does anyone else find ibanezes to be...well, unoriginal?
i mean almost all of them are almost exactly like other guitars, with humbuckers. Ibanez basses can be good, and fine, but i can think of few original ibanez electric guitars. does anyone else see this?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at Nov 1, 2007,
almost every single company besides fender and gibson have that same problem
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Ibanez's have some of the thinnest necks around. And almost all of their guitars other than the Artist and the Iceman show up all over the place.
Quote by chris_kedro

yeah, i was thinking that too...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Most ESPs are ripoffs of Fender and Gibson designs. As are Jacksons, and Deans, etc. The differences are price, quality, and neck contours. Not to mention features such as trem systems and methods of building (I'd take a Jackson Soloist or ESP MII over a Fender Strat any day)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Most ESPs are ripoffs of Fender and Gibson designs. As are Jacksons, and Deans, etc.

That is the most stupid thing I've heard all day. And I've spent most of it with little kids. ESP and Jackson are amongst the few companies that actually make really unique models. Ibanez to a certain degree, as well. The custom versions of some guitars from the aforementioned companies look like fenders or gibsons, but that is due to the fact that they are models BASED on an already existing guitar. Ripoff... That's stretching it far.
Quote by cashewchaching
does anyone else find ibanezes to be...well, unoriginal?

i dunno, have you ever seen the iceman, xiphos and Jet King? i haven't seen anything else like them (yeah the jet king is kinda jaguar shaped but its a lot different actually)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Most things regarding the electric guitar is unoriginal, if you want a major change go make the sitar mainstream or something lol.
Quote by -Vogel-
Most things regarding the electric guitar is unoriginal, if you want a major change go make the sitar mainstream or something lol.

already been done in the 1960s. and we already have electric sitars
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
already been done in the 1960s. and we already have electric sitars

What would Macgyver have done?
Ibanez makes awesome guitars, great price for the quality on a lot of them (like Artcores).

Most companies have a strat or superstrat anyway.

Who cares about originality, just buy what you think sounds good.
Fender, Gibson, and some Ibanez has original designs.

People tell me that those Parker designs with the crazy thing sticking out on the right cutaway are cool, but I think that looks stupid.
or design your own guitar, I have two going right now
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Yeah, the RG series
but Think about it, the strat design was such a successful one.

I wish more companies would make more double cut LP designs though....favorite evar.
I don't even shred
Quote by Blompcube
i dunno, have you ever seen the iceman, xiphos and Jet King? i haven't seen anything else like them (yeah the jet king is kinda jaguar shaped but its a lot different actually)

Actually, the Xiphos is very much so based off of the BC Rich Stealth.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by Cuddrow
That is the most stupid thing I've heard all day. And I've spent most of it with little kids. ESP and Jackson are amongst the few companies that actually make really unique models. Ibanez to a certain degree, as well. The custom versions of some guitars from the aforementioned companies look like fenders or gibsons, but that is due to the fact that they are models BASED on an already existing guitar. Ripoff... That's stretching it far.

I was building my comment on what the TS started.

You can't say that the Jackson Dinky and Soloist, as well as the ESP M series don't resemble a strat. The Jackson Kelly and ESP EX models are based on a Gibson Explorer, the ESP Eclipse is based off of a Gibson Les Paul, Schecter has several Strat and Tele style guitars. The list goes on.

I know most of them aren't nessecarily ripoffs, but Fender and Gibson layed the basis of almost every guitar design to come after them. A few companies have been original, some haven't. And it's not like I said Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, Dean etc. suck. I personally favor any one of those companies over the guitars that they base thier models on.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by MurderWorship
Actually, the Xiphos is very much so based off of the BC Rich Stealth.

The Stealth AND the Jackson Warrior.

Stupid name.

^It also looks very mudh like that Jackson guitar, is it the Warrior, can't remember the name....

EDIT: Too slow....
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Shinozoku
The Stealth AND the Jackson Warrior.

The Warrior is based off the Stealth. But to be honest, there are quite a few differences between the Warrior and the other 2. The Stealth and Xiphos are much more closely related.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
There are few functional guitar designs left. However, Schecter are doing a great job at coming up with new designs.
Quote by Aidy Damage
There are few functional guitar designs left. However, Schecter are doing a great job at coming up with new designs.

Is Schecter owned by Fender at all? A friend and I are always debating this as he plays random guitars and doesn't really know where any of them come from and I play almost exclusively Schecters.
Quote by Cuddrow

Take a chill pill Mr.Hostile. I think he was just expressing an opinion. To TS, as for Ibanez being unoriginal...to me that doesn't really matter. They make great guitars, and as long as they keep doing that, they will always be a great company.
Be cool.
Ibanez has no soul in its guitar. And soul is important to anything.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
If you take the product line of pretty much any manufacturer, you'll find that most of their designs are shaped like a Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Flying V, Gibson Explorer, or a Fender Stratocaster (Superstrats). Same with Jackson, pretty much.

Most of my favorite companies, including ESP/LTD, Jackson, Schecter, etc. are "guilty" of this too, so to speak. That doesn't make them any better or worse in my opinion. The reason you see people sticking to the 5 basic shapes I mentioned above is because they work. Doing a design that looks stupid and is just plain uncomfortable to hold just for the sake of being "original" is just ****ing dumb as hell.

Quote by Aidy Damage

Schecter basically just makes Superstrat/strat style guitars. Look at the top MF results for shecter: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=schecter

Few of them deviate from the strat design in any significant way.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Ibanez Produces guitars that are used by a large amount of guitarists today. Unlike any other guitar company, Ibanez is the biggest Metal guitar producer today. Any reason why? Because almost ALL of their guitars are built to play the metal genre. Famous metal artists use Ibanez. From the top of my head....MushroomHead? Ah yes! their metal sound? Where does it come from? maybe Their Ibanez Guitars.

