I've been recently researching this little 5-Watt amp, and the many, many mods available for it online. Is this possibly the most modded amp out there? I orginally didn't consider the Valve Junior, simply because it didn't have a master volume. I want to experiment by trying to use this amp as the primary tone-shaping, and distortion device (if that's possible), to drive a 4x12 cabinet with (so, I'll be buying the head version, not the combo). This is mainly for cabinet-miking applications for recording.

So, to cut to the chase, to save me from buying another expensive tube preamp to feed this baby, I was wondering if there was a commonly known overdrive mod for this amp to get it to really distort, while still at moderate to low volumes? (I want to avoid the use of any pedal in front of the amp.)
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Adding a master volume is probably the most common mod.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for the links, Don. I've already been reading the valvejunior.com site. Haven't decided on the cab yet. Might go for the full Marshall 1960AV. Might go cheaper. Gonna do some A/B cab tests at Guitar Center today, and see how big the differences really are.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

sorry for cuting in like this but have i got it right that the vj mods can be done to a hb ga5 aswell?
Quote by LEVEL4
Thanks for the links, Don. I've already been reading the valvejunior.com site. Haven't decided on the cab yet. Might go for the full Marshall 1960AV. Might go cheaper. Gonna do some A/B cab tests at Guitar Center today, and see how big the differences really are.

Ah right, I was under the impression you had the 4x12 already. If you don't, I suggest you seriously reconsider getting any 4x12. They're overly heavy, big, and frankly, the bass response you get out of them can be rediculous. A good 2x12 would be a cheaper and more realistic proposition, they're tighter sounding, lighter, smaller, etc - plus you could use the money you save from a 4x12 on a pair of your own speakers suited to your needs rather than the stock V30s a lot of cabs come with.
Yeah, I was first considering the Marshall MC212. Nice and small. But, I have a rather large room, and I thought the 4x12 might sound really interesting in there. Not really sure which speakers "suit my needs" best yet, though. I thought the V30s were best-suited for metal? Maybe too treble-ey? Get those G12s instead?

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 1, 2007,
Isn't the MC212 similar to the MG ones? Hum. Remember it's not just the speakers that make the cabinet sound good, it's the build quality, the frame woods, etc. On a $300 cabinet [like that], you can probably expect it to bust out at some point.

You're in the USA, which is lucky for you, since there's :

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20guitar.htm
It's a bit better. Not a bad cab, I don't think. No particle board, at least.