I usually play using headphones. I have a Zoom G2.1U, and I had no problems with that. But recently I got a Boss RC-2 looper, and I would like to use that (later on than the Zoom). But the problem is, the RC-2 output is mono, so if I plug my headphones into it, it won't even turn on properly. I got past that by using a patch cable to put it into a tuner, and headphones into the tuner output (or alternatively RC-2 -> Behringer EQ -> headphones), but it's still mono so I only hear it from one side. So I went to a guitar shop and asked if they had an adapter I could use. I eventually got parts for the adapter (3.5mm female jack and 6.3mm female jack) and a short wire, but I'm not exactly sure what I should solder and where. I found this, but I'm not sure which is "sleeve", and also there are 2 "tips" on both the jacks. Will they still work? I can post pics if I need to.

Thank you.
Thanks for the pictures, but I think I have two stereo jacks - they both have 2 "hot's". Can I just hook them all together with 1 wire?
Quote by Fama
Thanks for the pictures, but I think I have two stereo jacks - they both have 2 "hot's". Can I just hook them all together with 1 wire?
NO.

What you just described will short the signal to ground when you connect the mono plug into the adapter you're making.

Why not just buy an adapter, for $3 ?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062464&cp=&sr=1&origkw=stereo+to+mono+adapter&kw=stereo+to+mono+adapter&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Why not just buy an adapter, for $3 ?

Does Radioshack ship $3 orders to Finland? I went to a music shop - they didn't have any, so they directed me to an electronics shop. They didn't have any either, so they just sold me the parts.
My keyboard is stereo which means when you plug it using a normal mono lead into the guitar amp, its very low in noise and everything. If i used those two jacks like that, would it work?

ie...

Keyboard(stereojack)------------(stereolead)------------(2jacks,stereo-to-mono)---------(monolead)--------------guitaramp(monojack)
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Quote by Invader Jim
Actually, you can hook all the hots together, as long as the hots aren't also connected to the sleeves (grounds).
No, you can't.

If the "ring" connection of a stereo jack with a mono cable plugged in is connected to the other hots, it WILL connect to the sleeves through the mono cable.

The "tip" and "ring" connections of the headphone jack get connected together.

They connect ONLY to the "tip" connection of the jack that will have the mono cable plugged into it. The "ring" connection must not be connected to anything.

The sleeve connections are, of course, connected together.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by Fama
Are guitar patch cables mono?
Yes.

Mono:

Has only "tip" and "sleeve" connections

Stereo:

Note the "ring" connection between the tip and sleeve.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
SO THAT'S WHY MY ADAPTER DIDN'T WORK! I bought stereo, instead of mono.. :-/
SomeoneYouKnew: Dude, the stereo jack will just touch 2 leads (sleeve and ring) onto the sleeve of a mono jack, and since the tip and ring leads aren't connected together, it will work. I'm tellin' ya, man. I've done it.
I think I have 2 mono jacks, but I'm currently charging batteries for my digital camera to take pictures.
Quote by Invader Jim
SomeoneYouKnew: Dude, the stereo jack will just touch 2 leads (sleeve and ring) onto the sleeve of a mono jack, and since the tip and ring leads aren't connected together, it will work. I'm tellin' ya, man. I've done it.
I know what you're THINKING. but what you previously SAID is quite different.

The ring and sleeve connection of a stereo jack will get connected together through the sleeve portion of the mono plug. So this statement you previously made is wrong:
Quote by Invader Jim
Actually, you can hook all the hots together, as long as the hots aren't also connected to the sleeves (grounds).
You lableled ring connection of the stereo jack as one of the "hots". You can't connect all 4 "hot" connections of the two stereo jacks together. When you insert a mono plug into the stereo jack, IT will connect the ring connection of that jack to the sleeve. Unless someone is aware of this problem, they will assume you mean all 4 of the connections you labeled as hot. If they connect all 4 together, it will NOT work.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I'll try to get around to taking pics tomorrow (well technically today) and I'll be going shopping for better parts on wednesday (the pics are to confirm both jacks being mono).
Ok, so I finally got the pictures. The colors are a bit funny (lightning was messed up), but you get the picture.

3.5mm jack

6.3mm jack

So, they both are mono/stereo? And I need to get a mono/stereo 3.5mm/6.3mm jack?

(Recap: I want Zoom G2.1U -> Boss RC-2 -> Headphones)
Quote by Fama
...So, they both are mono/stereo? And I need to get a mono/stereo 3.5mm/6.3mm jack?

(Recap: I want Zoom G2.1U -> Boss RC-2 -> Headphones)
They both appear to be stereo.

I'll assume you want the headphones to plug into the 3.5 mm jack and the RC-2 will connect via the 6.3 mm jack?

If that's the case, the two shorter tabs on the 3.5 will be connected together. That will be the "hot" for both sides of your headphones. The longer teminal will be the ground.

On the 6.3, you need to determine which ONE of the two short terminals is connected to the tip. You could plug a cable into it, and measure resistance from the tip of the loose end of the cable to each of the short tabs. The one that shows a low resistance it the one you will use.

IF you don' have a multimeter:

1 - connect the wire from the ground of the 3.5 to the ground of the 6.3

2 - leave the wire that's connected to both hots on the 3.5 not connected yet.

3 - plug your headphones into the 3.5

4 - connect the RC-2 to the 6.3 and turn it on.

5 - take the loose wire and touch it to the short terminals of the 6.3, ONE AT A TIME.

6 - the one that produces sound in the phones is the one and only one you want to connect to.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Well, it's completed now (I think). It works too, kinda. We found out our soldering iron was far too big, so my dad took it to a shop to get soldered. The problem is, that while I do hear sound from the RC-2 from both sides of the headphones, it's damn silent. I can barely make it out at all even with headphones. Any idea what might be causing it?

If I use the adaptor as Zoom G2 -> adaptor -> headphones, it works like it should.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Well, it's completed now (I think). It works too, kinda. We found out our soldering iron was far too big, so my dad took it to a shop to get soldered. The problem is, that while I do hear sound from the RC-2 from both sides of the headphones, it's damn silent. I can barely make it out at all even with headphones. Any idea what might be causing it?

If I use the adaptor as Zoom G2 -> adaptor -> headphones, it works like it should.

If the adapter works with the Zoom but not with the RC-2, it sounds like the RC-2 isn't capable of driving the headphones properly. Either the signal is too weak, or the output wasn't designed to drive a low impedance load like headphones.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
If the adapter works with the Zoom but not with the RC-2, it sounds like the RC-2 isn't capable of driving the headphones properly. Either the signal is too weak, or the output wasn't designed to drive a low impedance load like headphones.

I think it's the adapter. If I plug it RC-2 -> EQ -> Headphones, I can hear it just fine (albeit only on one side). If I use the adapter after the EQ, I can't hear anything.

Edit: Maybe the signal gets too weak when it's split to both left and right or something?

Edit 2: Goddammit, I think it's the shop's fault. I just plugged it again as RC-2 -> adapter -> headphones, and I get nothing. No sound at all. Fiddle around with the wires, and only putting the headphone plug half in -> good sound on 1 side, fully in -> good sound on both sides. I think there might have been a problem with the soldering. Well, I hope it works now.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Nov 14, 2007,
But you use the same adapter with the Zoom and it works fine there?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
But you use the same adapter with the Zoom and it works fine there?

It's definitely a problem with the soldering. Just put in the Zoom's AC adapter, and suddenly volume drops. I touch the adapter, and it works ok again. I think there's a connection problem somewhere in the adapter or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362