Page 1 of 3
Me being 17, I will go to college next year so i have been doing some research on the subject and have come off with some very troubling details. Apparently public school systems have a right to "veto" white kids for "minority" students in order to get their quota's up for admission.

For instance:

Lets assume that I have applied for UNC at Chappel Hill (North Carolina). For the sake of simplicity let us say that UNC chooses 10,000 students per year for admission. If I end up at the very bottom of that list. And they're are 50,000 applications. If a black kid and I have the same exact qualifications for entrance, the black kid will get picked over me.

Discuss
*shrugs* My friend put that he's black on his applications so he could get through.
Oh noes!
its some BS government act.

its stupid. there is no way any student will have the EXACT same GPA, extra curricular activities, etc.

and if they do, then pull a name out of a hat. hats solve everything.
Unfortunatly this is one of the hottest fads in business and education, taking on a person from a minority in order the appear more egalitarian.
It's bull**** really, merit should totally determine these things.
thats awful, equality should work both ways

i mean id be pissed if i was black n a white kid gt vetoed, but then they can claim racism,

its all about the money son
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
It happens in everything in modern society to try and make companies/goverments etc. seem multi-culturally acceptable.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by xxtrigger
*shrugs* My friend put that he's black on his applications so he could get through.

Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
im half indian half english, so i put that down, and technically im an ethnic minority.

Yay for me !
websters definition of token:

Quote by jakerickman9208

Lets assume that I have applied for UNC at Chappel Hill (North Carolina). For the sake of simplicity let us say that UNC chooses 10,000 students per year for admission. If I end up at the very bottom of that list. And they're are 50,000 applications. If a black kid and I have the same exact qualifications for entrance, the black kid will get picked over me.

Discuss
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
It's called "Affirmative Action"...and there's really no need for it.

Edit:sorry, I hadn't realized that I forgot the all-important "no" in that sentence
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by iplayfenders66 at Nov 1, 2007,
^^ why do you think there is a need?

please state your reasoning.

i think its another form of racism.

and racism =/= equality.
^Another form of racism? There is just one.

And there is a need for it because there is a ridiculous gap in pretty much every aspect of quality of life between black and white people.

Quote by jakerickman9208
Me being 17, I will go to college next year so i have been doing some research on the subject and have come off with some very troubling details. Apparently public school systems have a right to "veto" white kids for "minority" students in order to get their quota's up for admission.

For instance:

Discuss

If I was a uni admissions officer, that would be enough to stop me taking you.

Why do you care? If you've got the exact same qualifications then there's no way of picking between you anyway. This one addresses a serious social problem. They aren't picking underqualified black kids so there's no real issue.

I'm not particularly in favour of or against AA. But I do see it as a fairly acceptable and decent way of trying to make society slightly less unequal.

EDIT\/: Possibly a slight exaggeration but essentially true.
Last edited by Meths at Nov 1, 2007,
So? Put down "black" on your application.

You can claim to be anything genetically. Asian. Mexican.

You are as genetically different from your 3rd or 4th cousin as you are some random black guy.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

i live in an upper class white neighborhood and am white before you yell at me.
So you know strict quotas were deemed illegal, for instance a school just cant go "We need 1,000 black kids" and go however low they need to to meet their quota.
But in terms of perhaps picking the black kid with the same qualifications over the white kid they can. If you think about it in terms of economics i works out more reasonably. A black is much more likely to come from a poorer family and have a much worse education (due to neighborhood family life etc.) and for him to get to the same place you are, was a much harder thing to do.
Now on the other hand i agree that yeah, it is unfair. But think about how many spots that college is giving up to minorities, that college is still probably white. If you don't get in its not because of the black kid its because there were 2,000 other white kids better than you.

If you really have a problem with quotas, apply to a private school. they don't need to beg for gov't funding so they aren't afraid of admitting by qualifications alone.
Quote by xxtrigger

That's awesome.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of this affirmative action stuff, or whatever they're calling it these days.
Quote by Meths

And there is a need for it because there is a ridiculous gap in pretty much every aspect of quality of life between black and white people.

Why do you care? If you've got the exact same qualifications then there's no way of picking between you anyway. This one addresses a serious social problem. They aren't picking underqualified black kids so there's no real issue.

I'm not particularly in favour of or against AA. But I do see it as a fairly acceptable and decent way of trying to make society slightly less unequal.

i agree w/ this guy
Yes, our society has many issues. No, we don't care.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
well it's not a government act its just a policy that some schools have instated for themselves. but it's really not that prominent these days. there was a supreme court decision about 5 or 6 years ago that said that race alone can't determine student admittance. it has to be "a factor among others."

still i don't think it's a great policy, but don't worry about it.
Quote by Meths

The reason there is a gap is because they bring it upon their selves
I don't think it's a bad idea... but I wonder whether it really attains its fixed goal of helping defavorised youth and isn't just about ethnicity..

Edit:I hope the guy above me is joking...
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by jakerickman9208

You're so retarded. You have no worries about AA because there is no way in hell any guy you ever meet could possibly be as stupid as you.
Its to be more multicultural. Although most of the arabic/indian kids at my college just hang around in a big group choosing not to talk to any white kids. Apparently this is multiculturism.
Quote by StonaLemons
Its to be more multicultural. Although most of the arabic/indian kids at my college just hang around in a big group choosing not to talk to any white kids. Apparently this is multiculturism.

Multiculturalism.*

That's because kids of a similar cultural background have more in common and are more likely to be friends.
Quote by jakerickman9208

what the **** are you talking about? after hundreds of years of slavery followed by over a hundred years of social oppression, you expect african americans to just jump right into the upperclass. that's just ignorant.
Quote by jakerickman9208

Are you serious? You think a kid just being born into a bad neighborhood is him bringing it upon himself? I'm sure if you were born in the middle of a sh*thole it'd be perfectly easy for you to go those A's. The reason there is a gap is just because what a majority of minorities are born into. If they were born into a rich neighborhood they'd probably act/think the same way you do.
Quote by Meths

You're so retarded. You have no worries about AA because there is no way in hell any guy you ever meet could possibly be as stupid as you.

Ha ha ha ha ****ing funny dick head

I have a 3.95 GPA
2040 SAT score
i was just trying to discuss a (in my opinion a topic that needs to be addressed. your the
stupid one for trying to bring people down because you feel like ****.
Last edited by jakerickman9208 at Nov 1, 2007,
Taking on minorities just to look more ethnically diverse is a form of discrimination in itself really so it's a very hypocritical system. Just research your family tree and hope you had a Grandfather who was from Indonesia or something.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Well if it's any consolation, I think Condoleeza Rice qualifies as a white man.

...kinda makes me ashamed to be a white man, but still.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Meths

+1 This is part of the way to close the gap Meths was talking about. For instance, at my University in New Zealand, second year law is limited entry of about 250-300ish people. 10% of those places are reserved for people of Maori descent. This is because Maori are vastly under represented in the Judiciary and legal professions here. I don't have a problem with it, I think it is a good thing.
Quote by jakerickman9208

I have a 3.95 GPA
2040 SAT score
i was just trying to discuss a (in my opinion a topic that needs to be addressed. your the

I think you should put as much effort into your college apps as you are into worrying about these quotas.
Quote by jakerickman9208

I have a 3.95 GPA
2040 SAT score

well i've met plenty of dumbasses with grades like that. i think what drives it through for me is your complete ignorance of the world around you in addition to the numerous grammatic errors in your posts. dumbass.
Quote by jakerickman9208

I have a 3.95 GPA
2040 SAT score

You can't spell for shit.

I don't feel like shit.

You're clearly retarded.

I win.

And you've taken the SAT? Doesn't that make you like 17 or something?

God damn, you really are stupid. And ignorant.

Quote by Kiwi Ace
+1 This is part of the way to close the gap Meths was talking about. For instance, at my University in New Zealand, second year law is limited entry of about 250-300ish people. 10% of those places are reserved for people of Maori descent. This is because Maori are vastly under represented in the Judiciary and legal professions here. I don't have a problem with it, I think it is a good thing.

I think that's pushing it a bit. Actually reserving places for minorities is IMO a step too far. Using race as the deciding factor in an otherwise evenly matched competition is not as bad.
Theoretically affirmative action is wrong. Discrimination should exist; but it should be based on relevant characteristics of the people involved, which in almost no cases, really almost zero cases relative to those conceivable, is this race or sex or even age. Further it should only extend to those spheres where it's relevant, i.e. a person with poor upper body strength should not be given a job where they're required to do a lot of heavy lifting, but beyond that they shouldn't be restricted.

In practice though - you live in North Carolina.

That was one of the Confederate states, kay?

So maybe quit your whining about how darkies are keeping the white man down.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by Meths
You can't spell for shit.

I don't feel like shit.

You're clearly retarded.

I win.

And you've taken the SAT? Doesn't that make you like 17 or something?

God damn, you really are stupid. And ignorant.

I think that's pushing it a bit. Actually reserving places for minorities is IMO a step too far. Using race as the deciding factor in an otherwise evenly matched competition is not as bad.

can you tell me where i misspelled a word once?
I was joking. I just wanted to be the first one to say it because I know someone would.
Page 1 of 3