http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_linda_stein_was_in_tune_with_rhythm_of_n.html

She was a louder-than-life New Yorker who muscled and charmed her way into the inner circle of some of the most powerful scenes in the city from music to real estate.

The rich and wild story of Linda Stein, the one-time manager of the seminal punk band The Ramones and ex-wife of the man who signed Madonna, parallels the last 30 years of this city's history.

In the mid-1970s, Stein was smack on the cutting edge, at a time when the whole city was moving in that direction.

Stein was around at the birth of CBGB, co-managing The Ramones with Danny Fields, while advising her then-husband, Seymour Stein, on the careers of key label bands from the Talking Heads to The Pretenders.

She was a fixture in clubs from Studio 54 to the Mudd Club and later a reliable voice in gossip columns, aided by her quick wit and fanciful way with a four-letter word.

By the late 1980s, Linda Stein had moved with the city's flow to find its new cutting edge - super-priced real estate.

She finessed herself into becoming one of the city's most powerful agents - the "Realtor to the Stars" as photographer Patrick McMullen famously called her.

She had the goods to prove it, landing mega-million-dollar apartments for Madonna, Sting, Billy Joel, Christie Brinkley, Bruce Willis, Jann Wenner, Michael Douglas, Steven Spielberg and old friend Elton John.

Elton became one of her first celebrity comrades in the '70s, though her list of big-name associations runs from musicians to moguls to movie stars (including ally Sylvester Stallone).

That's a long way from where Stein started, as Linda Adler, the daughter of a kosher caterer in Riverdale, the Bronx. By junior year of high school, she was adept at making connections that would pay off.

According to a lengthy New York magazine profile of Stein, her junior high prom date was none other than Elliot Roberts, who later managed Neil Young.

For a short time, Stein taught fifth grade in the city but nothing so routine could last long in her life. Soon enough she was married to Seymour Stein, an ambitious record promotion man, who went on to become the legendary force behind Sire Records, a hugely influential label in '70s and '80s rock and pop.

Stein had two daughters by her husband but by 1979 she was divorced.

It was then she found her new forte in real estate. City property had been undervalued for years but things were about to change. Stein was there right as the co-op sweep began.

Stein sold Wenner a townhouse that belonged to Perry Ellis for $4.2 million in 1987, and bagged Andrew Lloyd Webber a duplex in the Trump Tower for $6 million in 1988, according to the New York magazine profile.

Stein moved over to Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate in 1990, and soon sold Andy Warhol's old place for $3 million.

Yet her character was better known, and more beloved, than her commissions.

"She was the Auntie Mame of both rock 'n' roll and real estate," old friend Danny Fields said.

True, no one who knew her considered Stein soft and cuddly, but she had humor and edge to burn. Friends say she could shock and engage in equal measure, making her the kind of person everyone in this town recognizes - a real New Yorker.

It is very odd to me that so many people connected to the Ramones are now dead (and they didn't die of old age).
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
She seems to have lived a very stuttered life. It's sad that she couldn't have the privilege of dying peacefully.
That's horrible, I wouldn't wish that on anybody
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
and there was no apparent motive...****ing bastards, who beats a 62 year old lady to death
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
There were no signs of a break-in or robbery, and police said they had no motive or suspects.

That means it was done by someone she knew.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
I always thought she came across as being a f*king slut.

She abandoned the Ramones when they needed her most.

I have no remorse.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I have no remorse.

I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
That sucks, even if she did abandon the Ramones.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything