I have a nice guitar combo amp, a Crate VTX200S, which is a all SS 2x12 140W combo amp. This amp can control a cab and pump out 200W when it does. Instead of buying a brand new bass amp, was thinking I can simply buy a bass cab and hook it up to this guitar combo amp, which should disable the built-in speakers and pump a full 200W to the bass cab.

I know it's unsafe to play bass through guitar speakers, but this would be through a guitar head to bass speakers, so I think it's safe. Any thoughts on if it's safe or if it would sound decent?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Yes
Lemmy, and many other old bassists, used to do it.
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
umm it is safe to run a bass through a guitar head into a bass cab, it won't sound great but it'll work.

as for your specific question, (i assume you're using a speaker output) when you plug a cab into your amp it doesn't disable the speakers in the combo it keeps them running and sends signal to the new cab giving you 200watts of power, so i'd say in your case it's not safe to do this because you're still going to be running your bass through a guitar speaker at one point.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Off-The-Heazay
Yes
Lemmy, and many other old bassists, used to do it.

And look how well that turned out for Lemmy .

If you want your bass to sound like a bass, don't do it.
If it doesn't disable to built-in speakers, then it's a moot point as I wont do it.

Why would it sound different? Don't the speakers dictate the frequency range using the clean channel on my amp?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
I've used a guitar combo to play my bass...if you use your settings right (lots of bass...take out treble, use the mids to what you want) it sounds fine!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Staz80
If it doesn't disable to built-in speakers, then it's a moot point as I wont do it.

Why would it sound different? Don't the speakers dictate the frequency range using the clean channel on my amp?

The parts and electronics of the head are arranged for higher frequencies of guitar...not bass. Your bass won't damage anything, but it will take away lots of bottom-end.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.