothing of the seymour one.
WHOA the boss NS-2 is really cheap although i have heard that the decimator decimates it.
Ill go look on dimarzio's site now and check out some reviews on there pups.
All i can help you with is: wah pedal - check out a vox wah.

Tuner - get the planet waves pedal tuner. It's awesome.
Erm, if you want a cheap Overdrive, then you can check out the Digitech Bad Monkey. Real good for the price, easily competes with pedals twice the price...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
My two cents: Go with passive pickups instead of the EMG's. They sound much better 95% of the time, and through your TSL, I have a feeling they'll sound very, very thin.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you can use the mxr 10 band eq as a clean boost, therefore making a boost pedal kind of a waste...
Quote by wongacaster

PREAMPS
So a small question here.
If i got a preamp say a engl e-350 or mesa boogie V-twin pedal preamp could i run it with my tsl? like through the effects loop bypassing the tsl's preamp and going straight to the power amp but still be able to use the tsl's pre?
Cause if so this would be awesome as i could have many tonal possibilities.
Or would it end up being to complex of a rig?
Im thinking if i use some sort of a/b box between the two it would work.
Get a true bypass looper pedal with one stomp to switch between two loops. The guitar into the input ofcourse. fitst loop, the send will go to the amp input, and the return will come from the fx send on the amp. Your second preamp will go in the second loop. And the output will go to the fx return on your amp. Something like this. I think that should work.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Nov 3, 2007,
Yeah you prolly will need a noise suppressor with all these pedals. But the boss ns-2 sucks more tone than the isp decimater. So it might take away some tubey goodness of your amp. And about the boost, you could get an od as a boost like the bad monkey or the eq can work the same way as a boost also. And if you have the money the mxr eq would be good, but you might check out the danelectro fish n chips because its 7 band and really inexpensive, yet not a piece of crap either. And for the wah, if you're playing any type of metal a vox wah might not be that good for it, something like the Ibanez WD7, Crybaby from hell/535Q or Morley bad horsie would be better for high gain stuff. Hopefully this helps a little.

Quote by mrchow
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you can use the mxr 10 band eq as a clean boost, therefore making a boost pedal kind of a waste...

Just what i was thinkin.
Quote by mrchow

or would that make the eq a waste

hey i live in melbourne too. im going to head down to deluxe guitars in south melbourne, and grab myself a boost n buff. apparently its only a $120. i got a behringer eq from cranbourne music in the city, and its not that bad actually.

sorry to highjack the thread, but would using the boost and buff to buffer the pedals make all the pedals the same as true bypass?
Sigs are too hard to think up
About using a preamp with your TSL... You had how to connect everything correct - Guitar -> Preamp Input -> Preamp output into Effects Loop Return. BUT, it will bypass the TSL's preamp, you'll be using the TSL solely for the poweramp section. I'm not a huge fan of the TSL.

If you're not too happy with the sound of the amp, get an EQ pedal instead of getting a preamp. Stick the EQ in the loop and you'll be able to EQ the amp to your liking, beyond what the amps EQ provide.