Well I really want to be able to play guitar similarly to Paul Gilbert, I can already play a few Mr Big songs (Stay Together, Just Take My Heart, Green Tinted Sixties Mind) and some of his solo records (Down To Mexico, Amy Is Amazing, I Like Rock) but what I'd like to know is what I'd need to perfect to become more like him, and tips on getting there. Links to vids would help too :-) thanks :-)
Basically, work on your super-fast alternative picking. He doesn't tend to use much sweeping, so you should be fine there.
you would probably need to pracatice string skipping a lot and i always had trouble when he combines legato and picking when playing fast
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Just google, "Paul Gilbert Techniques, warmups" And other such things. I've come across a few sites that shows how he practiced.

To examine the tone of the sphincter? What the hell is it, a tuning fork?
*String Skipping (that also incorporates legato)

*Licks that combine legato and alt picking (EG- The first lick in the You Kids solo)

*Full on freny of alt picking

Yeah, check out his instructional vids, he has several, and you can find parts of them on youtube. Also, he used to do a column for Total Guitar magazine, "Paul Gilbert's School of Shred". If you could get your hands on those issuses that would help, and a few of them have videos.

Also, he does some stuff for Guitar Techniques magazine, some of the videos get posted by users on the racer x forums.
Does Paul rest on his bridge with his picking hand ?
I can't see it clearly in the video's.