well this kid was tellin me a emg 89 is all out BETTER then the 81.

I've seen people talking about them, but i've never heard one. So what does the 89 sound like, anything like the 81?

thankss
nothing like the 81, its mainly for the neck position. Definatly better for cleans and imo the best emg for cleans.
Supposedly a 85 in HB mode and a S(A) i SC mode.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Havent used one, but I know that you can switch it from being a humbucker and a single coil which is a pretty nice ass feature.. uses Alnico magnets... the single coil is stacked, but its more compared to the 85.. as far as output and tone... fatness ect, I would definitely consider it for a neck pickup.
I have a Schecter Hellraiser that came with the normal factory 85/81 pup set, but I replaced the 85 with an 89. In humbucker mode, I really didn't notice a difference between the 85 and the new 89. But it's nice to be able to switch to single coil mode for a better clean, which is the main reason I did it.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
I have a Schecter Hellraiser that came with the normal factory 85/81 pup set, but I replaced the 85 with an 89. In humbucker mode, I really didn't notice a difference between the 85 and the new 89. But it's nice to be able to switch to single coil mode for a better clean, which is the main reason I did it.

+1 same thing i did (diff guitar though, not like it matters)

+1 to guy above him too

emg 85 with single coil abilities i use it alot
Quote by its been said
+1 same thing i did (diff guitar though, not like it matters)

+1 to guy above him too

emg 85 with single coil abilities i use it alot

Did the same aswell, humbucker is good for that fat tone or slightly crunchy stuff. Single coil is very clean and nice
Less output on the 89 than an 81. Not a whole lot but a little. But a cleaner sounding pickup.
this is exactly why people think emgs sound so bad, because everyone wants to use that harsh 81 and wonder why they cant get a clean worth a damn. 85 or 89 in the bridge will give you a more balanced, fatter, and MUSICAL tone. theyre more soulful sounding than the 81 for sure.
Quote by Tackleberry
Less output on the 89 than an 81. Not a whole lot but a little. But a cleaner sounding pickup.

That's actually not true. The EMG 85 and 89 have more measurable output than the 81, but they sound more balanced than the 81, and therefore the output isn't as "harsh" as it is with the 81.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?