Poll: Can they legally search you on the spot?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can they legally search you on the spot?
Yes
39 58%
No
7 10%
Different from school to school/state-state
21 31%
Voters: 67.
Personally I think it's wrong, but since 9/10 kids are out of their minds these days, it has become a necessity.

More parents need to smack their children.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Personally I think it's wrong, but since 9/10 kids are out of their minds these days, it has become a necessity.

More parents need to smack their children.

I second this.
There was a Supreme Court case about that, some girl got caught smoking so they searched her purse and found some pot, and she sued the school over her Fourth Amendment rights. New Jersey vs. TLO or something, I don't pay attention in Civics. So yes, they can.
it depends on the circumstances, jst for the fun of it, then no. But if they had reason to check your bag then yes.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Yes they can, but they have to have a reason... they can't just randomly search your locker, but they can if for example, you're suspected to be smoking pot or something
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I'm not certain about searching bags, pockets and the like, I'd say the law surrounding that may vary, but locker searches would be entirely legal, seeing as the locker is school property.
Contraband.*

And you misused the word anyway.

Yes, they can search you.
with probable cause they are allowed to check you. same with like lockers and stuff they cant just search it but if a drug dog smells something then they are allowed to check it.
Yes to both. All of the public schools in the area are allowed to by law, and most all of the private schools in my area don't allow you to carry backpacks around other than to and from school.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Schools in the UK do...But that only came in one or two months ago when some kid got stabbed in London...
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
All these threads about your basic rights in school keep popping up.

Just give up fellas, if you're going to elementary, middle, or high school, you have no rights.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Well, at my school they can do random searches of lockers, backbacks, and cars. Most of the students think it violates our rights, but the school says some law that allows the school to act as a legal guardian in the absence of parents or legal guardians gives them the right to search us without a warrant or reasonable suspicion. I have no idea if this law is just massachusetts or all of the US, so I don't know whether it's legal where you live.
Quote by onebetter
Well, at my school they can do random searches of lockers, backbacks, and cars. Most of the students think it violates our rights, but the school says some law that allows the school to act as a legal guardian in the absence of parents or legal guardians gives them the right to search us without a warrant or reasonable suspicion. I have no idea if this law is just massachusetts or all of the US, so I don't know whether it's legal where you live.

Cars? Yikes.
I forgot to read the rest of it and voted no because I thought you meant a proper search.
I'm pretty sure they're allowed to search your bag. They do in my school anyway, every now and then.
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
Yes they can.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
If it's a private school, they can do essentially anything they want as long as you sign to it. I've been out of the public school system for a while, so I don't know what it's like now (For the US).
Quote by XtremeSkater69
"AW YEA BITCH BAWLS IN DA ASS" while his homies in the background are like, "YEA ANTOINE FREAK DAT BITCH!!!!!"

I wanna be Jackie Onassis
I wanna wear a pair of dark sunglasses
I wanna be Jackie oh oh OH OH PLEASE DON'T DIE
Quote by andyd93
Schools in the UK do...But that only came in one or two months ago when some kid got stabbed in London...

Wrong.
In the UK, School's can search your bag, by law, but cannot search your person. They can ask you to turn out your pockets etc etc.
My school had to do a search on my class because they lost two scalples.
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
Quote by IcePh0enix
Yupperz.

Teeheehee I just made the coolest post in this thread.

If you hadn't said that it might have been true.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
At my school our Science teacher is also a Special Constable so whenever there is a drugs search or something the teachers ask him to do it.
Im not sure if it is a legal requirement or if its just to save time and stuff.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Quote by seek_&_destroy
Yes they can, but they have to have a reason... they can't just randomly search your locker,

Yes, they can.
<Han> I love Hitler