Page 1 of 2
for my English class, i have to annalyze a songs lyrics like poetry and i have to prove that song lyrics can be poetry, so i was wondering what song i should do? i have to talk about the meening of the song and what emotions i felt from it and stuff like that, so any help would be appreciated. and unfortunatly, no innaproopriate language or suggestive themes are allowed. Thanks
If you want songs with bizarre meanings look no further than some Stranglers material.

Golden Brown, Bear Cage, Ice, etc...

You won't be short of stuff to analyse trust me.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
Try "Schism" by Tool, there are some beautiful metaphors and the theme isn't obscene at all.
All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem is a great song that can mean a lot of different things.

Do you want stories, or political, or obscure?
Opeth?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by mulletman500
All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem is a great song that can mean a lot of different things.

Anything will do as long as i can figure out what its about. I was thinking about doing "I remember you"- Skid Row or Cemetery Gates by Pantera, but i was looking for some more ideas.
i would recommend something by dylan as he wrote his songs as poems and put music to them. Something like Subtaranian homesick blues would be a good un
Quote by seamonky616
i would recommend something by dylan as he wrote his songs as poems and put music to them. Something like Subtaranian homesick blues would be a good un

+15

Or as that guy sbove says, Willy Mason Oxygen, the lyrics should be easy enough to understand.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Is Cemetery Gates a cover of The Smiths? Something like, 'I dread a sunny date, and I'll meet you at the cemetery gates...'
Quote by mulletman500
Is Cemetery Gates a cover of The Smiths? Something like, 'I dread a sunny date, and I'll meet you at the cemetery gates...'

No, its an original song. "Beleive the word, i will unlock my door. and pass the cemetery gates."
Quote by mulletman500

No... its credited to the band (Pantera) TS, look into some Nirvana songs. A lot of them started as poetry, so they may be interesting. Also consider stuff by Pink Floyd like Time, Comfortably Numb, and Learning to Fly. Same goes for a lot of Rush songs like The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, and some others.

EDIT: Efb on Cemetary Gates.
Ok. Well, I'd do The Smiths' version anyway. Suffer Little Children is a great song about the Moors Murders and easy to analyse, although makes you cry. So, yeah. Do that, trust me.
why dont you pick one of your favorite songs that means the most to you? instead of asking what songs we like, pick one of your favs. you will be able to explain the emotion and feelings alot better that way.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Just pick a song that means something to you rather than ask UG?
But, seeing as you want answers:
"Everlong" by Foo Fighters. Very poetic, all the chicks love it too
"Today" by The Smashing Pumpkins. Sounds like a cheerful song, but when you read the lyrics you'll be amazed

Yeah that's all I can think of xD
Any Jimi Hendrix song
John Frusciante songs (The Past Recedes, Song to Sing When I'm Lonely)
Modest Mouse songs (Missed the Boat, Little Motel, Night on the Sun, Willful Suspension of Disbelief)
Radiohead (High and Dry, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Fake Plastic Trees)
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Past Recedes - John Frusciante
Quote by filthandfury
I only do that on MSN, and I get many complaints about it.

F&F will have cyber sex with you on MSN. He's a bit handsy though.

I have become..... METACARPI!!!!

I wish

Joeymaxx
Quote by zombiak
Try "Schism" by Tool, there are some beautiful metaphors and the theme isn't obscene at all.

yes, nearly anything tool! Their lyrics are incredible. There's also Lateralus to consider (the song). Fascinating.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Any Jimi Hendrix song
John Frusciante songs (The Past Recedes, Song to Sing When I'm Lonely)
Modest Mouse songs (Missed the Boat, Little Motel, Night on the Sun, Willful Suspension of Disbelief)
Radiohead (High and Dry, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Fake Plastic Trees)

I'd tap that ****
Seriously, I am a terrible singer, and at best intermediate guitarist. But I did a cover of it, posted it online and so far it's all been positive feedback. The lyrics though are just amazing.
do some joy division, like dead souls

or maybe some nine inch nails:the hand that feeds maybe or maybe even hurt, you could talk about it was origionally about junkie love, and then johnny cash used the same lyrics to talk about the end of his life
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Car underwater by armor for sleep.... Or Wheel by John Mayer is great.
Favorite Artists/Bands
1.John Mayer
2.Smashing Pumpkins
3.Moneta
Any recent Thrice or old Saosin should be ripe with stuff to analyze... Search for a thread similar to this and you'll find more answers since there's been one lately.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by mulletman500

great song about traveling. Or that's how I always looked at it.
check out Neutral Milk Hotel and Patti Smith for lyrics are not just lyrics but pure poetry

true love waits - radiohead

theres one line that will pretty much sum up the song which is "true love waits in haunted attics". I think its a great message because it implys that you can't be afraid to go for what you love even if its in a haunted attic. Happieness was never served on a silver platter, you have to go out and get it sometimes. Also, in the song he says "Im not living, Im just killing time" which also sends the message that if you dont go for what you love then you really will realize in time that your not living and that your just ticking away your time here on earth untill its too late and you find that you have lived your whole life in regret.
Some great responses, and yeah i didnt pick one of my fav songs cuz most of them have swearing and are about sex and drugs and crap (I listen to alot of AC/DC and Motley Crue)
i did "Vicarious" by Tool for mine last year. you should do some Dream Theater, like "Another Day", or "Stairway to Heaven".
Bob Dylan.

[/thread]
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by shintyboyiain
how about little wing?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

If not Little Wing, then:
- Bold As Love [A friend of mine had to write a peom for a class, and just stole these lyrics. Shameful, but he got an A+...]
- 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

Bunch of others. Can't go wrong with Jimi. Ever.
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Oh, and ALL of 2112.
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
I had the same assignment last year. I chose Time by Pink Floyd. When the teacher asked me to read the lyrics I thought to be most meaningful, I chose:

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
(Can't remember this line) >.>
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death"
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Page 1 of 2