So, I posted a Big Star thread in the CR forum a while back but, surprisingly, there was little response I'm sure they will be more appreciated here.

Anyway, are there any Big Star fans here? Over the last year, they have become one of my favourite bands, despite not having a huge discography. Third/Sister Lovers, 1# Record and Radio City are some of the greatest albums of all time, IMO. They are hugely underrated, IMO, and were hugely influential to indie and alternative music in general.

So, fill the thread with your own Big Star related musings; wether it be your favourite album or song or Chris Bell and Alex Chilton's solo material or w/e.

as cliche as it is, i really love thirteen. anyone that can cover that song well gets my respect.
Indeed; "Thirteen" is a deceptively hard song to cover. KOLS and Elliott Smith do great versions, though.
Quote by uhh_me?
as cliche as it is, i really love thirteen. anyone that can cover that song well gets my respect.

Great song.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
I've heard a lot about them, I've just never actually listened to them.

...and by the way; I prefer bands with a smaller discographies. It makes you becaome an expert much faster.
Quote by European Son

...and by the way; I prefer bands with a smaller discographies. It makes you becaome an expert much faster.

Haha, true.

If you're looking for some songs to get you started, check out:

Ballad of el Goodo
Thirteen
In The Street
O My Soul
I'm in Love With a Girl
September Gurls
Kizza Me
Thank You Friends
Kangaroo
are you talking about thirteen from thumbsucker's soundtrack?
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by sponj
are you talking about thirteen from thumbsucker's soundtrack?

yeah, that's the ES cover.
I have Third/Sisters Lovers, brilliant album, some of the songs are just gorgeous - Nighttime and Big Black Car in particular. I've heard some songs from #1 Record/Radio City, some great pop songwriting

So yeah, great group
as necessary as they are gorgeous. i like them for their music, and love them for their influence.
i come bearing bad news. Jim Dickinson died. quite a loss, not only to the Big Star legacy, but also to music in general.

but hey, Big Star. pretty amazing band, eh?
I have their first two albums, and they're pretty great. I'll probably get Third eventually.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by uhh_me?
i come bearing bad news. Jim Dickinson died. quite a loss, not only to the Big Star legacy, but also to music in general.

but hey, Big Star. pretty amazing band, eh?

wow, I hadn't heard. I'm not aware of anything he produced outside of Third and stuff by the Replacements, but it sucks regardless. The production on Third/Sister Lovers is simply incredible.
he played on Dylan's Time Out of Mind, as well as doing the piano part on The Stone's "Wild Horses"
for how well acclaimed they are I only discovered them about a week ago. Can't believe it took me that long.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
This is so damn horrible. Such an incredible talent gone Third/Sisters Lovers is getting a few full listenings tonight