Quick question. Does anyone know how to block a specific user account from accessing the internet on Windows XP? I'm trying to find a way to block a child's account from accessing the internet. Thanks for any help.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Block TCP port 80 in the windows firewall. I don't know if it's profile specific but that'll certainly take care of it.

Also, I believe that Internet Explorer has some level of password protection. Go to tools, internet options, and dig around a little.
Ah but wouldn't blocking a port knock out all user connections? There should be a way to specify which account I want though. I don't use IE but I'll set it up for that user account until I can find a way to block the internet completely.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

How computer literate is the child in question
Quote by clapton-floyd
I don't believe in free will, I believe in Rohypnol.
Quote by The Undead

A good question, because you can use NetNanny or SurfPatrol.
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Ah but wouldn't blocking a port knock out all user connections? There should be a way to specify which account I want though. I don't use IE but I'll set it up for that user account until I can find a way to block the internet completely.

Try it. I don't use the windows firewall so I don't know if the settings are profile specific or not.

You could probably do it with the group policy snap in if you have XP pro...
hey if you're kid goes on the internet, you never have to have that sex talk with him.... just sayin'...
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by The Undead

They can use it but doesn't know how to get around certain things. So I guess it would be fair.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
A good question, because you can use NetNanny or SurfPatrol.

No the parent wants the connection completely dead for the account not just parental control type apps. Thanks for the help though.

Quote by denizenz
Try it. I don't use the windows firewall so I don't know if the settings are profile specific or not.

You could probably do it with the group policy snap in if you have XP pro...

I don't know if they have XP Pro but I'll give it a try tonight. I'm testing everything on my pc before I do it though.

Quote by Chikitty_China
hey if you're kid goes on the internet, you never have to have that sex talk with him.... just sayin'...

Not my kid lol. I'm dreading that day once I become a parent lol.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
No the parent wants the connection completely dead for the account not just parental control type apps. Thanks for the help though.

You're welcome mate I don't suppose they have a router or anything do they? You can have it turn the internet on or off depending on times. There must be one specially made for windows XP that does it via account.

I did find this for you though http://forums.techguy.org/networking/596244-disable-internet-access-other-users.html

That "SteadyState" sounds quite promising.
Blocking the internet?

Only in China, surely! How about teaching the child how to browse safely?

Moderation > Exclusion.

I thank you.
Quote by Jackolas
Blocking the internet?

Moderation > Exclusion.

I thank you.

not his kid, reading > jumping to conclusions
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You're welcome mate I don't suppose they have a router or anything do they? You can have it turn the internet on or off depending on times. There must be one specially made for windows XP that does it via account.

I did find this for you though http://forums.techguy.org/networking/596244-disable-internet-access-other-users.html

That "SteadyState" sounds quite promising.

Thanks a billion for the link. I'm going through the programs now and I am looking at Steady State. I figure I'll try a couple of them out and see which one is more user friendly then refer it. Steady State does seem to be the best bet right now.

Quote by Jackolas
Blocking the internet?

Moderation > Exclusion.

I thank you.

Yep not my kid so not my place to do anything about it lol.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem