...is a jackass.

Okay that may be a bit exagerated, so let me start from the beginning.
We're a relatively new band, and after firing our old bassist for not showing up, we got a new one. But know we've written a song with him (which he wrote the riff for, and it's really pointlessly simple) and it sounded kinda punk-metal, he's now like "OK so we need a band name that fits out punk-metal sound" and I was like "Uh...this is like one song...and I'd rather stretch outside of boundarys, cause like all of our influences together were meant to make this sound original" and the drummer back me up (we both listen to everything from Radiohead to like heavy metal), but the bassist is like "Ok well we need a name that'll suit our sound though, and that sound's punk metal" and I was about to say "but you're basing that on one song..." but I stopped cause I didn't want a fight.

Anyway he suggested a really ****ty name and is now writing like really generic lyrics and stuff even though no-one agrees. He also always keeps his OD pedal up full so his bass turns to mush and f*cks up the sound.

So what should we do? Should we talk to him or try and change him slowly or just fire him? We don't really wanna do that though cause we're probably gonna have to fire our singer too so we don't really want the band to fall apart.

Any help?

Thanks.

PS thanks for listening to the rant
Well he seems like a one-minded ass!! I'd talk to him. Tell him that he's not the band leader and it's the group that makes the decisions not him.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Your quote in your sig is very appropriate.

Have you tried convincing him that this is a group band, not HIS band? That sounds like the issue.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

dude. bands fight. that's just gonna happen. if they dont fight then nothing gets out on the table and everyone has **** built up and someone is gonna get shot! say what you have to say to him and if he stays then at least you know you got someone thats in it for the long haul. if not. sounds like you need a new bassist
Wait, he's being like that, and he's the new guy? Who does this guy think he is?

...I don't have a punchline.

Fire his candy ass.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by Saintsatan
Just fire him. Or leave and form a new band.

I wouldn't leave cause I get on well with the drummer and rhythm guitarist, and I mean I don't want him to feel like this, but technically our bassist is just a "hired gun" cause we quickly needed a replacement and he kinda...stayed.

But I dunno, I've got band practice tomorrow so me and the drummer are gonna talk to him.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
I wouldn't leave cause I get on well with the drummer and rhythm guitarist, and I mean I don't want him to feel like this, but technically our bassist is just a "hired gun" cause we quickly needed a replacement and he kinda...stayed.

But I dunno, I've got band practice tomorrow so me and the drummer are gonna talk to him.

I love the way you put that... Just make him understand it's not his band.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

well it seems as though hes got LSD (Lead Singers Disease (except hes a bassist)) so you should try talking call an infamous "band meeting" and have a chat and tell him that if he won't chill then he's losing his job
try to tell him that it's up to the whole band to make decisions like that and if he keeps it up kick him out....even if it means having to spend a while finding someone new....it's better to have people you like and get along with most of the time with than to just get someone who's going to sabotage the band....that would just ruin it later because you'll get completely sick of him eventually
hmmm.....

Personally, I'd just kill him, but a band meeting might be a more reasonable idea.
Right Ok the drummer wasn't there so we didn't do much anyway but he's still being a bit of a dick. However we had to fire our singer first so I didn't really have time to pick a fight

I meant to mention before but the other problem is he thinks too much in the realm of Killswitch Engage. Every guitar must be in Drop C. The riffs must be intricate but not too hard. Any "soft" riffs or sections must either be used as instrumentals or little interlude bits...

So yeah, next week when we're a "full" band again we'll talk to him. I'll update after that.
He sounds bossy..trust me. It won't end well. I would tell him to back off a bit especially since he's the new guy. In my last band we had the same problem where we let one member start making decisions, ego went to his head and ended up starting a huge argument in my house where we practice, cursing and yelling, and that was the end of the band. Basically what I'm saying is, just nip that behavior of his before it turns bad. Because next thing you know you'll find him telling band members what to play to make the music sound the way he wants.