Let me make a list of guitarists who use Ibanez Guitars:

Marty Friedman
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Noodles from Offspring
Munky from Korn
That dude from Staind

See? Steve Vai? Satriani? They use Ibanez guitars. They've always used them. It's helped get the sound they wanted.
Quote by *kas
If you take the product line of pretty much any manufacturer, you'll find that most of their designs are shaped like a Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Flying V, Gibson Explorer, or a Fender Stratocaster (Superstrats). Same with Jackson, pretty much.

Most of my favorite companies, including ESP/LTD, Jackson, Schecter, etc. are "guilty" of this too, so to speak. That doesn't make them any better or worse in my opinion. The reason you see people sticking to the 5 basic shapes I mentioned above is because they work. Doing a design that looks stupid and is just plain uncomfortable to hold just for the sake of being "original" is just ****ing dumb as hell.

Schecter basically just makes Superstrat/strat style guitars. Look at the top MF results for shecter: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=schecter

Few of them deviate from the strat design in any significant way.

They do look extremely similar with the few variances in design. Then you see the Synyster, lol.. That thing is a beast. Though, that still doesn't answer my earlier question, is Schecter owned by another company?
Quote by DreamFactory
Ibanez Produces guitars that are used by a large amount of guitarists today. Unlike any other guitar company, Ibanez is the biggest Metal guitar producer today. Any reason why? Because almost ALL of their guitars are built to play the metal genre. Famous metal artists use Ibanez. From the top of my head....MushroomHead? Ah yes! their metal sound? Where does it come from? maybe Their Ibanez Guitars.

Let me make a list of guitarists who use Ibanez Guitars:

Marty Friedman
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Noodles from Offspring
Munky from Korn
That dude from Staind

See? Steve Vai? Satriani? They use Ibanez guitars. They've always used them. It's helped get the sound they wanted.

So i suppose that their amps didnt help? Sure alot of people use ibanez but also alot of people use ESP's, Dean's and Jacksons aswell.

"MushroomHead? Ah yes! their metal sound? Where does it come from? maybe Their Ibanez Guitars. "

No their metal sound comes mainly from their amp's / pedals. Guitars dont make up for alot of the sound that you hear. Most people buy ibanez guitars not for sound but for their playability and comfort.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
It's safe to say that many people get the impression that Ibanez is a post-modern guitar - thin necks, locking trem etc. and in reality it's not the case at all. Pat Metheny, jazz genious, uses and infact has his own signature line with Ibanez. I guess he doesn't mind what he plays as long it suits him well as an individual.
Since electric guitars are a very 'young' breed of instruments, originality is not a real issue with me. Afterall, in a piano or violin forum somewhere in this vast internet universe, I doubt they argue about what brand is the real deal since it's been around for hundreds of years. In guitar terms, we're talking brands that are just a years to decades apart.
Quote by .arkness:.
So i suppose that their amps didnt help? Sure alot of people use ibanez but also alot of people use ESP's, Dean's and Jacksons aswell.

"MushroomHead? Ah yes! their metal sound? Where does it come from? maybe Their Ibanez Guitars. "

No their metal sound comes mainly from their amp's / pedals. Guitars dont make up for alot of the sound that you hear. Most people buy ibanez guitars not for sound but for their playability and comfort.

Good thinking, it seems I was too concentrated on the guitar part >.<

Well, still. The pickups in the guitar made by Ibanez and the guitar itself always makes a difference. It's also how comfortable they are with the guitar.
Quote by prunejuiceman74
They do look extremely similar with the few variances in design. Then you see the Synyster, lol.. That thing is a beast. Though, that still doesn't answer my earlier question, is Schecter owned by another company?

It's not a subsidiary of any company or part of any brand family as far as I know. Check wikipedia

And the synyster one is mad fug fug
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by chris_kedro

wow im like at least the third person to think this exact same thing, two companies did it right first, then the other companies arose and amde money copying their designs.

HOWEVER some other companies, such as ibanez, did a rly freaking good job at doing so. i personally would not get an RG for example, but they certainly dont suck at all
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by DreamFactory
Good thinking, it seems I was too concentrated on the guitar part >.<

Well, still. The pickups in the guitar made by Ibanez and the guitar itself always makes a difference. It's also how comfortable they are with the guitar.

I'm pretty sure most of the high-end Ibanez's ave Dimarzios, not Ibanez pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Whats the story
Ibanez has no soul in its guitar. And soul is important to anything.

Soul is what you make of it. You can't prove that something such as a "soul" exists. I've heard beautiful music from Ibanez guitars.

And Fenders.

And Gibsons.

And ESPs.

You get my point.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
All the superstrats (ie ibanez RG, ESP, schecter, jacksons) came from obviously Fender Stratocasters.

ESP makes Telecaster copies, which are also from fender.

the LP copies from ESP are Gibson rips.

the metal V guitars such as Deans and Jacksons are Gibson Flying V rips.

Explorers were made by Gibson.

So were firebirds.

in conclusion, i agree with the thread.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TJM2482
Ibanez makes awesome guitars, great price for the quality on a lot of them (like Artcores).

Most companies have a strat or superstrat anyway.

Who cares about originality, just buy what you think sounds good.

Exactly,

chances are if your looking for orginality your going to have to have a custom guitar built for a crapload of money. Whats the point of playing guitar to be original?

Im the only person in the world with THE exact guitar I have.

Im original!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate