http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=71eIdb3KVdc

anyone do this or any other finger exercises not using the guitar to improve finger dexterity? does it work?

just wondering cos I been doing it fer a coupla days.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
i dont see why it wouldn't work, it teaches your brain to have alot more control over your fingers. and it also teaches them to move independantly from each other. Which is very helpful for the pink and ring finger as those ****ers seem to follow each other around!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
Which is very helpful for the pink and ring finger as those ****ers seem to follow each other around!
you're right there, little anarchists!
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
I do that... never thought of it as being a guitar exercise though!
Another one I've been told is to take your hand (this is mostly used for fingerpicking but it can benefit your fretting hand just as much in my opinion) and "walk" it across a table like a spider.

Kind of hard to explain but I'll try -
1) Put your hand on the table as if you're holding a computer mouse.
2) Move your index and ring fingers forward, but keep the other two where they are.
3) Move your middle finger and pinkie forward to meet them
4) Repeat - try not to move the wrong fingers

EDIT: For the coin one, see http://www.metacafe.com/watch/327336/how_to_roll_a_coin_across_your_knuckles/
It's a good simple explanation
Quote by ldnovelo
id love to be a ble to do that
I've been practicing on an off for 3 days an it already looks pretty good. I think having played the guitar for 6 years has helped though.

TND, that was one of the first exercises my guitar teacher taught me but I do it on the fretboard, call it the crab

you start off on the high E and then put your index and ring fingers onto B, then your pinkie and middle onto G etc... then come back when you get to the bottom E. it's a good un!
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1