i played my acoustic for around 7 hours yesterday and i'm having trouble switching frets easily maybe the problem is that my finger tip hurts so much its still aching today. I saw in a video this guy used some kind of white bandage thing wrapped around his finger what is that?

and anything that can help increase my fretting speed is appreciated.
practice practice practice. and eventually your fingers will be incredibly hard it wont make a **** of difference.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
won't my finger bleed if i keep playing whenever i press a string like the doctor that snapped my finger when i use to get my blood tested its like a feeling where my finger tip feels like its not there but i feel pain.
Uhm, it might bleed... and you might get blisters, but after awhile you don't anymore, so either suck it up for awhile, or still play often, just stop for a day before the blister breaks open.
have you just started playing?

and you played your guitar for 7 hours?
Quote by jimtaka
have you just started playing?

and you played your guitar for 7 hours?

Been there, you're doing fine. Never a thing as too much practice, IMO. Of course, there's always time for rest, too, but I'm sure you've got the right idea.

fretting speed? Practice.

worked fingers? Comes with the territory. Even now for a guy like me, it'll still wear you out if you get into it enough. Slightly off topic, but, if I play my 7 string electric dean all day, my hands won't even let me jam the next day unless it's back to the 6 string neck profile...

You're doing fine, if you can play an acoustic and get the feel for that, you'll soon be able to play on nearly any other guitar. So yeah, i'll say that p-word again if you don't mind; Practice, followed by practice, and then some.
Last edited by placebic at Nov 1, 2007,
Couple things that might help, one is ghs Fast-Fret, it helps your fingers slide without taking off alot of skin. Anouther thing is if your fingertips are sweaty or you just washed your hands, took a shower, did dishes, etc your skin is super saturated and weak. So try not to play then untill you hands dry out. But yeh it takes 3-4 months of playing 2-3 + hours a day to get good calluses that dont ever go away.
some1 needs to make an official "My hand hurts from playing guitar" thread
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Above all, don't press so hard! Yes, you have to build callouses, but at the same time, remember the function of the left hand, you are just shortening the strings against the fret. Try it, press down on a fret as lighty as possible to get a tone when striking the string, then as an experiment, press down as hard as you can and strike the string again. You will see that the sound of the note remains the same. So, why waste all the energy pressing so hard? hope that helps!
Michael Ferris
ferrisguitar.com
If your finger hurts when your not playing guitar but are just using your hand for everyday stuff, you might've overworked it. In that case you should stop playing untill it doesn't hurt all the time anymore. If you keep straining it when it's overworked you can get permant pain that makes it among other things impossible to play guitar. If not, then just keep practicing.
IF you fingers hurt alot then just play for 20 minutets a day. thats it. eventually you will build calluses and play as fast and as long you want. once you do go calluses practise your soloing techniques like string bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, all of that and put it into a random solo. You will gradually increase your speed. Hope i helped.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by MetallicGod07
IF you fingers hurt alot then just play for 20 minutets a day. thats it. eventually you will build calluses and play as fast and as long you want. once you do go calluses practise your soloing techniques like string bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, all of that and put it into a random solo. You will gradually increase your speed. Hope i helped.
Dont play so long. that does nothing. just practice everyday untill your ready.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.