Ok, so I was looking up funk stuff, and came about something on about.com, and it shows this (which I've used many times before) as a 5th.

I'm confused as to either why this is a 5th, or why they mistook it. The 5th would be G#/Ab wouldn't it?
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
yeah ur right, it shld be a sus4 surely?!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
c# - f# would be a P4 not a fifth.

so yeah. that's wrong.
the fifth would be G#

Quote by Footzyrama
yeah ur right, it shld be a sus4 surely?!

it wouldn't be a sus4 because it's not a chord. just an interval (or double-stop if you wanna call it that)
a 4 interval is just an inverted 5 interval ie: C - F instead of F - C. if you have a C - F and the bass is playing F, then yes it would be considered an F5 because of the (term of the day here) IMPLIED TONALITY

Do they tell you which 'direction' the interval is in; or which note is played first?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
hah, thanks guys. I sorta forgot about the red dot... hah

But yeah, that makes sense now. Although I'm still working on my theory learning, so there's one thing I sorta understood there, not fully though: Would you guys be able to explain more on the thing that a 4th is an inverted 5th? I'm trying to just work out the web of things, so that would help a lot.

Quote by SideshowRaven24
Quote by icon_player_5

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
the distance from C to F is a perfect 4th (as F is the 4th note of the C major scale)
the distance from F to C is a perfect 5th (C is the 5th not of the F major scale)

so they're the same interval in a sense, just inversions of one another
flip a P4 and you get a P5 and visa versa.
hope that clears it up
So basically...G to D is a 5th, which then makes G the subdom./4th to D, and the same would go for other notes?

Quote by SideshowRaven24
Quote by icon_player_5

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
inverted interval, it works like this to switch it:
subtract number from 9 and change its property unless its a 4th diminished 5th or 5th

ie:
major third, subtract 3 from 9=6, change the quality, and it becomes a minor 6th
minor 7th, subtract 7 from 9, and change quality to non-minor, and you have a perfet second

if an inversion thats a 5th, its a fourth, if a fourth, its a fifth, if its a diminished fifth, it stays a diminished fifth
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.