Do they exist? Originally i was leaning towards something like a high way one strat/tele, but i can get both of those sounds from my gurrent guitar.

But is there a guitar that can do heavy metal (like zakk distortion or disciple, for those who listen to Christian metal) and blues? would i be looking for like an LP sorta thing? or what?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by The red Strat.
LP, look no further.

would it be better to look at upper end epis, low end gibsons or an LP copyish thing by ESP or Ibanez? my range is going to be probly 600-1000. I MIGHT be able to get enough for a gibson LP studio but idk
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You know, I think I recommend them in every threat (sorry for that if it's getting annoying), but if you want a good LP copy you should check out Michael Kelly. I have the Patriot Limited and it's amazing. They have guitars ranging from real vintage blues/classic rock to metal, but on the ones with the SWC pickups you could do it both.
most people find higher end epis better than lower end gibsons.
i haven't compared those two, but i did compare a gibson studio and a epi std once, and the studio was clearly better. but the std wasn't a high end epi of course.

BUT, i see you have a spider... and you already have two humbucker guitars. so i would definitely sell the spider, and get a very good amp. it would do much more for your tone. and with the budget you'd have then, you could afford a really nice amp.
Quote by Perforator
You know, I think I recommend them in every threat (sorry for that if it's getting annoying), but if you want a good LP copy you should check out Michael Kelly. I have the Patriot Limited and it's amazing. They have guitars ranging from real vintage blues/classic rock to metal, but on the ones with the SWC pickups you could do it both.

thanks, but i rly dont like the way the Patriots look
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by The red Strat.
most people find higher end epis better than lower end gibsons.
i haven't compared those two, but i did compare a gibson studio and a epi std once, and the studio was clearly better. but the std wasn't a high end epi of course.

BUT, i see you have a spider... and you already have two humbucker guitars. so i would definitely sell the spider, and get a very good amp. it would do much more for your tone. and with the budget you'd have then, you could afford a really nice amp.

ok, well i like my spider thank you very much BUT i already have a nice tube amp, the silvertone there is awesome, its from 1957
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
thanks, but i rly dont like the way the Patriots look

i take that back, i looked at them again, they actually look pretty cool
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i dont think theres ever gonna be a guitar to contend with LP in versatility

it can do anything

so yeah LP all the way
Bassist: BC Rich Warlock (Platinium)

I'm a lefty

Killing is so much easier than forgiving... So much more fun too
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, well i like my spider thank you very much BUT i already have a nice tube amp, the silvertone there is awesome, its from 1957

ahh, never mind then if you like it .
oh ok i missed the Silvertone.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Nov 1, 2007,
or a fat strat. or an sg.
and a schecter c1 seem to be recommened alot around here for their versatility, although i personally have never played one.
Well my g400 does blues and metal. Thats what I wanted it to do. But not on the same pickup, and I replaced the original pickups for a somewhat highout put one in the bridge and a cleaner one in the neck. Most guitars will be able to do both with the right pickups. But les pauls and sgs are pretty versatile anyway.
Quote by The red Strat.
Ahh, never mind then if you like it .
Oh ok I missed the Silvertone.

fixed and corrected
Jackson DK2T. Do upgrade the neck pickup though to something like a Duncan '59. I actually a put a Gibson 498T in the neck, but try a '59.
It doesn't really matter what guitar you choose. If you have a good amp that can do both metal, cleans, and inbetween then you should be fine.

Most guitars are going to be specialized at doing rock, metal, jazz, blues, country but most of them should be able to carry into all genres.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
It doesn't really matter what guitar you choose. If you have a good amp that can do both metal, cleans, and inbetween then you should be fine.

Most guitars are going to be specialized at doing rock, metal, jazz, blues, country but most of them should be able to carry into all genres.

ok, i havent rly found that to be necessarily true. i mean yes u can get the basic sound, but teh reason i want a new guitar is because i want a guitar with a big sound, and a thick distortion. my fat strat and my jetking are great and all, but they just cant do that
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forwhomthebells
What about a Squire Custom 2?

eh, p-90s? for metal?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, i havent rly found that to be necessarily true. i mean yes u can get the basic sound, but teh reason i want a new guitar is because i want a guitar with a big sound, and a thick distortion. my fat strat and my jetking are great and all, but they just cant do that

What amp are you playing out of for metal. I wouldn't expect any metal to come out of an amp made way back in the day. They were built to be clean as possible. Your fat strat should be able to get a metal tone through any amp that has a good amount of distortion.

If you're playing through your spider and you want a thicker tone...buy a better amp. A better guitar will help slightly, but not nearly as much as a better amp would.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you like a nice thick blues sound, then a LP style guitar is perfect. An ESP EC-400VF or EC-1000 with Duncans will give you a great variety of tones (JB's are used by many artists from Lamb of God to KISS). The key difference between the two is that the 1000 will stay in tune for a LONG time thanks to locking bridge and tuners.
Quote by MESAexplorer
What amp are you playing out of for metal.

If you're playing through your spider and you want a thicker tone...buy a better amp. A better guitar will help slightly, but not nearly as much as a better amp would.

ok, well ive had people play thru my spider and get those bigger tones, etc. but im definitely going to consider getting a new amp. i really would prefer not because im goin to college next year and getting another amp would be kind of a big investment when i probly wont be able to use it. of course, the same rule can be applied to guitars i guess but yea.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by MESAexplorer
What amp are you playing out of for metal. I wouldn't expect any metal to come out of an amp made way back in the day. They were built to be clean as possible. Your fat strat should be able to get a metal tone through any amp that has a good amount of distortion.

with a good distortion pedal a vintage amp can do wonders

i can do nothing but agree on the les paul, too ovepriced for me, but they are really good

take a look on prs guitars too
Quote by deluxity

i can do nothing but agree on the les paul, too ovepriced for me, but they are really good

take a look on prs guitars too

Yeah, PRS SE's are very good and versatile for the price...if you get one you can probably get a wonderful tube amp to go with it. You may even get a Custom Carvin guitar like this one modeled after PRS's with the wide budget you've specified.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by deluxity

That is true for some amps. A lot of vintage amps are voiced for cleans though and using a distortion pedal will give you a thin sizzling distortion but not a percussive thick metal tone.

You really should try out some distortion pedals to in front of that amp to see which one gives you the best bang for your buck...or just the best bang.

A Les Paul would be a good choice, I'd go with Agile to keep it under $1000 and still high quality. Maybe a new neck and pickups for your squire; those things can end up being great guitars with a bit of money invested.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio