OK, I'm considering getting a new guitar, and i'm trying to decide between either a strat/tele sound or start heading in a heavier direction.

Ive heard of Hagstrom, but what would the super swede be appropriate for? are they high quality? could it switch between blues and metal (like zakk metal)?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It's a more vintage-ish guitar, with some pretty dark tones.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
It's a more vintage-ish guitar, with some pretty dark tones.

eh, so....is it good? would it handle metal? im assuming not with since you said it was vintage-ish
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
it has dark tones. it is good for metal. the telecaster has very high tones i've got the super swede it is fu***** nice go buy it
One
We are one
one is the beginning
are you one Herbert?

I'm not Herbert
You could change the pickups if you wanted.

It's a very good guitar for the price.

I think a Michael Kelly Patriot Black would be a better idea. It's a spectacular guitar for the price and the Rockfield Fat Asses are suited for what you want to play.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
one of the guys in Nine Inch Nails plays a Hagstrom. one of the older ones in fact. he gets quite a good heavy distorted sound out of it. don't think it's a swede, but it's definately got some heavyness to it. tone wise.
also, if you have a good amp you can still play heavy songs on a vintage sounding guitar. i have a 77 ibanez that i play through a marshall, and it sounds just fine. doesn't hurt that i'm using a boss metal zone with it though...
Just thought I'd throw in some quotes from reviews about the Rockfield Fat Ass humbuckers in the MK Patriot Black:

Rockfield’s Fat Ass pickup defined and enhanced these qualities with tight lows, thick crunch and sizzling highs. The Fat Ass’s harmonic enhancement is focused on the guitar’s upper midrange and deep treble tones, creating rich musicality that does not interfere with clarity. This big humbucker also pumps out tons of output, which is unusual for such a clear pickup.

It’s worth noting that this pair of pickups is perhaps one of the best-matched sets for metal guitar applications…
Quote by utsapp89
I've got an original 71 Swede and it is great for doing stuff like Black Sabbath. If you get the Super Swede it comes with a coil tap switch so you get alot of versatility out of it for different tones.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
I've got an original 71 Swede and it is great for doing stuff like Black Sabbath. If you get the Super Swede it comes with a coil tap switch so you get alot of versatility out of it for different tones.

Even though the current Hagstroms are good, they are a far-cry from the spectacular guitars of yesteryear
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Even though the current Hagstroms are good, they are a far-cry from the spectacular guitars of yesteryear

This is true. Although I have played one of the new Swedes and the feel and playability of the neck is bang on to the old ones, the pick ups sound good but I didnot have mine with me to compare. The body feels just as heavy. I am not sure if they are using the same woods. I have a feeling the main issue will be the quality control seeing as how they have the dreaded made in China sticker. For the $ they are still a decent guitar.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
they have the dreaded made in China sticker. For the $ they are still a decent guitar.

oooo, i that may have marked them off my list lol. i have never played a guitar from china that felt good....at all
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Keep in mind that almost nobody uses them, so they're the same quality at a cheaper price [or better quality at the same price.]
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
So.....does this mean I should've gotten the oldish looking Hagstrom that was in GC's used section instead of the Dot?
well, from the sound of things it'll still be there when I go back.....never got around to actually trying it out....

Assuming it's vintage, how much would it usually be going for? It was a semi-hollow (possibly full hollow, never picked it up), Fender-style headstock (I think), single coils reminiscient of a Rick or Gretsch (not typical singles or P-90s, basically), sunburst finish....
The new Hagstroms are great guitars and the neck is as fast as the originalse. You can't however compare them to the original ones. I sell the new ones and have a large collection of the original ones made in Sweden so I know them very well.
You will find a new Super Swede or Viking for a great price.
Be carefull buying a original Hagstrom since many have been altered and are not in original shape.
A nice Swede is between 600 and 900 $. (rare colors up to 1500$)
If you get a nice Genuine Super Swede for below 2000$ you are happy (if can find one)

Cheers