Alright, aparently this is the right forum for this (sorry Musician's Talk guys), so I've got two questions.

One, I'm gonna buy myself a microphone for vocals soon. I'm not looking for the ultimate sound quality; I'm more concerned with durability and utility, something that won't break. What do you guys reccomend?

Also, can I plug the mic into my bass amp's direct out?
Erm, Shure SM57 is a great mic for instruments/vocals for the price. And through the bass amp, that will sound **** probably.
Quote by Shard Heilia
Yeah, avoid the bass amp if at all possible.

And if you can't afford an SM58 ( Don't use 57 for vocals ), get a PG58, it's a more affordable version of the same mic.

PG58 is a VERY different mic. Hence why it is cheaper. Terrible sounding mic actually. The SM57's and SM58's on the other hand are wonderful and in case you are wondering they are almost exactly the same mic. The only difference is that the SM58 has a little more high end and comes with a windscreen.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
PG58 is a VERY different mic. Hence why it is cheaper. Terrible sounding mic actually. The SM57's and SM58's on the other hand are wonderful and in case you are wondering they are almost exactly the same mic. The only difference is that the SM58 has a little more high end and comes with a windscreen.

Would the PG58 work for backing vocals? I'm thinking about buying the SM58 for lead vocals, then two PG58's for backign vocals.
What you will want to do is
#1 record lead vocals
#2 record backing vocals second each to separate track
This will take place on separate tracks at separate times. Thus - you can use the same mic for every single take.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.