Bonjour!

Today, after football (I came 2nd ) me and my co-guitarist went to the local mom & pop music store, try a few things out and the like, so I figured SPAM THREAD FTW.

So we arrive at the store. My friend's after a new £300 ish cleaner oriented guitar, first one down is the Yamaha RGX520SZ:

Yamaha RGX520SZ:
We played this through an MG/Blues Deluxe copy. Good sustain, great action and it could be set even lower. The body is very comfortable, as is the bridge, and you could play it for hours. The neck's not to my taste, a bit wide and chunky like an SG, but it'd be nice for a PRS fan or Gibson lover in seeking of a more comfortable guitar. The inlay is cool, and it stayed in tune well. Downside - the pickups are woefully muddy. If you're willing to change them though, nice for the price. 7.5/10

MG250DFX:
Well, we all know about the MGs. Only reason we bothered with it is because the Blues Deluxe copy sorta thing was very low gain and my friend wanted to see how the higher gain was with it. It was good for this purpose and this alone IMO - a low volume practice amp. I've heard worse, though, frankly. 3/10

Shine Tube 30:
Now this was a nice amp, surprisingly! A 30w, 1x12, tweed covered valve amp, powered by two 12AX7 and two 6L6. Very nice cleans, almost identical to the Hot Rod Deluxe although slightly less warm and more jangly, and the dirt was also very similar to the first gain stage of the Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe - low gain, but usable, I preferred the gain on this though. At £200 it's a steal, great cleans and a great platform for introducing a better speaker and valves. No reverb. The cab was tweed, but a rather thin plywood - it withstood being sat on though. I'm gonna look into this one, seriously. 9/10.

Next, a Vintage Advance Tele.

Vintage AV2SB:
Neck humbucker, Bridge single. The neck pickup wasn't at all muddy, and the bridge was very pleasing. The blend knob allows you to gradually roll off one neck coil to make it single, and with this and the middle position on the Shine amp I got some very nice cleans, and on the neck rolled down it was a reasonable Frooshy "Snow" impression. Bridge was very nice for stuff like "Can't Stop". The gain on the Shien took it to a great Indie tone, all round nice guitar tonally. Unfortunately, the neck was too fat for my taste - rather like an SG neck but slightly flattened at the crown on the bottom. Action was also pathetically high, despit the nut being set low and the neck dead straight and with apparently nice finished frets. 8/10.

Then, we tried the big-ass Flextone for about 3 minutes before getting bored.

Line6 Flextone (Unsure of model but it's the 2x12 stereo beast):
Didn't get that much time of it, but it's definitely a lot better than the Spider. Not as warm as a nice valve amp like the Shine, but the Plexi setting was a relatively nice impression. The FX were also better than Spider but not that nice still. I wouldn't buy one, for the price you could get a good valve amp, but if you like versatility and have a tight budget, I'd recommend stepping up from the Vox/Cube/Spider and going for one of these, it's nicer in the mid-gain than the Cube although not quite so nice high-gain, and gets Vox-rivalling clean. Good advantage as you can never get a true clean with the Vox. 6/10

Then we depart. My friend's after the Vintage Tele, and me wanting that Shine amp. It shocked me, to be honest, as £200 for a 30w 1x12 valve amp is very competetive and it suits my styles very tightly, as well as my needs. Keep your eyes peeled for a thread in case I get it!

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Just buy it.

I know you want to .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Shine, Mr. C. I'll want to check those out. Hopefully, they'll be at the NAMM show in January. Are the Shines made in the UK?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I dunno where they are made, but all I know is I liked it. Afaik it's a very small to unknown brand, without a website, but they make a good deal of guitars and there's an eBay listing for a 10w version somewhere. But yeah, niceness. I could do with more gain but it gets a nice SRV-ish clean and I imagine that vaguely scooped tone boosted by a Screamer would make a nice SrV-ish OD...

Quote by riffhog
Thanks for the heads-up on the Shine, Mr. C. I'll want to check those out. Hopefully, they'll be at the NAMM show in January. Are the Shines made in the UK?

+1, I'd never even heard of Shine before this. I'd like to check 'em out too, even though I doubt they do the job better than a BJ. But then it's £150 more.

After a swift check of Google, Shine is the factory brand of the Saein plant in Korea where Epiphones are made. They also make some Ibanez and Peaveys. I'ma try and find a picture for yous.
Quote by MrCarrot
Ooh cool, whys that?

I need a Les Paul-style guitar. And my bassman cab should be done in about a week.
That amp definitely sounds worth the money, and I've always wondered about the Vintage Advance series guitars. An interesting read, MrCarrot
Quote by MrCarrot
Bonjour!

Today, after football (I came 2nd ) me and my co-guitarist went to the local mom & pop music store, try a few things out and the like, so I figured SPAM THREAD FTW.

Surely that means you lost? Most footy matches I've watched tend to only involve 2 teams...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually it could have been a tournament and his team finished second?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
There are no winners in soccer.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by steven seagull
Surely that means you lost? Most footy matches I've watched tend to only involve 2 teams...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's what i thought.

anyway, onto the more serious matters:

shine are korean, as mr c said. I didn't know they made amps, i knew they made guitars, though (but i haven't tried them).

Those vintage advances seem quite nice... i haven't tried that exact one, but i've tried the semi-hollow tele, the HSS strat, and the p90 strat (it's the coolest, very cool idea). i just wish they were slightly cheaper. Some are around the £300 mark, even a little more... if they were closer to £200, they'd be great. As it is, I'd prefer to fork out the extra £100 or so for an edwards, as you know you're getting a quality instrument- I've heard some dodgy things about QC on those vintage advances, and the only way to get decent prices on them here is to order online... I know that semi-hollow tele was going for £360 in a local shop... my edwards was only very slightly more than that...

Nice spam, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?