i think i've learned the ionian and aeolian modes to death! i get how to use them and i can recognise them in songs and improvise and write with them easily.

I want to expand onto using some other modes now...

however the sort of stuff i'm familiar with is usually based around major or minor...

does anyone know any bands/genres that tend to use other modes of the major scale in their riffs and leads and dont just play random notes?
Dancing In Your Dust
All of the modes are based around the major scale, so you're not going to escape that. There's a list of the modes and what styles they're mainly used for in the MT sticky.
Contrary to popular belief, modes don't have specific genres attached to them. Specific feels, yes, but no genres. Because of the chord/mode relationship (their married with 2 kids , jokes) the mode will change in accordance with the chord that is under it. So if you have a three chord song, there will be three modes in the melody/solo.

You probably were not feeling the ionian and aeolian per sey, but most likely the minor feel of the 3 minor modes (as aeolian) and the major feel of the 3 major modes (ionian).

And RTFS. It explains everything 10 times better than me.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
all of the modes are based around a major or minor tonality. the ionian, lydian, and mixolydian all sound 'major' while the dorian, phrygian, aeolian, and locrian all sound 'minor'. if you want a genre that messes around with different modes, just listen to a lot of jazz. jazz is all about f-ing around modes and colorful chords.